Does gaming interfere with your studies?

Avatar image for mancombseepgood
MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MancombSeepgood

So, I was just wondering really how some of you deal with your hobby while also having to commit a lot of time to studying. I'm doing a health studies course at College, and as you can probably imagine it's A LOT of work... We have to write a lot of reports and do a lot of research and it's just dire... 

So basically, I put off my work a lot. I procrastinate immensely and I just end up playing games instead of working on reports that are due in the next morning. I don't even know why I let it happen, but I sit at my computer with Word open, type my title and just blank out, lose all motivation and go off and play something. It's really quite bad.

We're on summer break now, and I just managed to pass this year by the skin of my teeth. Next year will be more work and it'll be harder, so I'll have even less time to dedicate to gaming. I'm saying to myself now, before I start again in September, that I'm going to work hard and not let gaming or, for that matter, my social life, interfere with my work, but I already know that it is not gonna work.

So are any of you guys similar? I guess you could apply similar things to work for those of you who have done school and college/uni.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

Go cold turkey for the first few weeks of the next term. Then you can start working games back into your schedule where they can fit, but you won't feel like you have to play more because you'll hopefully have developed a good study schedule in the absence of games the past several weeks. 

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By meteora

Gaming is literally the devil when it comes to studying. Though I'm also naturally a procrastinator, so that doesn't help.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Bigandtasty

Nah. I'd be lazy with or without games. Occasionally if a game is good enough I'll go out of my way to play it a lot, but it won't be much more time than what normal laziness takes from me.

MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MancombSeepgood
@JJWeatherman:  Ha, I could try that. I mean, for the last few weeks of the year, I didn't play anything (which was painful, had Red Dead Redemption calling my name) so that I could finish off, and that's what saved me, but it was just so stressful, I wanna try and be on top of it next year!

@Meteora: Oh, definitely, me too. I'm so bad for it. Even when I set out to do work and promise not to play games or do anything else, I just sit staring at my screen. It's really quite bad.
nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By nail1080
@Meteora said:
" Gaming is literally the devil when it comes to studying.
This, try to cut them out altogether, don't sacrifice your future over games, not worth it.
MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MancombSeepgood
@nail1080 said:
" @Meteora said:
This, try to cut them out altogether, don't sacrifice your future over games, not worth it. "
I know but... But they're so fun! ;_;

Seriously though, I just have to find a happy medium, that's the problem at the moment. I can't seem to prioritise correctly. I guess I'll have to see how it goes next year and just really promise myself that I'll study..
SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By SpiralStairs

No, studying interferes with my gaming.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By VisariLoyalist

Does studying interfere with your gaming???

Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rehehelly

It doesn't matter if you stop gaming, you'll find another way to procrastinate. 

Just gotta have some will power and do your work. Luckily I managed to get a 1st in my first year of university, even though I had a day of revision before each exam.  PROCRASTINATION. TOO MUCH FUN.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By toowalrus

I really just played WoW my senior year in highschool, rather than doing my homework... but ya know, it WAS senior year, nobody really did much of anything, once you're sure you've got enough credits to graduate, the rest of the year is pretty chill.

CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CandleJakk

Games are what caused me to flunk my AS Levels (the year before A Level finals in the UK), but it's what made me realise where I wanted to go in my career.

Now gaming IS my study.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By meteora
@TooWalrus said:
" I really just played WoW my senior year in highschool, rather than doing my homework... but ya know, it WAS senior year, nobody really did much of anything, once you're sure you've got enough credits to graduate, the rest of the year is pretty chill. "
What about marks for college/university? <.<
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By toowalrus
@Meteora said:
" @TooWalrus said:
" I really just played WoW my senior year in highschool, rather than doing my homework... but ya know, it WAS senior year, nobody really did much of anything, once you're sure you've got enough credits to graduate, the rest of the year is pretty chill. "
What about marks for college/university? <.< "
Last semester I got 2 A's and 2 B's, and I'm happy with that. I play very casually now, you've got to have your priority's straight, ya know?
InTheEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By InTheEnd

Games or not, I usually go all out to avoid studying. 

