Female gamers and jerks who bother us

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By wrighteous86

In this thread, "nice guys" get to take out their pent-up aggression on women that don't want them.

Fluxxed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Fluxxed
@Wrighteous86 said:
" In this thread, "nice guys" get to take out their pent-up aggression on women that don't want them. "
That's funny because you've been white-knighting this whole topic.
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By wrighteous86
@Fluxxed: Giving my opinion that girls shouldn't have to hide that they're girls isn't white knighting. 

I also think gays should be able to serve openly in the military.  While the scale of both statements are different, the sentiment is the same.  People who are bigoted are the problem, not the people they hate.
LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By LiquidSwords

No Caption Provided
Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Portis

These threads are always entertaining.

Fluxxed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Fluxxed
@Wrighteous86 said:
" @Fluxxed: Giving my opinion that girls shouldn't have to hide that they're girls isn't white knighting.  I also think gays should be able to serve openly in the military.  While the scale of both statements are different, the sentiment is the same.  People who are bigoted are the problem, not the people they hate. "
Someone disagrees with a woman on the internet, they must be bigots!
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#107  Edited By LiquidPrince

People are jerks no matter the gender.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By wrighteous86
@Fluxxed said:

" @Wrighteous86 said:

" @Fluxxed: Giving my opinion that girls shouldn't have to hide that they're girls isn't white knighting.  I also think gays should be able to serve openly in the military.  While the scale of both statements are different, the sentiment is the same.  People who are bigoted are the problem, not the people they hate. "
Someone disagrees with a woman on the internet, they must be bigots! "
Most of the people in this thread are saying women shouldn't be allowed to make their sex known.  That is a bigoted statement.  It suggests intolerance towards women.  And yes, I think the intolerance stems from sexual rejection. 
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Pinworm45
@Wrighteous86 said:
" In this thread, "nice guys" get to take out their pent-up aggression on women that don't want them. "
I have a girlfriend. Furthermore, you're the one being a "nice guy" here. I hardly consider myself a nice guy. I just really don't give a shit. I aggressively don't give a shit, which is why these threads and type of people are so annoying. It has nothing to do with her having a pussy, and everything to do with her being obnoxious. So yea, I really don't care if she flaunts that she's a chick on the net and then gets annoyed when people tell her to get back in the kitchen because they don't care. 

At the same time I'm not going to waste my time doing that, if only because woman jokes are pretty old at this point. That said, I really don't care when they work and annoy her.
Fluxxed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Fluxxed
@Wrighteous86 said:

" @Fluxxed said:

" @Wrighteous86 said:
Most of the people in this thread are saying women shouldn't be allowed to make their sex known.  That is a bigoted statement.  It suggests intolerance towards women. "
Actually they're saying that you'll get abuse no matter what your gender is, or anything about you for that matter, this is the internet.
Of course it's not right that sexist comments are thrown about so freely, but it isn't going to stop because some random internet dickheads say it's wrong and makes me sad :'(
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By wrighteous86
@Pinworm45:@Fluxxed:
I'm just saying that I don't think most girls are "asking for it", that's all.  I think a lot of guys tend to perceive it that way, but there's a difference between not flaunting your sex for a reaction, and hiding your gender altogether.  The internet will claim a girl is "asking for it" just because they have a feminine screenname, or because they use a microphone, and I think that's bullshit.   

There are cases where girls are being obnoxious or are being mocked equally to their fellow gamers, but I don't think that justifies a lot of the hate. 

I also have a girlfriend, and am not socially awkward.  I don't need to White Knight.  I just happen to have this opinion based on my experiences playing online with my female roommate.
fullmetal5550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By fullmetal5550

I don't care whether someone is male or female or what they do or say when they play online.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#113  Edited By Sooty

Worst "I'm a girl" thread ever.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By BraveToaster
@Wrighteous86 said:
" @Fluxxed said:

" @Wrighteous86 said:

Most of the people in this thread are saying women shouldn't be allowed to make their sex known.  That is a bigoted statement.  It suggests intolerance towards women.  And yes, I think the intolerance stems from sexual rejection.  "
No one said that women shouldn't be allowed to make their sex known. What are you talking about? 
Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#115  Edited By Gerhabio
@Afroman269:  I wasn't saying you were being a dick, but rather particular or capricious. I understood it just fine and my first language isn't English either. Plus, it never feels nice when someone tells you to fix your grammar.
hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By hero_swe
@Wrighteous86 said:
"

I wonder how many of the gamers in this thread that hate "attention whores" also think that they're "nice guys" that girls won't give a chance.  I'm betting the cross-over is pretty high, because most "nice guys" are just passive-aggressive pricks.

