Game demos that you felt did not reflect the game well?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Diamond

As much as I feel game demos are important and good for gamers, I think a lot of recent game demos have really represented their full game counterparts poorly.

I almost completely skipped buying Uncharted and Valkyria Chronicles because I didn't really enjoy the demos, but the full games were awesome.  Killzone 2, Culdept Saga, and Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts all had demos worse than the games actually were.

Dragon Ball Z Burst Limit on the other hand had a demo that really made me think the game was going to be better than it turned out to be.

I can understand why developers and publishers might be wary about putting out demos, and I feel their fears are warranted.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By pause422

I think plenty of games that are more open, or let you explore an open world that choose to have demos you can play, generally don't work out too well. Its really hard to put a game like that into a demo. They obviously don't want to show you every little place in the demo, but then when things are cut down, some people may think its an actual restriction in the game as well. I think game demos should generally show you the low parts and the highest parts of what are contained in a game so you know what you can expect beginning to end, but of course most get this wrong.

I also think timed demos are the biggest mistake ever.

Magnus_Bulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Magnus_Bulla

I actually really liked both the Uncharted and Valkyrie demos. Hmm, the one demo that really stands out to me would have to be Burnout Paradise. I really didn't like the demo at all, and only ended up getting the game at my friends insistence. Over 80 hours later, I think it's safe to say my opinion of the game changed drastically.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By JCGamer
Magnus_Bulla said:
"I actually really liked both the Uncharted and Valkyrie demos. Hmm, the one demo that really stands out to me would have to be Burnout Paradise. I really didn't like the demo at all, and only ended up getting the game at my friends insistence. Over 80 hours later, I think it's safe to say my opinion of the game changed drastically."
Yea, I didn't think much of the Burnout Paradise demo and avoided the game for over a year.  But I got the game a few weeks ago and it rocks.  Of the Demo's I did play, only a few MADE me get up and get the game right away--ICO, and Uncharted.  Those were great demos.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Meowayne

Bioshock. The demo was too awesome and I was disappointed by the full version.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Magnus_Bulla said:
"I actually really liked both the Uncharted and Valkyrie demos. Hmm, the one demo that really stands out to me would have to be Burnout Paradise. I really didn't like the demo at all, and only ended up getting the game at my friends insistence. Over 80 hours later, I think it's safe to say my opinion of the game changed drastically."
This.  Burnout Paradise's demo was atrocious.  There were, what, five ramps in the whole area?  And three challenges?  And you could use all of a single car? 

Blah. 
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Medieval 2. The combat didn't seem to be complete shit when I played the demo.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By maxszy

I can't think of any specifically off the top of my head, but I think you are right.

As you say, game demos are important for us gamers. As it gives us an opportunity to try out a game. The only problem is, we can't EVER rely on a demo to be an accurate representation. So they are important, but they can't be the say all, end all regarding whether or not you want to buy a game or not.

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Alex_Murphy
Meowayne said:
"Bioshock. The demo was too awesome and I was disappointed by the full version."
Really? The demo was just the first 10 mins of the game. It seemed to be pretty much spot on as far as what the game was going to be like to me.