Ever gone back to a old game and been surprized...

supaman900s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By supaman900s

Ever gone back to a old online focused console game and been surprized to see people still playing it?  

Last night I just got a nostalgic feeling while playing Black Ops of the time when shooters where a bit more tactical, the first one that came to mind was Rainbow Six Vegas 2. So I popped my PS3 version of the game in, which came out three years ago this month, and I was shocked to still easily get into an online match, and even more so, actually find people still playing it! 

The controlles do not hold up as well as I remember them being because the game felt a bit clunky to say the least, but the hide behind cover and pop out feature was fun to revisit.  

Anyone have any stories of going back to games and being surprized to find people stillplaying them? PC games dont really apply here, as there online communites seem to last forever!
supaman900s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By supaman900s

Ever gone back to a old online focused console game and been surprized to see people still playing it?  

Last night I just got a nostalgic feeling while playing Black Ops of the time when shooters where a bit more tactical, the first one that came to mind was Rainbow Six Vegas 2. So I popped my PS3 version of the game in, which came out three years ago this month, and I was shocked to still easily get into an online match, and even more so, actually find people still playing it! 

The controlles do not hold up as well as I remember them being because the game felt a bit clunky to say the least, but the hide behind cover and pop out feature was fun to revisit.  

Anyone have any stories of going back to games and being surprized to find people stillplaying them? PC games dont really apply here, as there online communites seem to last forever!
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Rainbow Six Vegas seems like the kind of game that would have a dedicated fanbase

I don't think I've ever had that kind of experience before. The most surprising was the time when I found someone playing Garou: Mark of the Wolves on XBLA, but that's because I had tried about 20 times to get into a match.

ckeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ckeats

I went back to Marvel Nemesis on PS2 a while back and found 2 people online, together in a match.  
Personally I find myself going back to old games i was amazing at when I was younger and finding I suck miserably at them now. I could beat any f the PS1 Crash Bandicoot games with my eyes closed. Now, not so much.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Time Crisis 2.

supaman900s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By supaman900s

Yeah, that is true. Whats funny is most games I got into the people who did have headsets were all speaking different languages aside from one or two matches. Considering Call of Duty seems to be hugely popular in the US, makes sense.
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By TheHBK

Well, never really surprised.  Not at people still playing a game online.  But I have gone back and the thing that surprises me is how poorly it might control or more often than not, how bad it looks.  The biggest surprise was GTA VI, I remember being all about how good the game looked, now I see it and it just seems like a fuzzy mess.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i go back to the Soldier of Fortune 2 multiplayer demo once a year and always find those few servers of that one free demo map populated 
it feels good 

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Vegas 2? That ain't olde school enough. Go play Vegas 1! 

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By NoCookiesForYou

Freelancer. That game is what 8 years old and some people are still running multiplayer servers for it.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By l4wd0g

Does Team Fortress 2 count?

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By willin

There are still people playing Perfect dark Zero. -_-

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SSValis
@TheHBK: GTA 6? when did that come out?
Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mighty

Halo 3

supaman900s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By supaman900s
@l4wd0g:

Lol thats actually a good one. The first game still had people playing it for ages.
Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BulletproofMonk

I played some Red Faction: Guerrilla today, and found a game easily. I was kind of surprised.

mordi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mordi

I went back to Halo 2 while the old Xbox Live was still up, not too long before it closed. There were a bunch of people playing!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#17  Edited By Hailinel
@Lights_Up_The_Shaft said:
" There are still people playing Perfect dark Zero. -_- "
The only reason people aren't playing Halo 2 online now is because Microsoft killed online support for it.
mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mnzy

People still play Quakeworld. That's basically Quake I. I've seen it last year. So yeah...

supaman900s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By supaman900s
@BulletproofMonk said:
" I played some Red Faction: Guerrilla today, and found a game easily. I was kind of surprised. "
Must have been on Xbox 360 or even PC, as the PS3 servers for that game are barren...
Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle
@Hailinel said:
" @Lights_Up_The_Shaft said:
The only reason people aren't playing Halo 2 online now is because Microsoft killed online support for it. "
But Halo 2 was at least enjoyable. Are you really going to argue that Perfect Dark Zero and Halo 2 are of the same quality? I think the astonishment about Perfect Dark Zero comes from it being so fucking awful. 
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By nintendoeats

This thread amazes me. How the hell are people still playing soldier of fortune 2?

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By guiseppe

I was quite surprised just a few minutes ago when I noticed that I could actually get in to a match online in Dark Sector. Then again it was only one guy, but still.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played some Call of Duty 2 not long ago. People still play it, and it's still probably my favorite CoD. 

