Do you think we will hear the "PC is dying" again?

• 80 results
Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

It will never die. It has amazing digital distribution stores like Origin, Uplay, and some other client by a small company in Washington.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

fuck no

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

hmmm no, because it changes almost every couple months. One day it's heavy PC parts for crysis, next it's crazy VR Goggles and then it's Free to play business models. the only big factors are when console manufactures buy out heavy developers into making console only games, but even then they eventually come back after 6 years because they love the indie scene since the shareware days.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

@scaramoosh said:

Nope, the PC is cheaper than consoles and now has a stable way of distributing games. This is also the first time ever where console hard launched way behind PC hardware in terms of power, it is night and day already and will only get worse. Not only will there be new hardware for the PC, but all these new low level APIs from Nvidia, AMD and even DX12 will open up access. Benchmarks of BF4 show lower end systems get MASSIVE gains from Mantle, it finally makes low end viable to play demanding games, on the top end of things the FPS went from 100 using DX - 160 using Mantle... 60% increase!

If anything we'll hear consoles are dying first, in fact there are already rumours of Microsoft selling off Xbox.

The difference between the PS4/Xbox One and PC isn't night and day yet. It's certainly noticeable, but it's not like the difference between Far Cry 3 on consoles and Far Cry 3 on PC. But there certainly is a difference, and the gap is only going to get wider. As it stands, my mid-tier PC didn't suddenly become a low-tier PC for modern games, though that could still happen when The Witcher 3 comes out.

Anyway, is there going to be doom-saying for the PC anytime soon? I don't think so. All the doom-sayers are busy with Nintendo, and everybody else is busy enjoying games. And a lot of people like PC. And PC now has stable distribution platforms. It's a much stronger, much tighter platform these days.

In terms of resolution and framerate, it's fairly night and day.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No Steam is way more of a thing this time then last, and because the generation went on so long many people just built great pc's so games still look better on them.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#56  Edited By Justin258

@starfoxa said:

@believer258 said:

@scaramoosh said:

Nope, the PC is cheaper than consoles and now has a stable way of distributing games. This is also the first time ever where console hard launched way behind PC hardware in terms of power, it is night and day already and will only get worse. Not only will there be new hardware for the PC, but all these new low level APIs from Nvidia, AMD and even DX12 will open up access. Benchmarks of BF4 show lower end systems get MASSIVE gains from Mantle, it finally makes low end viable to play demanding games, on the top end of things the FPS went from 100 using DX - 160 using Mantle... 60% increase!

If anything we'll hear consoles are dying first, in fact there are already rumours of Microsoft selling off Xbox.

The difference between the PS4/Xbox One and PC isn't night and day yet. It's certainly noticeable, but it's not like the difference between Far Cry 3 on consoles and Far Cry 3 on PC. But there certainly is a difference, and the gap is only going to get wider. As it stands, my mid-tier PC didn't suddenly become a low-tier PC for modern games, though that could still happen when The Witcher 3 comes out.

Anyway, is there going to be doom-saying for the PC anytime soon? I don't think so. All the doom-sayers are busy with Nintendo, and everybody else is busy enjoying games. And a lot of people like PC. And PC now has stable distribution platforms. It's a much stronger, much tighter platform these days.

In terms of resolution and framerate, it's fairly night and day.

I was thinking more along the lines of graphical detail, lighting effects, particles, etc. But yes, PC's still run games at higher resolutions and framerates.

To be honest, though, the difference between 1280x720 and 1920x1080 isn't really night and day. Yes, there is a difference. A noticeable difference if you're used to playing at the latter, but it's nothing like the difference between PS2 graphics and PS3 graphics. We're getting to a point where the comparisons between resolutions can't really be picked up that well, and those that can pick it up often blow the noticeable - not the technical - difference way out of proportion.

Framerates, though, should never drop below 60. 60 should be a gold standard on anything these days.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Honestly, I think we will hear that PC is dying for quite awhile unless something inspires console gamers. To be honest though, I doubt it. Me and probably most people thought that the steam machines would probably influence many couch gamers to invest in one, but with the high price point I don't think that's going to happen any time soon, especially with the new and cheaper consoles out right now.

