Does it hurt you as much as it hurts me?

SpawnMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 10

Edited By SpawnMan

I added a person to my friend's list today. It's the shortest friendship I've ever had - within 5 hours he'd removed and blocked me, for seemingly no reason. Now it shouldn't hurt me. I mean sure he was cool and we got on and had played before through various other friends, but it shouldn't really hurt should it? Well it does! Which is something I can never understand. 

I genuinely hate being deleted. Even if I haven't talked to the person in years, if I know that at one time, we were good friends, I'll never delete them, and in a way I expect the same. I keep a log of all my friends on my computer JUST so I can see who deleted me and then call them up and ask why and try to get them back. They feel like real friends to me and I try to be the best friend to them as I can too. It's a curse and a blessing to me, but in the end, when stuff like this happens it really does annoy me. I mean delete me, but don't block me. Or at least say you have. 

So what do you think? Do you feel that online friendships are equal to real life or at least more evolved than mere anonymous flings? Do you get hurt when someone deletes you? Even if you were good friends? Even if you did nothing wrong? Have you ever tried to get a friend back or do you just let them go? Let me know your thoughts.

SpawnMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SpawnMan

I added a person to my friend's list today. It's the shortest friendship I've ever had - within 5 hours he'd removed and blocked me, for seemingly no reason. Now it shouldn't hurt me. I mean sure he was cool and we got on and had played before through various other friends, but it shouldn't really hurt should it? Well it does! Which is something I can never understand. 

I genuinely hate being deleted. Even if I haven't talked to the person in years, if I know that at one time, we were good friends, I'll never delete them, and in a way I expect the same. I keep a log of all my friends on my computer JUST so I can see who deleted me and then call them up and ask why and try to get them back. They feel like real friends to me and I try to be the best friend to them as I can too. It's a curse and a blessing to me, but in the end, when stuff like this happens it really does annoy me. I mean delete me, but don't block me. Or at least say you have. 

So what do you think? Do you feel that online friendships are equal to real life or at least more evolved than mere anonymous flings? Do you get hurt when someone deletes you? Even if you were good friends? Even if you did nothing wrong? Have you ever tried to get a friend back or do you just let them go? Let me know your thoughts.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mylifeforAiur

I have the problem of adding to many random people; I'm not going to play with most of them, but I can't stand to delete them^^

muttjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By muttjones
@SpawnMan said:
" I keep a log of all my friends on my computer JUST so I can see who deleted me and then call them up and ask why and try to get them back"
Woah, stalker much?
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

It can burn a lil but I get over it pretty quickly.

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Cramsy

This reminds me of the "I called him to hang out and he kept hanging up so I kept calling him " thread but some Tobias guy I think?  

Online friends are weird. They either last for a while  or vanish instantly after you switch off the console. 

EDIT FOR JUSTICE. 

@Ineedaname said: 

@Cramsy said: 

@Ineedaname said: 

@Cramsy said: 

" This reminds me of the "I called him to hang out and he kept hanging up so I kept calling him " thread but some Tobias guy I think?   Online friends are weird. They either last for a while  or vanish instantly after you switch off the console. "
Oh God that thread, man that kid had issues. "
Pleaseholygod somebody find it again  "
 http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/apparently-asking-how-things-are-going-is-offensive-now/421817/  Love me forever. I swear I've been sat here for 30mins trying to find that for great humor. For greater effect, read the OP then start at the end. "
ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ShaunassNZ
@muttjones said:
" @SpawnMan said:
" I keep a log of all my friends on my computer JUST so I can see who deleted me and then call them up and ask why and try to get them back"
Woah, stalker much? "
Yeah this is the reason they block you.
Neonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Neonie

I think online friendship is equal to real life friendship but in saying that you should also realize that caring so much about the fact someone deleted or blocked you is kind of creepy and stalkerish, don't try to follow them, clearly they have gotten tired of you and you should just let them go their separate ways.  

The internet is constantly moving, I've had tons of different friends online over the years, a lot of them I don't speak to anymore because we went separate ways, and when they moved on, I found someone new to talk to. 

It's ok to care about your friends, and even ok to care that they blocked you, but don't be to obsessive about it, if someone doesn't want to talk to you so bad they block you, they weren't a friend worth having in the first place. 