"

This, so much this in this thread. You couldn't be any more passive-aggressive unless you put jews and nazis together in a funeral, also Godwin's law.
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By wrighteous86
@Axxol said:

" No one said that women shouldn't be allowed to make their sex known. What are you talking about?  "  

On the last page alone:

" i talk shit to girls who are attention whores the ones who make a point t let everyone know they are a girl."  

" And how, pray tell, do these people know you're a woman? Sounds like you're shit talking to me or being an attention whore. "

" You shouldn't reveal information that can lead to those things. "

It is the woman's fault for not hiding their gender.  Revealing their gender makes them an "attention whore".  Come on guys, we all know this is how most gamers are acting online towards women.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By BraveToaster
@Wrighteous86 said:
" @Axxol said:

" No one said that women shouldn't be allowed to make their sex known. What are you talking about?  "  

On the last page alone:

" i talk shit to girls who are attention whores the ones who make a point t let everyone know they are a girl."  

" And how, pray tell, do these people know you're a woman? Sounds like you're shit talking to me or being an attention whore. "

" You shouldn't reveal information that can lead to those things. "

It is the woman's fault for not hiding their gender.  Revealing their gender makes them an "attention whore".  Come on guys, we all know this is how most gamers are acting online towards women. "
Advising someone not to release personal information and telling someone they shouldn't have the option are two different things.
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By wrighteous86
@Axxol: Okay, they're aren't saying they shouldn't be allowed.  They're saying it's their own fault.  Don't ask, don't tell.   

Good thing guys don't need to avoid voice chat and any masculine identifiers on the web, because that would be bullshit. 

I play games online with my female roommate.  After 3 months, she doesn't feel comfortable with voice chat, and gets PMs after every game because her tag is obviously feminine.  It is not "equal" harassment.
Avatar image for oppressivestink
OppressiveStink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By OppressiveStink

@Wrighteous86

You seem to not be getting the true point of what a majority of the disagreeing people are saying here.

Competitive video games are like competitive sports.  When you play them, you get your adrenaline up and generally more aggressive.  When you're feeling more aggressive, you tend to say more aggressive things to... well, just about anybody.

Until recently, the area of competitive video games were primarily a male dominated activity.  To those of you new to this type of activity, men are lewd, vulgar, dastardly and bastardly to each other in competitive environments.  We insult each other, take digs at one-another, spit out baseless insults, this is part of being in this type of competitive world.

What happens when a woman comes into this?  Nothing.  Nothing new happens at all.  They're not more of a jerk or less of a jerk, they're just picking on an aspect of what she is as part of the collective competition.  In fact, one could say someone being nice to them or "White Knighting" them would be giving them special treatment and generally telling them that they aren't strong enough to deal with what's expected in this genre of gaming.

As far as hiding their sex, no, they shouldn't have to at all.  I agree with that.  Here's the rub though, if they don't, they should be ready, willing, and able to take any amount of shit thrown at them.  This is the writing on the wall for ANY competitive gamer, male or female.  They can evolve to roll with the punches and throw some themselves, or they can cower in a corner and wonder why everyone is being so mean.  THESE ARE THE ONLY TWO ANSWERS TO THE QUESTION.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By wrighteous86
@OppressiveStink: I added to my last post.  I play with a girl regularly.  She gets PMs and shit-talk constantly, and I don't.  No one else does.  If a girl is in a match, they are the source of all the shit-talk in my experience.  I'll get people bitching at me if I fuck up, or some angry PMs if I win, but I don't think it's equal harassment for girls that is just focused on the player's sex.  People on the boards tend to say guys get it just as bad, and if you can't handle it, hide your gender.  I don't think they should have to hide, and I don't think it's equal. 

