Forza 3 Demo VS Shift - The Game Experience

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

After having played the Forza 3 Demo extensively, I feel confident enough to compare the two games core gameplay, the driving experience.

Forza 3 is sooo much smoother than Shift. It's sooo gentle. The driving feels like a little a cute kitten, with soft fur, purring from pure joy. The only thing, that has some bite, are the brakes. If anything goes wrong, redemption is just one buttonpush away. Sooo relaxing. Forza almost starts to feel like a puzzle game at times. How do I take this corner to overtake this dude? Like this? No. Rewind. Like this. Yes! Sweet. The AI acts like gentlemen in a gentlemens competition.

Shift is like wild stallion trying to rape your ass. It's sooo hardcore. The volatile, borderline nervous steering. The overwhelming, raw sense of speed. The unforgiving reality of having no way to undo any mistake made on the track. The AI - out for blood. Rear-ending, blocking, bumping off, spinning out the player at every opportunity. Real assholes. Acting just as aggressive as real humans act online. Only the braking is a little more forgiving than Forzas. 

It's a very wierd situation. I like Forza 3 better, because it treats me better. It's just gentler, smoother. It's kinda zen. But Shift nails the actual driving experience. The sensation of racing crazy powerful cars down a racetrack. Shift outdoes Forza 3 tenfold. It's sooo much more exciting. In fact, it's often aggrivating. Shifts drivers experience can be too much. To enjoy Shift, I have to be zen myself. Forza 3 is zen from the get-go. I really like Forza 3 much more. Forza 3 could be my friend. I can see me spend a lot of time with it. A good buddy to spend a lot of quality time with. But fuck, Shift is the better ride.

If only Forza had Shifts racing experience or Shift had Forzas zen gamedesign. Being friendly with Forza or the love/hate relationship with Shift, both are lacking the others best qualities. What a dilemma.

What's you guys take on these games? Do you share my views?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

I freaking love how you described these games. I've only played Forza and it plays exactly how you described it. I love the rewind feature though - I seriously think this feature will make me buy the game. I used to get so fed up with having to be so perfect in Forza 1 and making just stupid little mistakes and having to start the whole race over. Now I can take each part strategically and not be afraid. It really is something else.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By eclipsesis

It was a good read. 

Best Sentence ever "Shift is like wild stallion trying to rape your ass."

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kmdrkul

You actually put this better than most people I've seen trying to compare these games. 

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By meteora

Wow, that read was pretty good man. Nice job on the comparison, enjoyed it.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By StaticFalconar

A much rather like Forza over Shift since real life racing isn't about slamming your cars into each other but good driving and over taking your opponents. I seriously hate the online in shift since I feel like I'm playing mario kart instead. Give me full damage and penalties for hitting each other any day since it means I can focus on the driving and not that blue shell/car trying to hit me.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By evanbrau

Thought Shift was a terrible buggy mess so I brought it back then downloaded the Forza 3 demo and had more fun there than I could ever of had with Shift.  Can't wait for Forza 3 to come out and I've been an avowed Gran Turismo fan up until this point.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Bouke

@Seppli:
I like how you compare Shift and Forza since both games are (almost) out, and many gamers might want to know which one is better or more fun. Having played both games myself i have to say that i disagree with some of the points you make.

My time playing shift was not that long but during that time i kept getting annoyed by a number of things. Shift does feel really nervous and fast but not in a good way.. most of the time i didn't feel like i was in control of the car i was driving, the handling felt loose and cornering was just a matter of steering in and powersliding through every bent. The other cars would just drive into you instead of trying to avoid a crash, what i found really unrealistic. That brings me to another point which is that everywhere i look Shift is considered a sim racing game and compared to GT and Forza. If i had to compare Shift, i would compare it more with  Grid and Project Gotham Racing. Since it isn't really arcade but it isn't sim driving either.   

Forza on the other hand has more realistic handling, and the AI isn't trying to run you off the road at every corner. Also the difference between two cars is more significant in Forza, and a RWD car will require a different driving style then a FWD or AWD car. I'm not saying that the driving doesn't feel nervous in Forza3 (just take the Porsche and turn off all assists), but its more like how the actual car would handle in real life. Outside of driving i think Forza 3 has a lot more to offer than Shift does, with the upgrading, tuning and livery editor being more robust in Forza 3.  

