Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do You Use Mods? (210 votes)

Yes, even if it's on my first playthrough. 40%
Yes, but only on my second run and beyond. 39%
No, I like to play as the developer intended/mods just don't appeal to me. 18%
No, it's too much hassle to get them working/I only have time to play games once, so I don't. 8%
I can't because I only play on consoles, but I would. 1%
I can't because I only play on consoles, and I wouldn't even if I could. 2%
I've made my own mods! 8%
I don't know what mods are or have an opinion, and just want to see the results! 0%

With the revelation that XCOM 2 is going to have some fucking serious mod support right out of the gate, including mods available on launch, I find myself torn between playing the base game as it is presented, or diving in and adding mods right from day one.

No, seriously. It's something like 40GB's of assets plus debuggers, scripting tools, and the same Unreal Engine editing tools the devs used, right on day one.
No, seriously. It's something like 40GB's of assets plus debuggers, scripting tools, and the same Unreal Engine editing tools the devs used, right on day one.

Mods are a big part of PC gaming, and solid mod support can add years to the life of a game or can help shore up some of the technical limitations that a PC port may have. And yet, I find myself wondering how much of the GB community feels the same, and whether you crack open a mod manager on day one, or wait until the base game loses its appeal.

A few quick notes (because I didn't want to make the poll options into paragraphs):

• If there are console games that use mods, I'm not aware of them. The infrastructure of a console would seem to make modding pretty impossible.
  • If you've done any modding at all, even if it's just fucking around with an .ini file for fun, I'd like to hear about it. I'm curious as to how many people even do that much.
  • I'd also be interested in how extensively you mod a game: are you more into total conversions, or just fixing things that are broken?
 • 
aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I tend to use mods for "quality of life" reasons. Like removing encumbrance or making sure npc merchants have enough money to buy my stuff.