I appreciate your opinion, though.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By BraveToaster
@OppressiveStink: Well said.
actionTACO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By actionTACO

no, see, the reason i harass  women isn't because i'm a socially maladjusted, obese, unkempt, misogynistic man child, it's that they're all literally attention whores.

OppressiveStink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By OppressiveStink
@Wrighteous86: 
That's funny, I could forward you a whole box of MvC3 shit-talk in my box just from this weekend and I'm a dude with a deep voice.  Perhaps you're just not good enough to piss people off.
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By wrighteous86
@OppressiveStink: That comment was focused on voice chat, and I don't play fighting games.  Thanks for following up your reasoned and articulate argument with a lame personal attack at my gaming skill level though. Thanks for the intelligent discussion.
OppressiveStink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By OppressiveStink
@Wrighteous86: 
Then you get my point.
beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#127  Edited By beargirl1

games

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By wrighteous86
@OppressiveStink: If you're point is: the internet is full of jackasses, I got your point. I'm just arguing that most of them are passive-aggressive misogynist jackasses.  

I don't really care guys. I have a different opinion from you.  I'm done with this pointless back-and-forth.  I think I've made my case.
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ignore it, best advice I can give you.

Mute/block irritating people and move on.
Its been working 22 years for me so far.

And if its too much for ya to handle girl, just don't let people know your a chick.
Unplug your microphone, don't put it in your profiles and stuff.
I often play without microphone as I rather focus on the game anyway.

Voxatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Voxatron
@Enigma777 said:
" @SuperSambo said:
" Get back in the kitchen. "
Srsly... that sammich isn't gonna make itself. "
Srsly now... What kind guys? sammich equals a food item and by no means is a specific dish. so gesh. specificity with the remarks please boys. 

Now on to more of a serious note; there really just isn't much you can do about it since it's definitely not going to change anytime soon. I mean it's on a schema level of sorts with a majority of the worlds population. It's just definitely something you've really just got to take in strides that's all and implementing more ways to reduce it certainly wouldn't hurt though .
kemp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By kemp

Don't take it so seriously. I think everyone takes shit in games that are competitive, both guys and girls. It just seems more direct when they try to find anything that they can use to offend you. Like "get back in the kitchen" and so on. For example, im a dude with two nationalities. If I play on servers that officially use the language that im poor handling with and I try to communicate with them, they will bash me for it and use a specific name for people with my nationality.  The only cure for this is to not care, play with friends, change server. But if you must, add some oil to the fire and have a laugh. 

That's my two cents into this discussion and I beg my pardon as english is not my main language and haven't read english books for ages. 

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#132  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Fuck man, I barely listen to real people.

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By JerichoBlyth

At least they're not asking you out.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#134  Edited By Miketakon

I really hate the term "Female Gamer".  It makes no sense to me.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Three0neFive
@Miketakon said:
" I really hate the term "Female Gamer".  It makes no sense to me. "
Seriously, this.

Go eat a dick, gender has nothing to do with anything. If they weren't saying "get back in the kitchen", it'd be "i fucked your girlfriend", "you're a faggot", etc. It doesn't fucking matter, people will find something about you to rip to shreds no matter what. It happens to Every. Single. Person. On the internet.
mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By mnzy
@Three0neFive: So you are the one SENDING those messages. Interesting.

To be honest, every personal property you display online will eventually be a target. No matter if it is your gender, race, nationality, age or whatever. 
Insults feel better if they are personal.
I'm German, and people like to remind me about that all the time on XBL.
Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Three0neFive
@mnzy said:

" @Three0neFive: So you are the one SENDING those messages. Interesting."

Nah, I'm just a proponent of toughening the fuck up and not deluding yourself into thinking everyone in the world cares that you have a vagina. You don't see guys going around posting threads about "Guy gamers and whores who bother us", because most guys (or at least ones I'd consider associating myself with) know that most people don't give a shit that they have a dick.
Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's not just women. People on the internet in general are just major assholes to everybody. Some are trolls, others are pissed off because they're getting their ass handed to them, some are genuine hicks.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By mutha3
@actionTACO said:

" no, see, the reason i harass  women isn't because i'm a socially maladjusted, obese, unkempt, misogynistic man child, it's that they're all literally attention whores. "

gamers

@Three0neFive

said:

" @mnzy said:

" @Three0neFive: So you are the one SENDING those messages. Interesting."