Still both games are great if you like driving, but if you want a more serious and realistic game, Forza 3 is the game for you (i my opinion).

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Seppli
@Bouke: 

The thing about the steering, accelerating and braking in Shift is, that it rewards/punishes the smallest inputs. In other words, you really need to use the full width of the analag input - mindfully.  As for the extensive powersliding - I guess, it's the tribute to the arcade heritage of the Need for Speed franchise, that the game allows it, the way it does. Same goes for the non-punishing braking - which Forza definitly simulates better. It nails, how a car handles, while your foot is on the breaks. A car tends to go straight while braking, no matter where you try to point it at - just like in real life.

Other than the braking simulation, I have to disagree with the realism of Forzas driving experience. I've crashed two cars in my youth. One was a full rollover. Don't worry, I got lucky both times. Not a scratch on me. Anyways - cars don't react as tame in real life, as they do in Forza. Especially at such high speeds. The faster you go, the less error it tolerates. I've never gone as fast in real life, as the supercars go, that we get to drive in videogames, but I'm certain, they won't handle anything like the cars in Forza - Shift seems to be much closer to my experiences with driving cars fast. Forza neuters the driving physics to allow for smoother, gentler, more agreeable gameplay.

Racing is about being at the edge. It's about nailing the very thin line between being in control and plummeting into catastrophe. Shift definitly nails that feeling. More than Forza does. Forza is the better designed game though, for sure.
Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bouke
@Seppli: 
Good to hear you didn't get hurt. I put my car in a wall after spinning out on a S-turn which i took to fast while it was wet. Nothing to serious for me, but the car wasn't as lucky. The impact of a crash is violent, like how they put it in Shift. It is a nice touch how the screen turns grey after a crash, in that way i do think Shift looks more real. But like you said the faster you go, the less error it tolerates and i do think Forza has that mechanic down. A major difference is that Forza like the GT series has cars from all classes, in Shift you get race cars.
The point that i'm trying to make is that i think being on the edge shouldn't be about the ammount of control you have over the car. And although i've never driven a race car, i think Forza is doing a better job showing off how fast a car can go, while still giving the player the feeling they're in control.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrKlorox

SHIFT offers tactile subwoofer support. I.E, the subwoofer channel in Dolby Digital (or PC 5.1) sound formats offers feedback according to engine rev, pavement/offroad/rumble strip/curb tire grip as well as collision. Forza 3 (at least demo) does not --(only a little bit when you collide).

@Seppli: 
As a fellow Battlefield fanatic, I'd seriously recommend a tactile transducer, such as the BKGR -- Buttkicker Gamer (available for both NA and Euro electricity interfaces) at least for Frostbite engine games in proper DD surround sound. BC and 1943 have excellent tactile support for when you get bombarded or a tank drives near you. You feel the shellshock of the explosive or the traction of the heavy equipment driving by. Top-notch sound deisgn at DICE.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Seppli
@MrKlorox: 

Does the house come with the Buttkicker or do I have to buy that one extra? ;D
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MrKlorox
@Seppli: Oh yeah... I guess it would probably cause noise problems if one didn't live on the ground floor of a building. But I've been able to find two of them on the net for no more than 66% retail price (actually one was only $60 USD new --50%) so they aren't as expensive as one would think at first glance. But that would be the NA version after all... But it attaches to most computer chairs out of the box and can be attached to more furniture with a bit of imagination.

If you can find some other brand/device that does the same thing, go for it. I just recommend the BKGR because it's inexpensive, but there are other brands such as Bass Shaker, as well as some gaming chairs that have the feature built-in. If you don't have a dolby digital decoder, they also work fine in mono/stereo mode (awesome for headphones) but you dont get the discreet sub tones in some games (though sadly there aren't many notible ones with proper sub support -- yet). And of course also great for bassy music.

