Free to play MMORPG?

TepiDDeatH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By TepiDDeatH

I'm looking to start playing a free to play MMORPG? Any suggestions so I don't have to sign-up, download, patch...ect, ect; before I find the right one? Which are your favorites?

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By jasta

I remember playing Knights Online years ago, which was pretty fun for a free game. No idea what its current state is, but its still going.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By RE_Player1

You can play World of Warcraft for free for the first 20 levels.

TepiDDeatH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TepiDDeatH

I guess it's a little too much to ask for somethin that more toward the free side than anything.....

Chemin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Chemin

I've only played Allods Online and Runes of Magic. Both of which seemed to deliver a quite good/decent experience. MMORPGs aren't really my thing to begin with, tho', but Runes of Magic is probably the one I spent most of my time with.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RE_Player1

I know it's not an MMO but perhaps you should try the recently released Age of Empires Online. It has a lot of traits borrowed from MMOs like WoW, such as the quests, but it is a real time strategy game. It's free to play and you can buy things if you wish.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By BabyChooChoo
  • APB Reloaded. The controls, balance, and lag are miles better than they were when the original was still around, but if you hated the original just based on what it was then you probably won't like this slightly better version.
  • LotRO. This was 'my WoW.' I started playing back when it had a sub fee, and I got more than my money's worth.
  • Vindictus. It's sort of like PSO except the combat and visuals are miles better. There's ne central hub where players gather, they walk up to a board to accept missions, anywhere from 1-4 people can go on mission, you go do what you need to do and you come back. Depends on how much you like that style of game really.
  • Runes of Magic. It's a free, slightly less refined WoW. By no means bad IMO, but depends on how much you like WoW in all honesty.
  • Global Agenda. Not as much an MMO as it is either a coop shooter or a versus shooter that happens to have a lobby you can run around in. There is an open are to do missions in, but it isn't that special IMO, but still worth checking out.
  • Black Prophecy. Spaceships. Real time control. I thought it was fun.
  • Forsaken World. Fun, but a bit grindy and very rough around the edges. I highly suggest looking up some gameplay or reviews first.
  • Allods Online. Like RoM, but better IMO. I really, really liked the art style. In all honesty, this is probably one of the few f2p MMOs that could pass as a subscription game. Also, the elf chicks are 1 step away from being strippers. Both in dance moves and under garments. I wish I was joking.
dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By dillonwerner

Guild Wars is free to play online, but you have to buy it and its cheap as hell..

TepiDDeatH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TepiDDeatH

I like the idea of stripper elf chicks :) I'm gonna give it a try...

Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Thor_Molecules

I'll just leave this trailer here. You just have to wait a while for it to come out though.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Guild Wars 1 was a great game. You do have to actually buy the game and the expansions and it's technically not an MMO (it also does away with many of the bad things about the genre though). It's still very much worth playing while waiting for GW2, which is combining the best bits of GW, with the best stuff from typical MMO's.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Champions Online is an ok MMO and just recently Age of Conan went free to play. Neither games are ones I really want to play for longer times, but they are free and not bad.

Also: Head to Steam and check there. They have a section for free games and mmo's.

JimmyRedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By JimmyRedd

I had a lot of fun playing Anarchy Online, but that was about 5 years ago.  Can't really say what it's like these days.