Nah, I'm just a proponent of toughening the fuck up and not deluding yourself into thinking everyone in the world cares that you have a vagina. You don't see guys going around posting threads about "Guy gamers and whores who bother us", because most guys (or at least ones I'd consider associating myself with) know that most people don't give a shit that they have a dick. "
hahahhaah

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE POOR PRIVILEGED 14-30 YEAR OLD WHITE MALES

edit: what the fuck are you talking about anyways, the losers on this site spew out misogynistic bile on daily basis
evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By evanbrau
@Vortexus1981: Replying to your OP with this.

A lot of people who play games, and an even higher percentage of males who frequently post online have had no luck with women because they were nerds, socially awkward etc. They eventually start blaming the women not themselves like they should and this view is reinforced by all the sexist memes and "get back to the kitchen" type comments that 4chan has sent out into the world. They see a girl doing and excelling at something they love and thought was "theirs" so they lash out because they are broken human beings.

It's always easier to blame something other than yourself for your flaws. It's the same as people who self diagnosis disorders like Aspergers, if it's something beyond your control then you don't have to work to change it and can just wallow in self pity blaming something else for the rest of your life. That's my opinion on why some people react this way: something they blame for their horrible lives is in the one thing they can cling onto and they don't like it.
ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By ColinWright

Mostly because a lot of them try to get as much attention as possible. It's also sad that we're still at this point where one has to say "I'm a Girl-Gamer" instead of just saying "I'm a gamer". 

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By mutha3
@evanbrau said:

" @Vortexus1981: Replying to your OP with this.  A lot of people who play games, and an even higher percentage of males who frequently post online have had no luck with women because they were nerds, socially awkward etc. They eventually start blaming the women not themselves like they should and this view is reinforced by all the sexist memes and "get back to the kitchen" type comments that 4chan has sent out into the world. They see a girl doing and excelling at something they love and thought was "theirs" so they lash out because they are broken human beings.  It's always easier to blame something other than yourself for your flaws. It's the same as people who self diagnosis disorders like Aspergers, if it's something beyond your control then you don't have to work to change it and can just wallow in self pity blaming something else for the rest of your life. That's my opinion on why some people react this way: something they blame for their horrible lives is in the one thing they can cling onto and they don't like it. "

Yeah, I know an actual autistic person(that means a real one, diagnosed by a doctor, not the internet) and while he certainly has his quirks,  he also has a social life, a girlfriend, a loving family.....and doesn't waste huge amounts of his time wallowing in self-pity.
Giacomito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Giacomito

The way I see it is that people will always to find something to try and bring you down with. 

I play SSF4 a lot online, and I get "hate-mail" every now and then, and they never go personal because my online name doesnt give them anything to work with, if your name clearly indicate that you are a girl, they are gonna comment on that. If your name indicates that you are hispanic/black/asian/white whatever they are gonna go for that. 

So I don't think it's more of a "guys hating on girls" thing as much as it is "people loosing hating on the people winning" thing.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By evanbrau
@mutha3: That's why I specified "self diagnosed". People read the wikipedia article and see that one of the symptoms can be poor social skills and they think "wow that explains why I have such poor social skills". I know that people who are actually on the autistic spectrum have very full and rich lives.
FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#146  Edited By FesteringNeon

It's easy to target those in which they cannot touch.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#148  Edited By recroulette

I thought this topic was about female gamers who bother us.  

I was going to say any of those faux-journalist types. Ones that don't know what they are talking about.

DCam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By DCam
@Jimbo said:
" It's not like it's all hugs n handshakes between males on XBL - there's plenty of hostility on there to go around.  Are you having any trouble on Giant Bomb? "
Too true. And often about someone being "a fag" or "your mother." So no matter which genders are involved, it ends up involving sexuality and gender stereotypes. People using online anonymity to figure out their identity? Or lowest common denominator?

And I agree with @Dany. You don't get responses because people want to say a zinger, get a quick laugh, and move on.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#150  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Pinworm45 said:

" Conclusion: Get over it. "