Drink, Dice, And a good time.

Gogo1317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gogo1317

Your head explodes from the Giants pelvic thrust, You are dead...Well time to roll another character.
 Your head explodes from the Giants pelvic thrust, You are dead...Well time to roll another character.
It's a pastime that has been around for many many years, Pen and paper gaming is still popular in the community of gaming but
most "Gamers" only play the Video games as a standerd and forget the grand pappy of all gaming experiances started
with a few friends a table and a bag of dice.
I myself have been gaming Pen and paper along with Video games, My whole life.
The topic i choose is Pen and paper gaming and those who support it.
i've seen people who have never heard of Dungeons and Dragons come over to play with a few friends of mine, And by the time the night was over they came over every gaming day since. Hell more often than not we game 2-3 days a week because we get so into the game.
I play D&D,Pathfinder (Pretty much D&D with a way better ruleset.),Shadowrun,Anima,Alpha and Omega,And I dabble in Warhammer.
So i'm looking for anyone who likes to sit down with some friends and a few two liters of soda or whatever drink you choose and pull some all nighters with some books and dice. 
I've also been working on an unofficial Ruleset for a Mass effect Pen and paper game, I'm making a normal set and a midevil set with all of the mass effect races and whatnot, Doing a whole bunch'ca artwork for it too.
Dosn't need to be a topic of the post but i think its cool so I felt like posting it.
Anyway without dragging it on forever and a half feel free to join in the convo, i assume most people will look over this and leave but I hope someone will think it's interesting.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

Pen and paper gaming doesn't sound as fun as playing a video game.

Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Bolt

I used to play a lot, Still got my dice. Havn't really played since High school ended some 7 years ago. Witch really sucks :( I just don't know anyone in my area that can actually be a good DM these days

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By villainy

Pen and paper games can be great fun but like Bolt said, good DMs are hard to find. In my experience a good game can be killed by an uninvolved DM, and a so-so game can be saved by an imaginative DM really looking for a good time. I hope your Mass Effect game turns out well. Be sure to post the rule-set somewhere for others to enjoy!

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pinworm45

I once played D&D with my uncle and cousin. After a fight in which I, a humble druid, got particularly wounded, I asked that we camp. My cousin, not one to dabble about wasting time, declined the ten seconds required to camp for the night.  uncle was attempting to get things moving and telling me to just go with him, but I in my annoyed state I refused and camped by myself. 

My uncle rolled his dice and rolled a one, and he made my pet Wolfy (A wolf) eat me to death. 

I did not play D&D again. 

Cool story, no?

velucyraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By velucyraptor

I fucking love pen &paper &would gladly play it into the ground if only I'd some willing peers (: I've a Vampire: The Masquerade pen &paper guide gathering serious dust on my bookshelf

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Azteck

Dungeons and Dragons scare me.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rattle618

I still have my dice, but I havent played for a very long time.

Gogo1317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gogo1317

Pen and papre games are much more depthy than any video game in existance, There is no argument against that.
But as I stated before its more something you have to try to see if you like it,
And its not really everyones forte.

For example since i am the DM for all of our games, I allow players to do pretty much anything even if there isn't a rolling table for something.
i'll make one that suits the situation.
we've been playing for years and had fun every day we game. 
Not only playing books that we buy but we also make up rulesets and game with them. A few years back me and a few friends made a Final Fantasy pen and paper game that was based on FFIX, We had an AP system set up and everything it worked out pretty well.
That and we play time fellons. Thats a strange game but beyond fun.
Thats the only game I know where you can have Big boss, Abe lincoln, And Optimus prime duke it out.

___pocalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ___pocalypse

I just recently started playing D&D and I like it a lot. Our games are pretty heavy on the role playing, so it's a lot like RPing in a video game. We got to town, ask people questions, buy things, get some clues etc etc. It helps that our Dungeon Master likes a lot of the same video games that I do, and is an experienced D&Der because she takes elements from both past times and makes fights and puzzles that are familiar but still fun to beat. I bought my first set of dice a few months ago, it was a good feeling :)

Gogo1317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gogo1317
@___pocalypse: Glad to hear it, I've been Playing pen and paper games over the past 13 or so years, and i've been DMing for going on six.
The only downside i can see to pen and paper gaming is for the DM the books can be costly.

Our group for D&D has people that are into all sorts of games and we play some simmilar games as well. Monster hunter being one of the ones we played
religiously.
And it's good for a DM to set up combat thats stimulating as well as puzzles to help counterbalance the game, So good on your friend.
It's still encouraging to see people enjoying P&P games, Also if your friend is using D&D have her check out Pathfinder its an awesome ruleset based on traditional D&D rules with improvements in the stats and skill distribution section, Along with some wicked cool artwork.

Stop right there stranger! Pay the road tax, That'll be one left shoe. And don't forget the sock.
 Stop right there stranger! Pay the road tax, That'll be one left shoe. And don't forget the sock.
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By melcene

Back when I was younger, I grew up in basically a ghetto neighborhood.  I'd never even heard of D&D.  Then for high school I was in a more normal suburban type neighborhood.  I had heard of D&D but it was a game for the really weird nerds and geeks.  So I never really got into RPGs of any sort during my younger years.  Then my first time at college, I got into a MUD - the precursor to MMOs.  Basically D&D type stuff, but on the computer, all text.   Then later I did get into MMOs.  I couldn't go back to that crappy ol' technology of a MUD.  Some adult friends had tried to get me into D&D by this point, but... it was only 3 of us.  What's the fun in pen and paper D&D with 3 people when I could go play Everquest with its awesome graphics (at that time). 

I do certainly enjoy reading some P&P RPG books, whether they are rulesets or lore books.  My husband still has a whole bunch of books from the game Rifts, and a couple old D&D books.  I've looked at the Dragonlance P&P books in the past.  They're interesting for reading.  But there's something about MMOs that pulls me too hard for a P&P game to get past.

Gogo1317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gogo1317
@melcene: I've met people with your same problem, It's the allure of graphical entertainment.
Video games are fun don't get me wrong on that, i still play a lot of those, But a pen and paper game offers a different style experiance that is never the same twice,
One time when i was about 14 my brother and his friends were playing a Star wars P&P game I joined in, i was an ewok Brawler ( A basic melee class.)
One of my brothers friends was a wookie Brawler and we were chilling at a pub waiting for a bounty head to walk in.
One thing led to another and my Wookie buddy started raging all over the bartenders face, That stuff tends to happen when you deny a Wookie his drink i guess.
And during the proceeding bar fight My friend had the bartender in a headlock with one arm for the whole fight, Whilst he proceeded to beat the tar out of thugs with his
Titanium pole. i was hiding under tables and slitting peoples heels.  That was an interesting encounter.

When my group and I play they get into bar fights but it never turned out this way ever again, My point being this. i understand the love of graphics and visual stumulation but a pen and paper game can be a great rewarding experiance to get. Not only will you come up with some of the most obsurd tactics ever devised and have them work, (something you can't do in Video games) But you also get to spend some good time with Friends or even Family without a consol or PC being in the middle. But as i've stated before, It's not everyones cup of tea.

oh yah I forgot, The bartender he had in a headlock. He can't walk anymore.
hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hexx462

Every Friday is Pen and Paper RPG night for me and a group of close friends. We run two different games, one where I DM and then I switch off with the other DM every week. We're such giant nerds that we don't even play D&D; I'm running a Legend of the Five Rings (fedual Japanese fantasy setting) campaign and the other DM runs 7th Sea (a pirate/17th century European setting). We both tend put a lot of work into our campaigns and put a huge emphasis on creating a good story and giving every character an arc. 

