Do you usually rent or buy a video game?

Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mikewrestler5

When a new game comes out, I usually go out and buy it. But about two or so months after release, I start regretting that I purchased instead of just renting it. Once I am done with a game, it just usually sits on the shelf. 

error5305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By error5305

It depends on the type of game, renting games is almost dead, but I wish I could rent some games but I really love being able to replay, replay,

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64

Buy.  I haven't rented a game in years.

iSylence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By iSylence

I buy, I only get ones that I really want and that get reviewed with at least 4 stars though. This list still tends to be rather large of course.

SCOOTMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SCOOTMAN

For the most part, I buy games. Those games usually have to be either RPGs or have multiplayer though.

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By one_2nd
@JJOR64 said:
" Buy.  I haven't rented a game in years. "
yep, this. well not years, but very rarely..
canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By canucks23

Used to rent a lot of games, but my rental place closed down last year. Now i buy everything i play. I miss the option of being able to rent a game though, seeing as there's no rental places around here at all now and gamefly isn't in Canada. I end up making a lot more purchases that i've come to regret compared to when i had the option of renting something.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By jkz

I rent a lot through game-fly. I'd say about 1/2 - 3/4 of the games I play are rentals from gamefly.

Utiow21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Utiow21

I've bought nearly every game I've played. If a game seems really short and not worth the full price tag, I'll just wait until it's cheap. Now that I'm a PC gamer too, many steam sales make really solid games cheaper to buy than they would be to rent for a few days. (Just picked up Red Faction Guerilla for $5.)

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#10  Edited By vager

I occasionally rent. Usually it's on a whim, when I'm bored and don't want to spend a ton of money. 
I primary buy the games I really want to play.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By Hamst3r

Buy. I haven't rented a game since the N64.

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By nukesniper

I rarely ever rent anything at all. I tend to buy the games I play, but sometimes very long after launch. I don't like to spend $60 on a game I might like, but in the case of things I know I will love, I will throw out over a hundred bones. Rock Band 3 and Starcraft being my recent splurges. 

I wouldn't have bought Halo Reach if it wasn't $40.Generally the $40 line is what I can comfortably afford for a game I know I will enjoy. 

All that crap said, I totally buy way too many games, but most of mine are purchased for the sub-thirty dollar pricepoint.

bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bibledoctor

Depends on the game really. If it is a game that i've read up on or played its predecessors, I usually buy it. If its a new game, or one that I have heard very little of I will usually borrow or rent the game.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jasta

"Why rent when you can own?" - Jeff Gerstman

None

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By None

I buy my games. Game rentals are really not that big of a thing in Finland, and I really like to have a big collection of games.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Bouke

I buy most of my games; sometimes i borrow a game from a friend, but i've never rented a game.
Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#17  Edited By Dimsey

Buy. Rather play a game at my own pace then have a return date dictate how long I spend with it.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By crusader8463

I play PC games so you can't rent games.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sameeeeam

I usually purchase all my games. If there's a game I'm not interested enough to outright BUY, chances are I'm not going to have the time to play it either.

FordFairlane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By FordFairlane

Now that Blockbuster online has added game rentals to its service free of charge, I'll be renting the linear, single playthrough games like God of War & Assassin's Creed, and buying the large, open-world RPGs like Fallout & Oblivion, along with whatever my chosen online shooter is at the time.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By penguindust

Both.  I have a subscription to Gamefly and I play all the games not really worth a full (or even bargain) purchase.  Games I will only play once in my life and games that will take just a couple of days to get through.  Games I plan to replay over and over I buy.  Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is something I play over and over.  That's a buy.  Halo ODST took 2-1/2 nights to breeze through the single player.  That's a rental.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FacelessVixen

Buy; mainly becuase I want to further build my collection, but also because I usually end up really liking the game of which I watch trailers of or have played the demo.

VetleNM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By VetleNM

I always buy my games. For me, time is the limiting factor, not money, and I already have a huge backlog of games I have to get through. Even if there was someplace I could rent games from (there's not, to my knowledge), I probably would've preferred to buy them anyway. Besides, it's nice to have them available in the shelf if I ever feel nostalgic (say, if I want to check out how Red Dead Redemption's holding up five years down the road).

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#24  Edited By citizenkane

I have usually bought them (which is why I have played not as many games as I would have liked to over the years), but in Januart I finally started GameFly and have rented a lot more games so far this year than bought.  The only new game I plan to buy is Call of Duty: Black Ops.  The rest of the games I will rest beginning December when my semester ends.

Balex1908

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Balex1908

If I can finish a game over a weekend I will rent it(Enslaved). I dont care about achievements/trophies so once I finish a game I am done with it.
I only buy big RPG`s (Fallout, Dragon AGE etc,) good open world games(AC2, RDR) and 1 or 2 FPS every year for the multiplayer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I ahve never rented a game, but I don't tend to play games that you wouldn't want to play after you complete it.

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mrskidders

My friend runs a few indie games shops in the South so he sends me new releases for everything but the Wii.  Which is nice.

LtKetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LtKetch

I usually buy. At this point in my life I have enough disposable income to buy what I have time to play.  Also renting games where I live is a waste of time. Blockbuster is the closest and best stocked store, but they never have what I what when I want it.  If I relied on them I would be waiting months to play games as they are always out of anything new.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DrPockets000

Completely depends on the game, my interest in said game, and my financial situation at the time.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Buy. Though most of my collection consists of used games that I bought for about $15 a piece.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By Vorbis

I havm't rented a game since the Megadrive. I'm not against it but I just like having a huge shelf of games, even if they aren't all amazing.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hourai

Rent. I only have 7 games, yet I've played like 30-40. 

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't rented a game since I was 7.