Personally, I don't really care if developers stop porting multiplatform games on PC. There are plenty of smaller dev teams who make PC exclusive games that are pretty amazing. Ported games to me are just a luxury to play on PC with higher frame rate and sometimes better textures.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No it's not dying. If anything, I'd say consoles are closer to dying at this point than the PC is, assuming the console makers don't get their shit together soon. I say that because a record number of people are jumping over to the PC, and PC hardware just keeps getting faster and cheaper. It's not like the old days where you needed a $3,000 rig just to play the latest game - these days a system in the $800-$1,000 range is all you really need, and those prices keep getting lower and lower when newer/faster hardware comes out. PCs are quickly approaching console prices - I wouldn't be surprised if a few years from now (assuming we keep going down the road we are now) that console prices and PC prices will be reach or get close to parody with each other. When that eventually happens, there is really no reason to buy consoles anymore - I mean, consoles are pretty much closed-source PCs nowadays anyway so it's not that much of a leap..

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Yeah but we will not be hearing because of games on consoles. It is coming from people declaring the PC will only be for those doing work that requires serious horsepower. The PC is Dying sentiment has been coming from it being replaced by tablets, smartphones, phablets, tabphones, laptops where gaming will always be secondary or use Mobile OSes.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By bybeach

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And 60.00 dollars for gamez also I might add.

Gotta keep up with the Big Boy Consoles!

Buahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Edit- Die PC Motha Fucka, Die!!!

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the PC dying? As a desktop computer that everyone uses? Sure. People spend thousands of dollars on a Mac as a Facebook accessory. That same group of people can do all their computing on tablets and has been migrating to that paradigm. That market is huge.

And while the masses can compute just fine on touch devices, those that still need to do real work will continue to buy and use desktop computers. Comparatively, that market is small, and the PC market will continue to shrink.

The PC gaming market, however? PC gaming didn't blink when Atari and the clones burned the console market to the ground. PC gaming won't return to what it was in the late 90's, early 2000's, when stores like Comp-USA, Computer City, Elek-Tek, Egg Head, and Electronics Boutique were shelved from floor to ceiling in some random, crazy PC games.

I will say that PC gaming was in real danger of being incredibly niche when the XBox came out and Steam wasn't what it was today. With DRM coming from Russia blowing up machines and Microsoft shifting from PC gaming mecca to the ones salting PC gaming's earth, things were looking pretty bad.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Given enough time, I'm sure it will come up again. It's never been a belief that is based in any real fact, just feelings and desires,so it'll be back eventually.

Aelric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why the conflict, really? Some like PC, some like Console. I like both when I can. I'm limited to PC due to my means currently, but I totally want to pick up the new consoles when I can. My ideal is not loyalty to one box or the other, but to have a console trifecta of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo, and a decent but not crazy powered PC for a reasonable cost.

I don't see the markets really being in strict competition with each other. The companies that make games are often porting them to both and it's the consoles that get most of the exclusives, unless you count a lot of indie games and free games.

As far as costs go, well, you save on cheap games during steam sales what you pay for hardware on PC, but console is cheaper to get started with higher priced games usually and a longer time before prices drop. Unless you are pirating, it balances out to the same costs after a year or two, I think.

Finally, Consoles drive PC hardware to upgrade, which in turn drives new consoles to come out. It's a largely symbiotic relationship.

It doesn't have to be a war, folks. We can live together.

The Governor: Liar *decapitates Hershel.*

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Slaegar

>Top Ten Reasons PC Gaming is Dead - Koblobstu

>You'll never guess how much this PC cost to run Crysis 6 - Blame Splotch

>PCs are the most CIS scum platform of 2016 - Geometrywent

>Sexism rampant in computaz - Hat Trick Plebkek

>Xbox One runs Metro: Last Light faster than my $60000 Alienware - Stiff "You can't Prove That" Bravis

>PS4 has 69 PetaFLOPS of performance - Cats on High

>There's no perceptible difference between 3840x2160p120fps and 640x480i30fp2s; also my monitor is broken - Vladimir Coupconstructor

Wait for it. It's coming.

PC gaming was only dying when link baiters ate the ad money of console gamers for a couple years while 10 million people were playing WoW alone and Microsoft was showing off their peak numbers in the 2-3 million the day their biggest brands fell in.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By MikkaQ

I think PC gaming has now shifted to such an indie focused dev platform that it will always be brimming with new titles. Games are easier and easier to make than ever and there are always people with new ideas. PCs are the easiest ways to get your game and idea out there because of Steam, so I feel like there will never be a lack of games. Quality has been going down though if you ask me. Steam is full of shit, and it's getting harder and harder to sift through it.

Amducious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only butt hurt fanboys will declare the PC is dead.

The rest of us know that there is satisfaction to be had from both consoles and PC's as long as the games keep coming.