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By hero_swe
@Neonie said:
"I think online friendship is equal to real life friendship but in saying that you should also realize that caring so much about the fact someone deleted or blocked you is kind of creepy and stalkerish, don't try to follow them, clearly they have gotten tired of you and you should just let them go their separate ways.   The internet is constantly moving, I've had tons of different friends online over the years, a lot of them I don't speak to anymore because we went separate ways, and when they moved on, I found someone new to talk to.  It's ok to care about your friends, and even ok to care that they blocked you, but don't be to obsessive about it, if someone doesn't want to talk to you so bad they block you, they weren't a friend worth having in the first place.  "

All of this. Find better friends if they delete you after 5 hours
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Ineedaname
@Cramsy said:
" This reminds me of the "I called him to hang out and he kept hanging up so I kept calling him " thread but some Tobias guy I think?   Online friends are weird. They either last for a while  or vanish instantly after you switch off the console. "
Oh God that thread, man that kid had issues.
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Talk to them.

Don't let em sit there and expect something of them.
And especially don't call them afterwards asking why they removed you!

Do you care for their friendship, or for your pride of being in someone's list? Possibly hopeful that he checks your progress and thinks 'Wow, what a swell guy!'?

So silly.

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Cramsy
@Ineedaname said:
" @Cramsy said:
Pleaseholygod somebody find it again 
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ArchScabby

Watch me follow, and then unfollow you.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Kyle

I don't think there's anything wrong with thinking of online friends as real friends, but some people, or maybe most people, don't see it like that. Some people just use their friends list as a utilitarian resource for playing multiplayer games. 

Oh, and asking people why they removed you from their list? It's not classy. It comes off weird and needy. Try not to let it bother you so much, I guarantee you people aren't unfriending you maliciously. Unless they're unfriending you because you come off weird and needy. In this case, break the vicious cycle! 

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By McGhee

I've done this on XBL a few times. I almost always refuse friend requests because I just don't care about having an online friend. I like talking to random people like the fine folks here at GB. Sometimes I have had good conversations with people and accepted their friend request. Then I start noticing how fucking annoying it is to constantly get notifications when they show up online. So I delete them. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cramsy said:
Haw! That dude was a class A loser
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ineedaname
@Cramsy said:

" @Ineedaname said:

" @Cramsy said:

Pleaseholygod somebody find it again  "
 http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/apparently-asking-how-things-are-going-is-offensive-now/421817/

Love me forever. I swear I've been sat here for 30mins trying to find that for great humor.
For greater effect, read the OP then start at the end.
SpawnMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SpawnMan
@Ineedaname: Lol, but still that guy shouldn't have hung up. People need to be blunt "No, I don't want to talk to you because we only met for 3 days and I don't think our personalities match. But thanks for the call and sorry this wasn't what you expected. Bye." That definitely would've saved a long and very funny thread. 

And the same applies for my experience "Hey I'm pissed by X-experience, and I wanted to know if it was intentional or not? If yes, I'm going to remove you because I don't like that sort of thing. Bye." People are just lazy. They don't want to get emotionally involved with people in this me-me-me society. If you have a problem with me, tell me. Don't block me because then I can never solve it for you, even if you still want to delete me. Obviously one of my "jokes" pissed him off, even though he said he was a shit-talker, he couldn't hack it, and decided to block me rather than sort things out. I really feel it's his problem not mine, and that he's the one dealing weirdly with it, but yeah I shouldn't let it bother me, which it does.
jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jasta

I've made a bunch of friends from playing CS, there was a group of about 20 of us who would sit in a vent chat taking the piss out of eachother while playing, been friends with them for years now.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zeforgotten

Depends on who it is, if it was a real friend then I might ask him/her "hey, what's up?" and they would answer and then that would be that. 
If it's some random jobber then I couldn't care less. 

Not saying that it would actually "hurt" me our my heart would break or anything if a real friend removed me from a friends list.  
Especially if I hadn't talked to them in years, heck I might even be the one deleting the person.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By MysteriousBob

This has nothing to do with this blog, I just wanted you to know that your title made me watch this again which in turn made me very happy. Thank you.
Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@SpawnMan: I delete people all the time. Some people haven't been on in months; Others I no longer play with. There are some people who are staples in my friend's list, but I definitely don't have a problem culling the filler. 

Yesterday somebody added me after playing vanilla SF. He wanted to play a set, so I obliged and, afterwards, I deleted and blocked him. Incessant messages with subject lines only and broken English cannot be abided. Nor can awful play, but that's by the by.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pinworm45

It sounds like you're kinda nuts.

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hexx462
@Pinworm45 said:
" It sounds like you're kinda nuts. "
Judging by how bothered you seem by it, I'd say this is a fair assessment.
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By animateria

Online friends aren't your friends just because they added you to their list. 

Hell, I don't even know exactly who or why I have some people on my PSN account after a while.

And I don't mind if they delete me from the list since we obviously aren't playing the same games anymore. 

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mnzy

As somebody who would delete his own mother if he's in the mood for cleaning up his list, let me tell you that I often just do it because I want it polished, I mostly only add people for the actual game I'm playing and except really good friends, I don't keep them afterwards.
No hard feelings, ok?