You can actually hear some of the low tones resonate through your body (if you attach it to the right kinda seat), so they can make a perfect component for headphones that just don't have the low punch you want.

I really don't know why I'm trying to sell the idea to you so hard. I should get paid by Guitammer.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Seppli said:
" @Bouke:    The thing about the steering, accelerating and braking in Shift is, that it rewards/punishes the smallest inputs. In other words, you really need to use the full width of the analag input - mindfully.  As for the extensive powersliding - I guess, it's the tribute to the arcade heritage of the Need for Speed franchise, that the game allows it, the way it does. Same goes for the non-punishing braking - which Forza definitly simulates better. It nails, how a car handles, while your foot is on the breaks. A car tends to go straight while braking, no matter where you try to point it at - just like in real life.   Other than the braking simulation, I have to disagree with the realism of Forzas driving experience. I've crashed two cars in my youth. One was a full rollover. Don't worry, I got lucky both times. Not a scratch on me. Anyways - cars don't react as tame in real life, as they do in Forza. Especially at such high speeds. The faster you go, the less error it tolerates. I've never gone as fast in real life, as the supercars go, that we get to drive in videogames, but I'm certain, they won't handle anything like the cars in Forza - Shift seems to be much closer to my experiences with driving cars fast. Forza neuters the driving physics to allow for smoother, gentler, more agreeable gameplay.  Racing is about being at the edge. It's about nailing the very thin line between being in control and plummeting into catastrophe. Shift definitly nails that feeling. More than Forza does. Forza is the better designed game though, for sure. "

The problem with this is, I doubt you've ever driven a race car that is designed and set up for driving at high speeds. It is much more stable than a road car in the same situation.
JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By JerichoBlyth

Am I the only one who found that the Forza 3 demo was complete pants? After playing through Dirt 2...the environment surrounding the car seems artificial...or...dead even. 

Shift however was a breath of fresh air....for the NFS series anyway lol

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PercyChuggs

Why does everything have to be "This game vs that game"? Why can't you play BOTH games and enjoy them in their own ways?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Seppli

I actually really enjoyed the Forza 3 demo. From the options screens to the actual gameplay. Music, tone, colors and all. Everything feels perfectly zen. In balance. It has a very inviting, smooth and relaxed vibe to it. I can see me spending a lot of time with Forza 3 without it ever pissing me off. A kind spirited game. Good times.

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Crixaliz

I was completely sold on Shift until I saw the Forza Ferrari trailer now i'm thinking Forza.

If you drive in manual is there a clutch in Shift? I read that there is one in Forza (I'm not at home this week, so I can't check).
Also how does the car physical customization in the two games compare? I would guess its abit more limited in Forza in terms of body-kits and spoilers etc. I know for paint jobs Forza wins cause of that whole community and painter thing.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Seppli

Shift was -20% off Fullprice at my fav eShop. It's on top of their bestseller list for PS3 and on 3rd place for 360. As long as you don't pay fullprice, Shift is definitly worth the scratch. Forza 3 seems like a solid full price day 1 one purchase. As for the clutch - I don't know. Never picked up stick shifting in videogames. I don't know anything about the upgrade and tuning system of Forza 3. Shift offerings are solid in that department. Some rides have up to 3 bodykits & a total race conversion.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bouke
@PercyChuggs:
For me personally, with having a full time job and other things to do as well, there is only so much time i can spent playing games. If i had it my way i would play most games out there, but i just don't have the time so i don't mind a little debat on which game is better value for your money and your time.
Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bouke
@Crixaliz:
I think both games support the use of the clutch, but you have to turn it on. I tried using the clutch in the Forza demo the other day, but i can't get it to work... I don't own a steeringwheel and using the controller was far from ideal on the gearbox. I drive a standard car i real life so i figured it wouldn't be that hard, but i couldn't get it down.  
In the Forza demo there is no customization, but they did say there will be more options then in Forza 2, so for now its hard to say which game has more. Forza has over 400 cars Shift 75 and  Forza has ?? tracks with over 115    layouts and Shift has 18 tracks with 54 layouts. 
Both are quality games, i prefer Forza over Shift because of the feeling of the cars.