Elemental War of magic(my impressions)

TheMainCritic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By TheMainCritic

I  have recently been introduced to a game called "elemental war of magic" when I first heard this title I thought it was a mouthful and just another cheesy fantasy game. After reading some of the previews and features I have come to discover that I was wrong. This game is almost like a sandbox RTS with some RPG elements in it. The options are nearly limitless. The player is able to create a nation that can either use force to conquer the land, they could use diplomatic means, they could complete quests, or even let other nations battle it out than rush in when they are both weak and takeover. On top of this is the way the terrain morphs as a person casts spells. In fact the only way to even begin to create a society is to make the land fertile.

This brings me to my next point, how do you battle. Do you cast powerful spells and morph the terrain to your advantage, do you have the opponents do most of the work for you then take them out once both sides are weak, do you amass an army and steamroll through the enemy, or do you create one all powerful unit that nothing can destroy. All these options are available to the gamer through this unique upgrade system.

The upgrade system is what really got me. In almost every RTS game there are set units. Tanks/infantry/aircraft bla bla bla, but in Elemental War of Magic all you get is a peasant. From this you can buy items and give it to him. Want a archer, give him some boots and a bow. On top of this there are perks you can give them, if you want that soldier to have more HP give him a honey bag. The coolest part about this system is that resources are not a big problem...to an extent. Don't have enough leather to make light armor for an archer, who cares you can still buy the bow and give it to him. this means that the archer still is made, just with less armor. This is wonderful compared to the old RTS style, not enough leather=no archer.

In the end I cannot wait for this game to come out because not only is there a great single player game, it comes with its own modding system for an unlimited about of uses. who knows this modding system could create an entirely new genre of games. like what WC3 did with the AoS(for those of you who do not know what this means...its DotA).

TheMainCritic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TheMainCritic

I  have recently been introduced to a game called "elemental war of magic" when I first heard this title I thought it was a mouthful and just another cheesy fantasy game. After reading some of the previews and features I have come to discover that I was wrong. This game is almost like a sandbox RTS with some RPG elements in it. The options are nearly limitless. The player is able to create a nation that can either use force to conquer the land, they could use diplomatic means, they could complete quests, or even let other nations battle it out than rush in when they are both weak and takeover. On top of this is the way the terrain morphs as a person casts spells. In fact the only way to even begin to create a society is to make the land fertile.

This brings me to my next point, how do you battle. Do you cast powerful spells and morph the terrain to your advantage, do you have the opponents do most of the work for you then take them out once both sides are weak, do you amass an army and steamroll through the enemy, or do you create one all powerful unit that nothing can destroy. All these options are available to the gamer through this unique upgrade system.

The upgrade system is what really got me. In almost every RTS game there are set units. Tanks/infantry/aircraft bla bla bla, but in Elemental War of Magic all you get is a peasant. From this you can buy items and give it to him. Want a archer, give him some boots and a bow. On top of this there are perks you can give them, if you want that soldier to have more HP give him a honey bag. The coolest part about this system is that resources are not a big problem...to an extent. Don't have enough leather to make light armor for an archer, who cares you can still buy the bow and give it to him. this means that the archer still is made, just with less armor. This is wonderful compared to the old RTS style, not enough leather=no archer.

In the end I cannot wait for this game to come out because not only is there a great single player game, it comes with its own modding system for an unlimited about of uses. who knows this modding system could create an entirely new genre of games. like what WC3 did with the AoS(for those of you who do not know what this means...its DotA).

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By Astras

thanks for this, i love stardock, gal civ 2 is immense...i'll def check this 1 out

for some reason i never thought to think what they have been upto