Fallout 3 Ultimate or Fallout Vegas Ultimate?

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

Poll Fallout 3 Ultimate or Fallout Vegas Ultimate? (103 votes)

Fallout 3 37%
Fallout New Vegas 62%

Steam sale has them both at the same price. Only have the time to play one. Previously owned 3 on Xbox until it red ringed, and liked what I saw of it, where as watching other people play New Vegas nearly bored me to death. Thing is, there were parts of Skyrim that bored me to death, too, so maybe I didn't get a good look at what New Vegas is really like.

Meanwhile, Steam warns that Fallout 3 ain't exactly Win7 or Win8 optimized, does anyone know what that means for it?

What should I choose? Does one have significantly better story/graphics/gameplay than the other, or fewer bugs?

• 
rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd also like to know if the GTA4 mods like IceEnhancer work on the expansion packs alone or do I also have to buy regular GTA4?

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By flasaltine

Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics for $3 for 15 minutes still

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I preferred Fallout 3, but it was my first game in the series and the first Bethesda game that I really liked. Fallout New Vegas is more popular and beloved by those who were already invested in the Fallout series, and objectively is probably a better game.

Honestly though if you can afford the $10 you should just get both. I know you only have time for one of them, but regardless of which one you play there;'s a really good chance you'll get hooked and want to play the other one once you're finished. You can't really go wrong with either.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 3 on PC has Games of Windows Live in it. It's kind of shitty having to deal with two forms of DRM. New Vegas does not however, so my vote goes to New Vegas.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By benspyda

Get both, they are both great games.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By audiosnow

I loved exploring the ruins of DC much, much more than I liked exploring the desert wastelands.

Then again, I've always dislike the desert.

The music in 3 is also much better.

Anyway, play both.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I think New Vegas is the better game in terms of story and gameplay. However I had more fun with Fallout 3 simply because the games are pretty similar and I played FO 3 first. Not sure about the Windows 7 or 8 optimized thing. Fallout: NV seems to run fine on my Windows 8 machine.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

Fallout 3 works just fine on my Windows 8 computer.

Get both if you can. Fallout 3 has a better world, Fallout New Vegas has a better written and more interesting story.

@joeyoe31 said:

Fallout 3 on PC has Games of Windows Live in it. It's kind of shitty having to deal with two forms of DRM. New Vegas does not however, so my vote goes to New Vegas.

Oddly enough, it doesn't require GFWL to run. You can just start it with FOSE, something that's needed for a lot of mods anyway.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird. Went with the safe bet of NV. Thanks for telling about GFWL. I'll pick up F3 on Xbox or PS3 from the bargain bins of GameStop sometime.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Pretty much what's already been stated.

Fallout 3's world is more fun to explore. There's a mod out there that also gives a lot of the building interiors to explore as well.

New Vegas has a better story. It has better factions. It has better characters. It's also more linear than Fallout 3. I'd get the mod that turns New Vegas into one large area rather than 3-4 small maps. Otherwise, you'll get to New Vegas and be kind of bummed out that it's three buildings and then a load screen.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By themangalist

I loved Fallout 3's world and atmosphere, but New Vegas has its quirks too. I'd say if you played and liked FO1 and 2, then probably go with NV. If you want to jump in because of Bethesda's brand of open world, then 3 is the one to go.

Don't worry about the windows 7 thing. I heard varying things about if it works or not. You just never know.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 3 is not really a fallout game so if you search for a successor go and play New Vegas it is by far the better game with the better dlc as well.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By DystopiaX

I honestly couldn't pick between them... NV improves the gameplay quite a bit but I liked DC better than New Vegas. Personally I'd pick up both.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14  Edited By korolev

Both are great, but I found New Vegas to be much better (once they ironed out the bugs). I like a good wasteland, but Fallout 3 was too wasteland-y and small, with relatively few NPCs. Also, the DLC for Fallout 3 was spotty - two really bad DLCs, one reasonable one and one great one. For Fallout New Vegas, only one of the DLCs was pretty bad (Honest Hearts), but two really, really awesome ones (Old World Blues and Lonesome Road) and a pretty good one (Dead Money). Fallout New Vegas also had more weapons, more customization and more humour - Yes Man is one of the best characters in that game.

But Fallout 3 wasn't bad at all. Just not as good as Fallout New Vegas.

preaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why not both?

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 3 has Games for Windows Live and New Vegas doesn't.

This should be a huge deciding factor

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Fallout 3 works just fine on my Windows 8 computer.

Get both if you can. Fallout 3 has a better world, Fallout New Vegas has a better written and more interesting story.

@joeyoe31 said:

Oddly enough, it doesn't require GFWL to run. You can just start it with FOSE, something that's needed for a lot of mods anyway.

But then you wont get achievements!

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It would be cool if there could be a mod that connected both games together by train or something, mashing everything together.

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The dlc for new vegas was arguably far better than f3's; however f3's main game i thought was better and less buggy than new vegas, also less difficult on normal settings.

in conclusion, get both

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@mcghee said:

It would be cool if there could be a mod that connected both games together by train or something, mashing everything together.

Already exists. It adds in a random manhole you use to transport back and forth. AFAIK it has all the quests and NPC's and stuff too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SABePr3mz08

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By BoOzak

@somedelicook: i'm guessing that mod lets you use iron sights with Fallout 3's weapons? I heard there was a mod that did that prior to New Vegas but I never used it.

Going between the Mojave Desert to the Capital Wasteland it really is night and day. I'm not going to defend Fallout 3's story but the world was a lot more fun to explore. New Vegas really could have done with some kind of vehicle (or even a horse considering it's trying so hard to be a western) with all the flat terrain you end up running across.

Either way they're both good games. I played and enjoyed all the DLC in Fallout 3. I recently bought the New Vegas Ultimate Edition but I have yet to get to the DLC so I cant compare them, but in terms of the main game i'd say go with 3.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By xymox

I actually find myself wanting to listen to what the NPCs want to say in Vegas, so I'd have to go with Vegas.

That game is much more enjoyable to me at least. Fallout 3 also made me want to just rush the main quest and be done with it while I'm much more interested in doing the whole "walk a random direction"-thing in New Vegas.

However, for some reason I think Fallout 3 looks much better. New Vegas is basically Morrowind with guns even with the highest quality textures...

Think I recognized one of the faces taken straight from Morrowind as well.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

New vegas by far. It's a much better game than Fallout 3 IMO.

Most of the problems that plagued New Vegas at launch are pretty much gone now, but Fallout 3 still has some nasty shit in there. Hell, you need to download a .dll file for it to run on Windows 7!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Fallout 3 much better game IMO.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I honestly enjoyed Fallout 3 way more, I though NV was kind of a dud personally.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

New Vegas improved Fallout 3 in every way. And the writing is a lot better.