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By nail1080
@MancombSeepgood said:
" @nail1080 said:
" @Meteora said:
This, try to cut them out altogether, don't sacrifice your future over games, not worth it. "
I know but... But they're so fun! ;_;  Seriously though, I just have to find a happy medium, that's the problem at the moment. I can't seem to prioritise correctly. I guess I'll have to see how it goes next year and just really promise myself that I'll study.. "
seriously though, gaming brought down my degree score this year, I missed out on the score i wanted by 1% and to be honest i never studied because i just wanted to game all the time. I t's a pretty bad influece in that regard, I say enjoy the summer for gaming and some holidays but on the usual day to day weekdays stick to the books and you'll be happier overall
MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MancombSeepgood
@nail1080 said:
" @MancombSeepgood said:
" @nail1080 said:
" @Meteora said:
I know but... But they're so fun! ;_;  Seriously though, I just have to find a happy medium, that's the problem at the moment. I can't seem to prioritise correctly. I guess I'll have to see how it goes next year and just really promise myself that I'll study.. "
seriously though, gaming brought down my degree score this year, I missed out on the score i wanted by 1% and to be honest i never studied because i just wanted to game all the time. I t's a pretty bad influece in that regard, I say enjoy the summer for gaming and some holidays but on the usual day to day weekdays stick to the books and you'll be happier overall "
That sucks man, I'm sorry to hear that. It does scare me that I'll fail, it's just my unwillingness to change I guess. Come September, I really hope to get my head down and work harder than I did the previous year. I may have passed but damn, it was close.
Remedy25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Remedy25

Not really...I usually only play on the weekends and usually late at night when nothing else is going on. What does get in the way slightly is my sports...I commit to them more than anything else.

Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Ferginator4k
@JJWeatherman said:
" Go cold turkey for the first few weeks of the next term. Then you can start working games back into your schedule where they can fit, but you won't feel like you have to play more because you'll hopefully have developed a good study schedule in the absence of games the past several weeks.  "
Ive done this, it works quite well.
Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20  Edited By Castiel

You should ask: Does you studying interfere with your gaming? 

This thread is fail!

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zeforgotten

It kinda did once.  
It was the day before an exam and some new game had just come out. 
Played the game all night, then came school-time and I got a perfect result on it. 
Perfect score for me! woo!! 
Though that's not hard to do in this country with our books being what they are.  

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By krazy_kyle
@Castiel:
Coming from the guy who made the thread "All girls should see this XD" 

fail...
ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ectoplasma
@Ferginator4k said:

" @JJWeatherman said:

" Go cold turkey for the first few weeks of the next term. Then you can start working games back into your schedule where they can fit, but you won't feel like you have to play more because you'll hopefully have developed a good study schedule in the absence of games the past several weeks.  "

Ive done this, it works quite well. "
I support this one, too. If you have problems to stop playing games, the easiest thing to do is not making compromises which u just use to trick yourself into playing games anyway. Like, now I could play for half an hour before I start. This is not going to happen. But I'm pretty sure if you're convinced that games are not good for you at this point in your life you have the motivation to just stop gaming. Some people here say you will find different things to procrastinate with. This is entirely plausible but it doesn't have to apply to your situation, especially how you described it yourself.  
One thing that leads to more and more procrastiation is the feeling of being late already. So if you feel that you're behind and feel a little guilty about it, it can lead to this vicious cycle were you just procrastinate to not having to deal with the fact that you're late. So the only thing to do there is just do your work, no matter how u feel. 
voodooterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By voodooterror

im doing a degree in advanced A.I programming so in some ways, gaming is studying!    

IesuNoel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By IesuNoel
@JJWeatherman said:
"Go cold turkey for the first few weeks of the next term. Then you can start working games back into your schedule where they can fit, but you won't feel like you have to play more because you'll hopefully have developed a good study schedule in the absence of games the past several weeks.  "

Yeah, works well for work to.  Started my job 8 months ago and slacked off playing Dragon Age: Origins.  That went for a month, glad that my boss was a gamer and understood.  Sat me down and told me to go cold just for a week then work it in little by little.  I don't finish games that fast nowadays but then I get more out of my work and games.   