Avatar image for deactivated-649f07b15d7b8
deactivated-649f07b15d7b8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chop said:

PC as a gaming platform seems much bigger now than the start of the last gen. As long as developers can keep up the good PC ports, I don't think that attitude will happen again.

completely agree.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#69  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I mean there are always people who can't wait to yell from the rooftops that doomsday is coming from one platform or another, but I don't see this opinion having any serious presence this time round. With the rise of digital distribution and the way PC games have flourished over the past several years, the PC is in a very different place now than it was at the start of last gen. If anything I think you're more likely to hear "the console is dying".

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By spyder335

PC will always lead the way, the new consoles are already outclassed by standard gaming PC rigs.

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

"The PC is dying" is on the same level as "THE WORLD ENDS THIS YEAR" to me at this point.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Yeah I think we will maybe sooner than people might expect, simply because less and less people are buying PCs in favor buying Tablets, chromebooks etc. And if families don't have them, tomorrow's kids will grow up without them. And if they grow up without them, most will do their gaming elsewhere and think to do their gaming elsewhere.

I don't think it will actually be dieing but I could the see narrative starting up again.

Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Again? I thought it was just publishers whining about piracy, and us whining about DRM.

Yeah I'm pretty sure thats still going on :3

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

7 million users logged in. Make what you will of it. I don't care.

NeoZeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quite a few people have already said it, but we'll surely hear it again. As we do every year right around the time a big PC release sells "poorly," a lovely little buzzword that really means "We don't have real numbers so let's just lie about it and say it's selling bad."

I'm lucky enough to have a relatively new PC along with a console or two and, as many have said, they all play a role in how I game. I wouldn't give PC up for sure.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Slaegar

@slag said:

Yeah I think we will maybe sooner than people might expect, simply because less and less people are buying PCs in favor buying Tablets, chromebooks etc. And if families don't have them, tomorrow's kids will grow up without them. And if they grow up without them, most will do their gaming elsewhere and think to do their gaming elsewhere.

I don't think it will actually be dieing but I could the see narrative starting up again.

Peoples' HP Pavilion Laptoasters can barely run youtube at 720p. A nongaming computer struggles with Minecraft so it doesn't matter that they are buying $500 twitter checkers because they couldn't have played games with their burner computers anyway.

These people spend $100 on a Thursday at a bar and expect their $300 laptop/all-in-one to last them five years of limewire. A client seriously asked me 11 days ago if this computer they bought at Walmart will last them until they die.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#78  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Maybe not for the PSV/Xbox TWO launch, but probably for PSVI/Xbox One-II, that's pretty much how it went throughout the 90's as I recall.

They'd be wrong of course, but that won't stop them.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#79 fisk0  Moderator

@slaegar said:

@slag said:

Peoples' HP Pavilion Laptoasters can barely run youtube at 720p. A nongaming computer struggles with Minecraft so it doesn't matter that they are buying $500 twitter checkers because they couldn't have played games with their burner computers anyway.

These people spend $100 on a Thursday at a bar and expect their $300 laptop/all-in-one to last them five years of limewire. A client seriously asked me 11 days ago if this computer they bought at Walmart will last them until they die.

Keep in mind that Youtube uses flash and Minecraft was built in Java, not the most resource efficient things out there. On my previous GPU I had issues playing youtube videos in 720p and playing Minecraft, but could still play pretty much everything but Crysis 3 and Battlefield 4 without issues.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nah, but I think we are gonna start hearing about consoles are dying more often thou

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I know at the beggining of last gen everyone was saying that, even publishers were always complaining about the PC. Do you think we will hear the same later this gen or has that passed?

Of course we will. We've been hearing "PCs are dying!" "consoles are dying!" "Gaming handhelds are dying!" "[insert thing people give a shit about] is dying!" since the internet came to be. The reason for this is that, much like industry blowhard Michael Pachter, many people have no concept of demographics. For many, if something doesn't have the mythical "universal appeal," it's in decline. Part of this is people thinking that most people are like them. Lots of people love Steam, but others find it to be just another form of unacceptable DRM. Some people would rather save money and have an easy to use out-of-the-box experience, while others want the ability to tinker and customize to get the perfect gaming environment, time and money be damned. Some people prefer platformers, or family games, or shooters, or MMOs, etc... The fact that we're in such a diverse market is a good thing. There's something for everyone, but many still hold to the idea that the market is some homogenous, monolithic hive mind, and things that can't be marketed to every living being on the planet aren't worth the investment anymore. Shit, even retro gaming is seeing popularity rise.

Unfortunately, pundits and absolutists will never go away, and websites that are seeing reduced lag revenue will go for the easy clicks, even if it cultivates a toxic community.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Jorbit

@noizy said:

12:54pm OH GOD PC IS DYIN-

Oh phew