Does anyone else actually miss the historical shooter?

the_ellio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By the_ellio

Here me out here...
Remember when ever other shooter on the market was a WW2 shooter? After all, we had Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, and others (i.e. Brothers in Arms) all setting themselves in that little 6 year timeframe known as World War II and by the time Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare came out, people were ready to put down their MP40s and Tommy Guns for M16s and badass sniper rifles. It definitely was a great change (with CoD 4 essentially reinvigorating the shooter market and spawning a multibillion dollar franchise), but at this point, shooters of today are all either about finding a hidden stash of destructive weapons of mass destruction, special ops soldiers, and lots of night vision. Remember the chaotic excitement of the Russian campaign? Remember fighting hordes of Germans in El Alaimein as a British desert trooper? Remember going that one climactic scene with you and your fellow American GI's crossing the Rhine River into the heart of Germany?. What I'm trying to say is bring back the battlefields of history! I'm not preaching to developers to create a game about the fight against Hitler and them Nazis against, but give me something that isn't about being the most badass and dangerous motherf'ing special ops dude with a grenade launcher on his assault rifle. I want to be the French Revolutionaire fighting for Napoleon. I want to be a British grunt fighting in the trenches of World War I, charging blindly at the enemy with my bayonet. I want to be an American naval officer during the Boxer Rebellion in China during the 19th Century. These are things I want to see in video games that give me an experience I've never seen before.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By beej
@the_ellio: So what you're saying is Roman Legionare FPS?  No I'm joking, but yes I'd like to see some other historical contexts examined. Maybe they'd be more first person action and less first person shooter (trench warfare would be really boring as just a shooter) 
kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By kingzetta

Darkest of days mother fucker

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By 1337W422102

I agree with you!  I'm really tired of the modern military FPS.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By beej
@kingzetta: well ok, let's clarify, I want a shooter that examines interesting historical set pieces while also being a good game. 
Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

I agree, there should be some more historical shooters but really anything before WW2 is pretty uninteresting in anything but an RTS.

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By conker

There needs to be more creativity I think. While setting is important, I think there needs to be more thinking  involved in storytelling.  

Also, I miss Quake :(

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By subject2change

Both have been done to death, WW2 games as well as the Modern Combat ones thats why Red Dead was such a nice thing to see as Western games are fairly rare. Vietnam hasn't been done to death yet but you can only get so much of a story from that I suppose. Need more future shooters as they give much more creative freedom

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ryanwho

Revolutionary War. Quick reload perk lowers reload from 2 minutes to 40 seconds.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@the_ellio:   /followed 

@ryanwho said:
" Revolutionary War. Quick reload perk lowers reload from 2 minutes to 40 seconds. "
hahahahah post of the fucking day xD
kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By kingzetta
@beej said:
" @kingzetta: well ok, let's clarify, I want a shooter that examines interesting historical set pieces while also being a good game.  "
ain't gotta happen
EchoForge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By EchoForge

I personally found it hard to go back to pre-modern FPS after Modern Warfare; ie. going back to frustrating older weapons, specifically. Sure, modern, or near-future, games are seemingly a dime a dozen these days, but it's not like I play all of them enough to get sick of them. Plus, sadly, I don't have quite the knack for history/historical battles to want to experience those settings to begin with. 

I'm unsure if in the minority, though.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Claude

I read of some people still playing Counter Strike. I'm thinking they never left.

dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dystonym

ON TO THE FUTURE!

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

PUNCH A HORSE.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iam3green
@Claude said:
" I read of some people still playing Counter Strike. I'm thinking they never left. "
yep,they never left.  i play counter strike: source all the time. i think it's more of a PC thing to do that. 

i'm happy that they moved from world war 2 to modern warfare. world war 2 was last generation. i played a little bit of them but after hearing all the time of a new one coming out i didn't buy them.  there aren't to many modern warfare games compared to world war 2 ones. 

i am going to say that next generation is going to be future combat. so expect LAZERS- PEW PEW.
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Skald

Spoiler: America wins. Even in the Vietnam/Desert Storm-era games, America somehow wins.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Oldirtybearon

The main post is exactly why I'm looking forward to Homefront and Bulletstorm (I was one of the Dicktits who pre-ordered). They're both different from typical FPSs today, one offering a contextual narrative that could be thought provoking and poignant, the other being Homefront.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By StaticFalconar
@Subject2Change said:
" Both have been done to death, WW2 games as well as the Modern Combat ones thats why Red Dead was such a nice thing to see as Western games are fairly rare. Vietnam hasn't been done to death yet but you can only get so much of a story from that I suppose. Need more future shooters as they give much more creative freedom "
To the MOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DystopiaX

I could go back to something like that. Hell, i thought the concept of darkest of days was interesting, until everything about that game was crap. But if there were a competent shooter that took you through different eras of time, I could be on board. 

