Ever Heard Music from Games in Strange Places?

• 75 results
cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I get the feeling a decent amount of people editing TV shows together like video games, i notice it on a decent number of shows but most frequently on Top Gear.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only experience I've ever had like this was at my school. I was hanging out in the lounge with some friends, and then a bunch of other people came in with a cardboard box and started breakdancing, with some pretty standard music on speakers for a while. Then, all of a sudden, it shifts over to the Persona 3 soundtrack where it stayed for the rest of the night.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@svenzon: This was in Orange, NSW, Australia. So either this town is even smaller than I thought or Chinese restaurants arre required by law to get their ambience from Final Fantasy.

Really? I heard it at an Asian restaurant in Kristianstad, Sweden. The plot thickens.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#54  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@nnickers said:

My sister was over recently and while watching tv she switched to the cooking network. She was watching a show titled, I believe, Chopped, and in the background of one scene they were playing the garage music from Saints Row 3.

This is I think license free music. It was on ads for the NBA in the last couple years too... can't remember if it was TNT or what. But yeah it threw me off a lot at first too.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#55  Edited By audioBusting

I was watching a "real crimes" show on national Chinese TV and it had music and sound effects from Deadly Premonition, which felt pretty bizarre. I guess they might be licensed stuff.

I think a couple recent Freakanomics episodes used a track from Cook, Serve, Delicious!, and it fit in really well.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asuras Wrath soundtrack in between classes at high school one day.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@defe said:
@nnickers said:

My sister was over recently and while watching tv she switched to the cooking network. She was watching a show titled, I believe, Chopped, and in the background of one scene they were playing the garage music from Saints Row 3.

I'm pretty sure Drew or Vinny mentioned at some point that the Saints Row 3 garage music was from a royalty-free library, so it makes sense that it would pop up elsewhere.

ESPN used it in NBA playoff packages pretty extensively a few years ago, too. Threw me for a loop every time.

muchobeans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not totally on topic, but I tend to notice video game sound effects way more often than music. the number of times I've heard the same two dog barks or reloading noise for guns is pretty ridiculous. I also remember hearing the hydralisk sound being used a lot on tv in the early thousands for 'exotic birds' and such.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By monetarydread

Not really music from games, but I hear the old 1up Yours theme on TV and it makes me nostalgic every time. Gotta love stock Garageband music.

effache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The main menu music from Deus Ex: HR was used in a trailer for After Earth which I thought was bizarre

Loading Video...
Avatar image for eddie_and_the_fist_monkeys
Eddie_and_the_Fist_Monkeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb: It wasn't the royal Albert hall by any chance in South Kensington? I ask as I know they hosted 'Distant Worlds' (live performances of music from final fantasy) there this year and have done in years past. I wonder if the owner of the restaurant didn't see the show and buy a cd, or perhaps was just struck by some nostalgia and set about spreading the love.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@eddie_and_the_fist_monkeys: It's been such a long time. And I was a kid. But short research makes me believe we probably were at Her Majesty's Theatre. If that is close or not I don't know. I definitely remember looking AT the Royal Albert Hall, even if we didn't enter.

Though your theory of it being a distant worlds CD is pretty likely. I remember the instrumental sounding different from my internal image of the songs, but it's possible I had only heard the original soundtrack at that point.

Freqtal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#63  Edited By Freqtal

Music from Mass Effect in the intro (1:10) and outro (1:56:28) to this Essential Mix by Ten Walls. Kinda strange. That intro-track from ME does strange things to me...

Loading Video...

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 thatpinguino  Moderator

I won a free drink at a dueling piano bar by identifying the Tetris theme from the SNES version of Tetris. Turns out one of the pianists was a big Tetris fan. Also the Minnesota Timberwolves use the Mario coin noise whenever one of their players makes a free throw.

kilroyandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By kilroyandy

The game spot "lobby" music is currently being used on a U.K. EE ad (mobile network) and Kevin Bacon and some footballer dance to it!!

https://youtu.be/ekDk_8bnY6I?t=27

PolyesterKyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My old high school used to use the Mario "hurry up" music in between classes when it was nearing the tardy bell. Everyone thought it was cute at first but 4 years of that shit? Oh boy...

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#69  Edited By ShaggE

The exact opposite, but this thread reminded me of it: GTA4 uses the opening guitar squeal of Type O Negative's "I Don't Wanna Be Me" as a stinger on Liberty Rock Radio, and it always weirds me out.

Incidentally, I also can't help thinking of GTA2's menu music during the opening of Type O Negative's "Who Will Save The Sane?" and vice versa.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chinese refresher class I had to do yearly for the Navy, watching some news stuff straight from Mainland china. Forgot the topic of the story, I was too focused on the fact they kept looping the title track from FFX-2 in the background of the story.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not exactly the same, but I've been making short films to air on public access the past couple years and it always freaks me out when one of the random royalty free songs I've used shows up somewhere. I've seen them in commercials, TV shows, and all over YouTube.

Avatar image for joe_mccallister
Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#72  Edited By Joe_McCallister

Almost positive I heard the Battlefield 3: Operation Metro song on National Geographic during Alaska State Troopers

Loading Video...

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

On a slightly related note, I heard the track they use for the Beastcast intro on a BBC DIY programme.

I'd pay good money to see Vinny, Alex and youth pastor carpenter Jeff Bakalar rooting around in the trash for furniture to restore.

CountDeDeDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I know that probably more people realized this, but Stranger Things once used the song of the last Metal Gear Solid V trailer (Elegia- New Order). It was kind of a sad scene, but I only had all those Metal gear quotes in my head while watching it.

RickRockmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not exactly "music," but I swear one of the convenience stores near the college I went to used the "wormhole" sound effect from 3D Pinball: Space Cadet for one of their cash registers.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Capum15
@polyesterkyle said:

My old high school used to use the Mario "hurry up" music in between classes when it was nearing the tardy bell. Everyone thought it was cute at first but 4 years of that shit? Oh boy...

At least it wasn't the Sonic drowning noise?

I can't really think of something I've heard in an odd place - maybe some instrumental stuff but nothing I can pinpoint. I feel like I've definitely heard the Mario coin somewhere, though (or perhaps the Sonic ring noise, those two seem like I would've heard them sometime in the wild). The closest other thing would be hearing Neil Ross (whom I only knew from the Codex entries in Mass Effect) being a Narrator in some episodes of NOVA. The first one I saw involved Mars, I think, which was perfect. Downside is all I could hear was him talking about Batarians and Turians in my head.

There was also that History show where they used the Rome: Total War engine to replicate battles (and it was awesome). That might have had some music.