#1 Posted by Silver-Streak (1339 posts) -

Didn't see this posted anywhere, so here we go: https://www.origin.com/us/news/origin-great-game-guarantee

You can now return digital games bought on Origin (EA Only). Within 24 hours of first launch, within 7 days of first purchase.

It sounds like there's not even any human interaction to it. It's basically like on the Google Play store for android, don't like it, hit refund, get money back.

Color me massively surprised.

#2 Edited by bigjeffrey (4805 posts) -

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36062 posts) -

@bigjeffrey:

As long as we're posting GIFs that are vaguely relevant to the topic, I predict this to be the Internet's general reaction:

To everything.

#4 Edited by Silver-Streak (1339 posts) -

@video_game_king: I'd say that's accurate. Or people start demanding Steam match the policy. Which steam will go "Sure. We aren't releasing any new games for a few years, but when we do, you can do the same thing"

#5 Posted by zoozilla (978 posts) -

It's an interesting move on EA's part, and gives the impression that they really want to compete with Steam.

I'm looking forward to seeing people's experiences with returning Origin games in the future. Obviously, they must prevent you from finishing a single-player game in 6 hours or whatever and then getting all your money back.

#6 Posted by Pr1mus (3821 posts) -

This is great news.

And should become standard everywhere.

#8 Posted by Twisted (165 posts) -

The idea of digital refunds seems very strange to me. The system will be exploited relentlessly for single-player games. I also assume the refund would be a full refund back to your card, as in, not just store credit or something.

I think this is good news but I wonder if this will really be beneficial for EA in the long run.

#9 Posted by themangalist (1722 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

This is great news.

And should become standard everywhere.

We should still wait on at least a few weeks and see if the system is getting its shit exploited out of that EA needs to pull out. Let's consider this a social experiment at the moment.

#10 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

This makes no sense. So how many people will now buy a game. Finish it in 24 hours and then return it? There must be something that prevents people from doing it.

#11 Posted by Hailinel (23932 posts) -

@darji said:

This makes no sense. So how many people will now buy a game. Finish it in 24 hours and then return it? There must be something that prevents people from doing it.

That's assuming that you can finish it in twenty-four hours. And it's only for EA-published titles.

#12 Edited by chiablo (907 posts) -

If only this existed on March 5th, 2013.

#13 Posted by Aviar (414 posts) -

@chiablo said:

If only this existed on March 5th, 2013.

AGREED!!!

I read about this in my morning rss news feeds. The first thing I thought is what everyone else is saying, how will this NOT be exploited and what are they going to do to stop it. I think this is a great idea, but there has to be some "rules" we just aren't aware of yet as I am sure EA is going to do MORE then cover their a$$e$.

#14 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

That's assuming that you can finish it in twenty-four hours. And it's only for EA-published titles.

I ca finish every EA game in 24 hours maybe not dagon age 3 but we will see about that.

#15 Edited by falserelic (5333 posts) -
#16 Posted by Hailinel (23932 posts) -

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

I ca finish every EA game in 24 hours maybe not dagon age 3 but we will see about that.

Do you actually have the time to devote twenty-four hours straight to any video game?

#17 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

Do you actually have the time to devote twenty-four hours straight to any video game?

weekend one sitting done. Today's SP games are not really that long to begin with^^

#18 Posted by crusader8463 (14414 posts) -

It's EA we are dealing with here, so there must be some kind of small print that will keep them from ever needing to do this. Like it takes them 48 hours to respond to any request for a refund thus making the 24 hour period pointless. This is just far too consumer friendly to be a thing from EA.

#19 Posted by Nictel (2380 posts) -

Probably a limit to the number of times you can do did in a period of time. Far too many games you can finish in under 24 hours.

#20 Posted by DonMFJohnson (146 posts) -

This seems way too good and open to exploitation. I bet they flag you account after a few returns and you can't do it anymore.

#21 Edited by jakob187 (21645 posts) -

Love how people comment on that origin link about origin being better than steam haha.Those people are really drunk if not fully r*ated

The only thing that Steam has over Origin at this point is a much larger library and the community features. Beyond that, I've had faster download speeds through Origin, less memory overhead from Origin running (Steam is a memory hog), and not a single crash issue with a game on it.