I think that the next thing could be alt history shooters, kinda like Homefront. Maybe go further back in time but do something like WWII with some circumstances changed or something, so the time period is vaguely familiar but you're not storming normandy for the millionth time.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@DystopiaX said:
" I could go back to something like that. Hell, i thought the concept of darkest of days was interesting, until everything about that game was crap. But if there were a competent shooter that took you through different eras of time, I could be on board.  I think that the next thing could be alt history shooters, kinda like Homefront. Maybe go further back in time but do something like WWII with some circumstances changed or something, so the time period is vaguely familiar but you're not storming normandy for the millionth time. "
Is it wrong that I read that and my mind jumped to the first ten minutes of Mass Effect 2? 

Because I totally never want to play through that again. It was heartbreaking enough the first time. D:
themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By themangalist
I think we moved on because back 5 years ago everyone was screaming STOP MAKING WWII GAMES. CoD:WaW felt pretty chaotic as a real battlefield should be. But that's the only game that came to mind if you refuse to accept Darkest of Days as a genuinely good game.
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DystopiaX
@KingWilly said:
" @DystopiaX said:
" I could go back to something like that. Hell, i thought the concept of darkest of days was interesting, until everything about that game was crap. But if there were a competent shooter that took you through different eras of time, I could be on board.  I think that the next thing could be alt history shooters, kinda like Homefront. Maybe go further back in time but do something like WWII with some circumstances changed or something, so the time period is vaguely familiar but you're not storming normandy for the millionth time. "
Is it wrong that I read that and my mind jumped to the first ten minutes of Mass Effect 2?  Because I totally never want to play through that again. It was heartbreaking enough the first time. D: "
I saw a preview where they showed off the new Normandy, so I wasn't too sad since I knew that I'd get an even better ship within the first hour or so.
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DystopiaX
@themangalist said:
" I think we moved on because back 5 years ago everyone was screaming STOP MAKING WWII GAMES. CoD:WaW felt pretty chaotic as a real battlefield should be. But that's the only game that came to mind if you refuse to accept Darkest of Days as a genuinely good game. "
I'm not talking WWII specifically, you could do Cold War, hell, go farther back in time, I'm sure someone could make it work. Do some weird steampunk shit. My point is that we're running out of realistic time periods that make compelling shooters, so either you do some sci-fi shooter shit (which we did even before WWII shooters and Halo/GoW/resistance is still doing), or you come up with "alternate" universes.
dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By dagas

If they did another WW2 game it would have to be something different. Maybe playing as the Germans or Japanese for a change (but I bet that would be to controversial) or maybe playing the early war 1939-40 which would be a very different experience since at that point since the weapons are different than the tanks, planes etc we know from CoD and are from the later part of the war. There is so much to choose from, I'd like an open world WW2 FPS sort of like STALKER or Far Cry 2 where maybe you play as a resistance fighter and you can blow up tracks, assassinate officers or whatever, it's up to you and what you do will dynamically affect the gameplay. 

I don't want to see another invasion of Normandie or another North Africa or Stalingrad or Guado Canal. Give me Narvik, Ethiopia, Belgrad or something. It's a world war after all and there's a whole world to choose from and yet it's always France, Germany, Russia or the Pacific you fight in. 

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By meteora

They need a pre-WW1 shooter in the market baby. 

Because if it aint, then its either WW2, Modern or Futuristic/Sci-fi.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By Tordah
the_ellio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By the_ellio
@DystopiaX: 
I think that actually sounds like the perfect route to take at this point! A perfect balance between some great alternative history and solid FPS action is the ideal for me. In addition, I think a big thing FPS shooters could learn to do is create a cohesive universe like Mass Effect, where there's lots of depth to the world you play in.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By MysteriousBob
@ryanwho said:
" Revolutionary War. Quick reload perk lowers reload from 2 minutes to 40 seconds. "

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By SSully

I would rather they get creative and make up stuff. I like Killzone's world because it has the same kind of struggle like during WW2, but the environments are all original so they can make it interesting. That is most likely why i am more excited for KZ3 then i have been for a shooter in awhile. 

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SSValis

yea I do a little bit

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MikkaQ

I have a conundrum where I find old guns boring and modern shooters over done. 

I think maybe i want more hollywood action thriller experiences and less war movie. Like a Bourne style action game.