Does anyone here work or has worked in the games industry?

ClownDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ClownDetective

I just wanted to ask because until recently I worked myself at a games testing company, it was small, but I worked on some big titles of last year until I was laid off. A lot of my workmates went off to work at other testing companies. 
It's not really that hard to become a tester, and bioware constantly advertise for writers - which sounds like a dream job.

Anyone else done anything like this or would like to?

FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FartyMcNarly

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Your ass got FIRED! BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

ClownDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ClownDetective
@FartyMcNarly: my office closed down, I was laid off with about 30 other people. Not really fired, but thanks for the support.
FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FartyMcNarly

BAHAHAHAHAHHAHA FIRED! BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'm currently at university studying computer games programming so I expect to be in the games industry one day.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

ill get back to you in 5 years 

also @FartyMcNarly: you suck.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Daryl

I help the gaming industry as a consumer. 

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Tiwi
@ClownDetective: How'd you get into game testing? also can you say what games you tested?or is that confidential...>_>
Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Driadon

Well, I'll tell you what the last person in the industry told me when I told him I was going into school to be a designer "Well, get designing." He meant it as a if-you-want-to-be-what-you-want-to-be-start-now sort of way. Same could be applied to your writing; get writing.

ClownDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ClownDetective
@tiwi said:

" @ClownDetective: How'd you get into game testing? also can you say what games you tested?or is that confidential...>_> "

If you do google searches you can find a bunch of places that hire for games testers, but it can take a while. also, go to games companies'  websites and check the careers section. If you know more languages than just English then you have an even better chance. There's functionality testing, and linguistic testing.

I worked on Ghostbusters, bionic command, riddick, and a bunch of those crappy casual wii and ds games. Thats confidential, but since I was laid off my contract was nullified.

@Driadon said:
" Well, I'll tell you what the last person in the industry told me when I told him I was going into school to be a designer "Well, get designing." He meant it as a if-you-want-to-be-what-you-want-to-be-start-now sort of way. Same could be applied to your writing; get writing. "

That's abslutely true. I don't expect to get into it easily. I've already written a demo quest for Bioware Edmonton, and I'm working for one in Austin.