I've gone out of my way to secretly pit characters against eachother, staged massive city sieges  and have made villains that the players are absolutely driven to defeat.  It's immensly rewarding and a great way apply ideas that you might think would be great in a movie or a video game. As much as I love video games they are more or less how I spend my (nerdy) free time between RPing, I'll take hanging out with friends in meatspace over sitting at a PC or my Xbox any day.

Scalptre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Scalptre

Duder, a pen and paper mass effect game actually sounds like a lot of fun! If u posted it online or something i could probably convince some of my friends to play it since they are much more into video games then Pen & Paper

Gogo1317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gogo1317
@hexx462: Right on, Same here. We play D&D some of the time but other times we play Time fellons, And in a few weeks we're starting up a Shadowrun or Alpha and Omega game.
Actually, What one do you think sounds better for the time being Shadowrun or Alpha and Omega?
Gogo1317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gogo1317
@Scalptre: Actually I planned on posting it online when i'm done with the playtesting and finishing up the artwork.
Whats good about it is that the rules are easy to understand even if you have no P&P game experiance so its easy to jump into, And i have enough skills and feats so it should keep it interesting enough to long time P&P players as well. It's actually really hard balancing a game like this, Takes more time than i thought haha.
But i have every rave used in Mass effect as a player race even Hanar and Elcor. 
My personal two favorites are Elcor and Krogan.
i even added melee classes and blast armor so you can take some bullets and keep on truck'n, So being a melee fighter is still viable if you so choose.
plus the Biotic and Tech powers are still there, and some other ones that i made from scratch like Implosion, and Addrinalin sap.
All in all its turning into a robust ruleset and i'm hoping it goes over well with everyone who wants to try it.
FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

I really like playing DnD myself and recently got Gamma World for xmas. It's fun to sit down with a group of friends, have a few beers, and just invent you own world without having to all buy the same video game or all be online at the same time.  Sure it isn't as fast paced as video games and I do have a few friends who despise it because they lack any imagination, but I think if anyone says they like gaming (especially RPGs or WoW) then they have a great understanding already of most pen and paper games.  

Every gamer should at least try the old school out.

cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By cjmabry

I used to play the Lord of the Rings miniatures game. Tee hee hee. Making scenery and painting those tiny things was the best part though, I have to admit. 

On another note, the dice poker game in The Witcher is freaking awesome.

Ihmishylje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ihmishylje

I've been dungeon mastering a game recently and the dudes and dudettes have been playing my campaign for like... I guess five months now. So I guess I must be doing something right. Makes me feel pretty good about my otherwise insignificant life.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#21  Edited By TobyD81

I GM an Urban Arcana game (think D&D in a modern setting.) Lately my group has been ramping up the play schedule and we might take on one or two new members soon. I've played D&D-style games for years and I love it. It's a nice way to gather socially, and a human-guided game still has a lot to offer that video games and even MMOs can't match.

Peep1317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Peep1317

The Vampire Hunter D one that you made was pretty fun. I honestly wouldn't mind picking it back up.
But maybe less poo and vampire crushing this time, haha.

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hexx462
@Gogo1317 said:
" Actually, What one do you think sounds better for the time being Shadowrun or Alpha and Omega? "
Since I have no idea what Alpha and Omega is, I'll say Shadowrun (I like that setting a lot though). Since our 7th Sea game is coming to a close in a few months it sounds like we're going to do a Shadowrun game afterward, which I'm psyched for. It'll be a nice change of pace.
Gogo1317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gogo1317
@hexx462: Alpha and Omega is kinda like Mad max meets fallout with gene splicing.
I know sounds kinda odd but looks neat, But that sounds cool. I guess we'll start up a Shadowrun game sometime.
I think i'll make a Troll...
Gogo1317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Gogo1317

Sorry i've been gone for a month or so, I've not had a computer until just tonight and figured i'd drop a line in and see if anyone is still kick'n in the forum.