Who woulda thought a college drunkard would turn out all nice and responsible like? 

Now if only I could quit smoking...
Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Arbie

Anything can interfere with studies. I can find staring at walls more of a worthwhile time if I want to. On the plus side though, whilst at college I could throw together an essay within an hour that would still get me good grades. So it never really impacted me. Can't say it will be the same with Uni though.

mubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By mubblegum

I never let gaming get in the way of my studying. But I'm really disciplined with myself. It's about finding a balance.

iSylence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By iSylence

I barely game at all during semester. I just check out what the latest haps are for games on here and occasionally buy a 4 or 5 star game that takes my fancy. On average I probably get through 7 or 8 full length games a year, and about 5 of them are during my breaks :)

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It did, yes. A mix between games and alcohol caused me to fail my university degree. Now it doesn't, because I'm not studying, no do I have money to buy games.

EvolutionX0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By EvolutionX0
Yeah, but I'm planning to cut down on my gaming once college starts again. but with all these great games coming out soon its going to be hard lol.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By AhmadMetallic

fcourse

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#32  Edited By citizenkane
@SpiralStairs said:
" No, studying interferes with my gaming. "
wormz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By wormz

It's the opposite for me. Often I feel like I'm wasting my time playing games, even if I've worked for 10-12 hours, done everything for the day and should relax (what the doctor said). That's why I sometimes don't play any video games for a week or two. It was way different when I was younger and in school so I guess it's just that I've found something as important as games.

tofford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By tofford

This year my xbox went off to be repaired over my exam period I couldn't have planned it better

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By swamplord666

Not at all for me. I basically stop playing games because I just feel like shit for playing instead of studying. Sadly I waste alot more time watching videos on Break and going on forums because I can do it without thinking whereas playing a game is a conscious decision. 

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By shiftymagician

Gaming doesn't interfere with me at all when studying.  I usually play them at times just to guess the programming logic that lets the game play the way it does.  If there are bugs, I always think of logical ideas as to how it might have happened in the code.

Ok, that was a poor excuse for me to deny wasting time hehehe.  In all seriousness, yea I am just making excuses.  Play and study moderately, and you should be fine.  If you like your course, you should not even have a problem like this in the first place, unless you have problems resisting the temptation to see what happens next in your game.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By c1337us

No because I am not studying anymore. And work often interferes in my gaming. Not because I am not home enough. But when I do get home I often don't have the mental fortitude to play games so I turn to watching TV on DVD a lot.

Ashby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ashby
@MancombSeepgood: 
Absolutely! But when I was in college, I more procrastinated on the internet WATCHING people play games than actually playing them. I got a little obsessed with this guy called OTG on youtube, who plays through games and provides funny commentary. Most of them are games I'd never play myself, so I got all caught up watching all these videos. I'd have one window open playing his videos in a corner, another open with random internet stuff on it, and a word document open too, mostly blank. : ) However, I'm someone who works better under pressure, so I'd always put out my best work the night before it was due anyway.
jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jasta

In primary school it did because having fun seemed like the only important thing at that age.

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

studies?

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

There were quite a few occasions in my first year of university where I really wanted to game but couldn't because I knew I had work to do. My next year of university is supposed to be tough though so it's gonna be hard to resist the urge to game.

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By fini_fly

It's interfering right now.

lewigi2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By lewigi2012

I'm not in school anymore but when I was in Sixth Form (last two years of school before University in England), I did start to play World of Warcraft again and got to Level 80 during the last few months which was really critical but, I still finished my Computing coursework to the best of my ability and I passed 2 out of 3 courses (with the lowest grade but that's because it was just too damn hard for me. I couldn't cope =/) So, no, it didn't affect me at all.
Just wish though that I had something to show for... I just don't feel capable of anything =/ [/depression]

Skilbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Skilbs

Trying to Juggle playing games, making games and learning about games has been very difficult lately. Our labs have a 360 at each desk. Several lab sessions in the past have turned into l4d lan sessions on the PCs or messing around with XBLA games. Luckily I have a year out now to focus more on the making side of things.