Enslaved; Kind of bad when it comes to female characters

diabloshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By diabloshadow

I was looking through past reviews to find a games I should throw on my backlog pile now that I got through Portal 2 and a large enough chunk of MK, and after reading Brad's review I decided to grab a copy of Enslaved from someone. 
Now I don't know how far I am in the game  SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.

but I've having this thought up to this point that this game is has a pretty negative view of women overall. 

Now don't get me wrong, the game is gorgeous and the fighting mechanic is interesting enough, also its interesting to see a post-apocalyptic game that's so green. But with regards to the story, this game is about  SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.

Am I thinking about this too hard? What do you think?

EDIT: Mean to put a question mark at the end of the title, wanted it to seem more of a question than a statement. Oh well.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RsistncE

I'll say it before someone else does: use spoiler tags next time. Didn't bother me personally but I know of a few that would get pissed off over it.

Besetment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Besetment

I don't think being female means you represent the female race.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Turambar

Doesn't really bother me one bit.  Here's the thing: from what I can tell, she is not depicted as some sort of scheming gold digger of a woman.  Her methods may be rather underhanded, but stuff like that always speaks more to me about the character than the character's gender.

KittenMitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KittenMitten
@Besetment said:
" I don't think being female means you represent the female race. "
Agreed. And I think the fact that Trip is not a generic "video game chick", but a well rounded character also detracts from the argument.
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#6  Edited By the8bitNacho

Why is it that every time a character is represented a certain way, people flip out and assume that the developers and writers are attempting to place the entire race/gener/whatever in the same light? 

diabloshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By diabloshadow
@RsistncE: Sorry about that, thought the statute of limitations on this game was ok cause it came out awhile ago.  I'm not pissed off, just its weird the way its projecting this story. It bothers me, yet doesn't bother me at the same time, part of me think its the weird look towards females, part me of thinks that it shows her agency. I don't know I'm just trying to create a discussion.
ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By ventilaator

I beat up some street punks in Yakuza 3 the other day.

Goddamn men with their violent ways.

Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Juno500

So what, can games not portray any negative aspects of a female character without being misogynist?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RE_Player1

I think your perception or Trip is telling you more about yourself than the actual game. Here I'll address some of your issues:
1. Why does Trip enslave Monkey? Well she is weak. That isn't a message saying that all women are weak or all women kill men if they don't do what they say it's just as simple as she's weak. Her strength is that she is tech savvy. She comes fom a community, both male and female, that are tech savvy, that's why they got steam rolled by the 'slavers' when she went back home.
2. Why does Pigsy act macho and why does Trip need another male? Pigsy is the lovable loser and really flawed character. He's been isolated for so long he is desperate for human contact so he aims to win over Trip, one of the few people he is familiar with. Nothing to do with Trip needing another male, Pigsy was simply her only connection outside of her community.
3. Why doesn't Trip let Monkey go? Well I don't want to spoil the game but it becomes clear that Monkey doesn't want Trip to let him go...

diabloshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By diabloshadow
@RE_Player92: You raise some great points. I guess I was just looking at it the same way, but drawing the wrong conclusions or different anyways, but I completely see what your talking about.

And @Juno500:  i wasn't trying to say that, just noting something I saw in a video game and was pointing it out to see what others thought about it.
Vexed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Vexed

Maybe if Trip had been a royal bitch, but she was desperate and charming so I think most people would feel too empathetic towards her to perceive it that way.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By ch13696

I highly suggest you beat the game.

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SuperWristBands

Pretty sure the cutscene you skipped has Trip let Pigsy down after he accidentally admits to his attraction to her when he thinks he is talking to Monkey in private but Trip can hear the conversation through the helmet. It was actually quite an amusing scene. At least to see Trip's uncomfortable and awkward look toward Pigsy as she is hearing what he is saying. Also, Pigsy acts like a pig (a pervy dude), it makes sense that Trip would not really want that kind of relationship with him. Oh, and he also continues to help her after that.

As for Trip going back on her word after her father dieing by the actions of the slavers and going back on her promise: that is called the human condition, we don't always do the most noble of things, especially when the actions are powered by the death of a loved one. I saw nothing wrong with it, and to top it off Monkey is in agreement to attack the slavers and at this point he and Trip have built a mutual trusting relationship with each other.

I hope that made sense...

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HandsomeDead

Is it just me or do those spoiler tags not work?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By Hailinel
@Besetment said:
Females aren't a race.  They are a gender.
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jay444111
@RE_Player92 said:
" I think your perception or Trip is telling you more about yourself than the actual game. Here I'll address some of your issues: 1. Why does Trip enslave Monkey? Well she is weak. That isn't a message saying that all women are weak or all women kill men if they don't do what they say it's just as simple as she's weak. Her strength is that she is tech savvy. She comes fom a community, both male and female, that are tech savvy, that's why they got steam rolled by the 'slavers' when she went back home. 2. Why does Pigsy act macho and why does Trip need another male? Pigsy is the lovable loser and really flawed character. He's been isolated for so long he is desperate for human contact so he aims to win over Trip, one of the few people he is familiar with. Nothing to do with Trip needing another male, Pigsy was simply her only connection outside of her community. 3. Why doesn't Trip let Monkey go? Well I don't want to spoil the game but it becomes clear that Monkey doesn't want Trip to let him go... "
This exactly. I played and beat the game, and I gotta say, quite an amazing game, goes to show that video games have gotten very, VERY powerful as a storytelling medium.

Also, is it just me, or are female characters really freaking hard to write for? Anyone here who writes agree with me?
Avatar image for killroycantkill
killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By killroycantkill

I found Enslaved to be a pretty bad game overall.

Besetment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Besetment
@Hailinel said:
" @Besetment said:
Females aren't a race.  They are a gender. "
Hm. . .no. No, I like the way I said it better.
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By mutha3

Silly.

Enslaved is shitty, but not because they dared make a flawed female character.

@Hailinel said:

" @Besetment said:
Females aren't a race.  They are a gender. "

eh.

his point still stands.