Gabe Newell on the Nerdist podcast talking. Also Wil Wheaton.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By manhattan_project
Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ravenlight

Everybody knows video games make you a murderous psycho, not podcasts.

Also, thanks for the links. Newell and Wheaton are two guys who I could listen talk about anything, forever.

JacobG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By JacobG

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up, I've been waiting for this episode ever since Hardwick talked about it on Twitter a while back. Also, it's up on iTunes already for anyone who uses that for their podcasts.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Branthog

Wow. Finally something on that podcast that isn't just another yammering stand-up comedian (hello, 1980s!). I might actually listen to that podcast for once, now!

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Branthog said:

Wow. Finally something on that podcast that isn't just another yammering stand-up comedian (hello, 1980s!). I might actually listen to that podcast for once, now!

Tom Hanks one was brilliant, same with the Breaking Bad actors and Jimmy Kimmel are ones that stood out to me, but I found that podcast late and they already had like 200 guest so I just skimmed through the ones that looked good. Oh and Hank Azaria.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ravenlight

I am literally crying, I'm laughing so hard.

You can make leather out of foreskins.

- Gabe Newell

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I used to listen to that podcast, but it became a too much self congratulatory I just couldn't listen to it anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

This sounds interesting but it would require that I listen to The Nerdist so no thanks.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kerned

I tried listening to that podcast once and hated it. On the other hand, I sure do like Wil Wheaton.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By rentfn

Thanks a lot for the heads up. CM Punk was on this podcast a few months ago. I might have to subscribe to this guy. He has good stuff!!!

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By MarkWahlberg

@Mr_Skeleton said:

I used to listen to that podcast, but it became a too much self congratulatory I just couldn't listen to it anymore.

@bartok said:

This sounds interesting but it would require that I listen to The Nerdist so no thanks.

I've started listening to Nerdist a little bit over the past few weeks, and it seems like whether it's any good or not depends entirely on who the guest is. Half the time, Hardwick lets them get a sentence in, then runs with it off on some tangent about his thoughts on life and showbiz for 20 minutes and it's just like 'dude stfu nobody cares', but if the guest gets a chance to talk and has something interesting to say, it can be kinda cool, just because the podcast is long enough to give them a chance to say something other than the dumb promotional shit they have to do for TV interviews and stuff.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Renahzor

I curious what someone would do on a podcast besides talk.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Branthog

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Branthog said:

Tom Hanks one was brilliant, same with the Breaking Bad actors and Jimmy Kimmel are ones that stood out to me, but I found that podcast late and they already had like 200 guest so I just skimmed through the ones that looked good. Oh and Hank Azaria.

Most of the ones I've wound up checking are always just some comedian being interviewed and, with few exceptions, I pretty much detest comedians. That's why I don't listen to half of the most popular podcasts out there -- they're just comedians or people interviewing comedians. Actually, I think I might have heard the one with Brian Cranston, now that you mention it. That was pretty good. But I haven't found enough good episodes worth keeping subscribed to it.

Of course, that's just me. Other people may be really into comedians and hearing them interviewed. I'm not saying it's a shit-show. It just is really really really outside my wheel-house based on when I've tried it. :)

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Branthog said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Branthog said:

Most of the ones I've wound up checking are always just some comedian being interviewed and, with few exceptions, I pretty much detest comedians. That's why I don't listen to half of the most popular podcasts out there -- they're just comedians or people interviewing comedians. Actually, I think I might have heard the one with Brian Cranston, now that you mention it. That was pretty good. But I haven't found enough good episodes worth keeping subscribed to it.

Of course, that's just me. Other people may be really into comedians and hearing them interviewed. I'm not saying it's a shit-show. It just is really really really outside my wheel-house based on when I've tried it. :)

Yeah it's a podcast you listen to for the guests rather than the hosts.

scalpel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By scalpel

I can already tell how terrible that podcast is from hearing its name.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Miketakon

@scalpel said:

I cringed when the Chip Tunes theme played. But overall it was a really good listen. GABEN is an amazing guy.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Miketakon said:

@scalpel said:

I cringed when the Chip Tunes theme played. But overall it was a really good listen. GABEN is an amazing guy.

Cynicism! Yay!!

Capasso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Capasso

Just listened to the first one ("about games" or so they said), with wesley crusher as a guest. The pandering and ass kissing is kind of annoying, but Gaben is a great enough guy to make it interesting. It's always good to hear that Valve wants to make the game dev and marketing as open and collaborative as possible, and everything he said just but confirms that they're really pushing some kind of hardware platform for games with some innovative tech behind it.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Branthog

@Capasso said:

Just listened to the first one ("about games" or so they said), with wesley crusher as a guest. The pandering and ass kissing is kind of annoying, but Gaben is a great enough guy to make it interesting. It's always good to hear that Valve wants to make the game dev and marketing as open and collaborative as possible, and everything he said just but confirms that they're really pushing some kind of hardware platform for games with some innovative tech behind it.

To be fair, they are basically fanboys visiting Valve on the pretense of being fanboys who are just recording them being fanboys in front of their idol. I am entirely fine with it. I didn't expect hard-hitting news, here. It's not like they're a game website interviewing the guy or something.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Branthog

This is actually a really good 2+ hours of Gaben. Wish we got to see him like this more often. I'm a fanboy (a critical one, but one none the less) and I really like just hearing him shooting the shit without the sort of "OH MY GOD, THIS ASSHOLE IS GOING TO BRING UP HALFLIFE 3" tension going on. I would like to rub Gaben's belly.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By flasaltine

Ok I don't want to listen to all of this crap. Tell me if they mention Half Life 3 at all or any new games and what Gabes response was.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rattle618

I hate Hardwick so much...is it worth it to put up with him again to hear what Gabe has to say here?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By musubi
@rentfn

Thanks a lot for the heads up. CM Punk was on this podcast a few months ago. I might have to subscribe to this guy. He has good stuff!!!

I saw that apparently Jericho did something with them it wasn't up last I checked though. :-(
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Branthog

@Rattle618 said:

I hate Hardwick so much...is it worth it to put up with him again to hear what Gabe has to say here?

Well, I guess it depends how much you like Gaben. I don't know much about Hardwick except he's some dude who was on G4 or something, but I've listened to most of the two inteviews now and it's pretty interesting. It's not like a list of hard-nosed questions, but they talk some about the employee manual and dealing with players and the internet and at some point Gaben challenges Reddit and 4Chan to fight over him by taking down a lithuanian bank first. Also, there's Wil Wheaton and some girl on the podcast, too, so it's not just Hardwick asking questions the whole time at all.

paulwade1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By paulwade1984

I Don't care what that guy has to say unless he's talking about Half Life 3.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By colourful_hippie

@Ravenlight said:

I am literally crying, I'm laughing so hard.

You can make leather out of foreskins.

- Gabe Newell

Oh fuck, I have to listen to this.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Rattle618
@Branthog: Ilistened to the first one and its not so bad. He keeps quite and doesnt interrupt too much for the most part. Thanks.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Branthog

@paulwade1984 said:

I Don't care what that guy has to say unless he's talking about Half Life 3.

"One. Two. SQUIRREL!" -- Gaben