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By carlthenimrod

I'm shocked each and everyday that Star Wars Galaxies somehow still exists.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#25  Edited By Hailinel
@A_Cute_Squirtle said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @Lights_Up_The_Shaft said:
The only reason people aren't playing Halo 2 online now is because Microsoft killed online support for it. "
But Halo 2 was at least enjoyable. Are you really going to argue that Perfect Dark Zero and Halo 2 are of the same quality? I think the astonishment about Perfect Dark Zero comes from it being so fucking awful.  "
I'm not saying that they're of equal quality.  Only that Halo 2 is an older game, and that people would still be playing it today if support for it hadn't been cut.
Magris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Magris

I'm surprised people are still using gamespy and IP addresses to play Age of Empires II.

Gotta love those custom maps. Harry Potter ftw.
Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BulletproofMonk
@supaman900s said:
" @BulletproofMonk said:
" I played some Red Faction: Guerrilla today, and found a game easily. I was kind of surprised. "
Must have been on Xbox 360 or even PC, as the PS3 servers for that game are barren... "
It was on PS3, actually.
NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By NickLott

This thread is making me want to reinstall a copy of the original Rainbow Six and 1) See if people are still playing and 2) See if I can play for 10 minutes without being kicked for fucking up.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Skald

MUD1 still exists. I find that pretty crazy.

Penelope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Penelope

The original Diablo.

There are always a few people putzing around in there.
Silock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By Silock
Theres millions of millions of people who play these games, don't be surprised to decide to play one and realise that there IS someone playing it : ) 
02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By 02sfraser

Pretty sure the Call of Duty 3 servers are still up and some of the Call on Duty 1 servers are also still running. It just depends on what the traffic is and whether it's still worth keeping the servers up.

StingerMK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By StingerMK2

been on a bit of a fighting game resurgence and popped in soul calibur 4, wasn't so surprised to find people still playing that (then proceeded to get my arse thoroughly whipped) but then i tried Dead or Alive 4, and there were still people playing that, i believe it came out a week after the xbox 360's launch, so its done alright for itself

danpat177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By danpat177

medal of honer :L a few 1000s any time of the day on ps3

supaman900s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By supaman900s
@BulletproofMonk said:
" @supaman900s said:
" @BulletproofMonk said:
Must have been on Xbox 360 or even PC, as the PS3 servers for that game are barren... "
It was on PS3, actually. "
That kind of surprises me as that multiplayer community was pretty dry weeks after launch. I will have to go back and revisit it soon.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" i go back to the Soldier of Fortune 2 multiplayer demo once a year and always find those few servers of that one free demo map populated it feels good  "
I love that game.  Modern Warfare totally stole its MP weapon unlock and mix of projectile/melee combat systems.

@Verb4tim said:
" Freelancer. That game is what 8 years old and some people are still running multiplayer servers for it. "
Yes! I rebought the game last year as a result.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Example1013

I'd bet money that Star Wars: Battlefront still has servers up somewhere. I KNOW SBFII is still running.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By amomjc

I purchased GRAW1 to play the CoOp with a friend and was extremely surprised to find that it was extremely easy to find a game. Now, the old lobby system of "ready up" pissed me off, but still great to go back and play that great game.

jtmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jtmosh

When I got Singularity last year after it had been out for a while one of the first things I did was hop on XBL and see if anyone was still playing it. Much to my surprise I actually got into a game fairly quickly. It seems that was a rare occurrence, though, because all the times I've tried since haven't gone as well. Which is a shame, because that game is actually quite fun online.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jayjonesjunior

I'm surprised to see people buying games like MW2 and Black Ops when they could be playing CoD4, i played Rainbow Six Raven Shield for 7 years.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By VisariLoyalist

Yes! I went back to katamari dimacy recently and discovered i love it just as much as I ever had. Still probably my favorite game ever!

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MrKlorox

Games that came out for this generation of consoles should not count as "old games". Get some years under your belt and stop making yourself look silly.

supaman900s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By supaman900s
@MrKlorox said:
" Games that came out for this generation of consoles should not count as "old games". Get some years under your belt and stop making yourself look silly. "
 No one looks silly for thinking games that came out five years ago are old, especially considering this generation is the first to heavily feature online multiplayer in most releases...
mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mackgyver

Mostly for nostalgic reasons but yeah I do get surprised by how well those games still hold out.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Example1013
@supaman900s said:
" @MrKlorox said:
" Games that came out for this generation of consoles should not count as "old games". Get some years under your belt and stop making yourself look silly. "
 No one looks silly for thinking games that came out five years ago are old, especially considering this generation is the first to heavily feature online multiplayer in most releases... "
Do you know how many PS2 games i have that heavily feature online? Don't bother guessing, since I don't know myself, but suffice to say it's a lot.