Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

1. Fallout: New Vegas
2. Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
3. Mass Effect

I have a feeling the Witcher 2 might be in there but I've only managed to get through the original so far with the backlog of games I have on Steam.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Doesn't this really just come down to Mass Effect 2 vs. Skyrim? Not saying that there weren't a lot of great RPGs this gen but those two were certainly the stand out.

1. Skyrim
  2. Mass Effect 2.
  3. Demon's Soul
StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I dunno, just can't see TLoZ in the same genre as Bayonetta. Those are intrinsically different experience.

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

1. Mass Effect
2. Dragon Age: Origins
3 Skyrim

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@grantheaslip: I'm basically in agreement with you. "Action-adventure" should be its own genre category as far as I'm concerned. It could also serve to encompass games like GTA and inFamous.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, all these suggestions just remind me of the handful of RPG's I got through this generation despite loving the genre but I'll drop my choices in nonetheless.

1. Fallout: New Vegas

2. Dark Souls

3. Dragon Age: Origins

I would add Mars: War Logs as a semi-joke since despite it being pretty janky, I actually enjoyed that game a lot more then I thought I would, but I'd be kidding myself if I thought it stacked against most of these game listed here.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By veektarius

ME 2 won game of the generation over Dark Souls. The semi-finalists were Skyrim and I think TLoU, but I'm not positive about that second one.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Mass Effect 3

2. The Witcher 2

3. Eternal Sonata.

Remember the drama last time around? Mass Effect was plowing through everything.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

#61  Edited By L33T_HAXOR

@zevvion: I currently have these phases in mind. If you have another suggestion let me know

How about fighting games? I think we all know what 1st and 2nd place will be, but I'm curious what will come in 3rd.

EDIT: Also, Rogue-likes, Rogue-like-likes and Rogue-like-like-likes

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#62  Edited By Slaps2
  1. Fallout 3
  2. Mass Effect
  3. Demon's Souls
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

1. Nier

2. Alpha Protocol

3. Fallout New Vegas

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm playing through Dragon Age Orgins on the PC right now and I very likely would vote for it in this three after I finish it, as I am absolutely loving it. So I don't know if I should vote right now..... But I guarantee Dark Souls makes the cut

So for right now I"m just going to throw out Dark Souls

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Dark Souls 2, The Witcher 2, Dark Souls

@starvinggamer: Why would you say "TLoZ" when you could just say Zelda? Zelda/Metroid are sort of their own category of game and while one is copied a lot the other is almost never.

This is just another Mass Effect 2 vs Dark Souls thing; in a few years people might come around on Dark Souls 2 or they might still have their heads up their own asses (or they just really like Solaire and Siegmeyer I guess); generally the latter is what happens. Dark Souls is better than Mass Effect 2 which is a shitload better than every other Bioware game ever; The Witcher 2 is slightly better than Dark Souls and marginally worse than Dark Souls 2 but there's an argument for either one. If this comes down to a poll Mass Effect 2 will win, if it comes down to forum posts Dark Souls will win. It's worth noting that as a rule this isn't much different than a character battle on gamefaqs.

Skyrim is somewhere around 15th or so.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@beachthunder said:

@zevvion said:

I'm not opposed to add Adventure, but I think it's kind of a weird category. Most adventure games I know nowadays are something else first. For example, Darksiders is certainly an adventure game, but probably moreso an action game? Don't know how you feel about that. Could you name some games that you think are clear cut adventure games?

I don't think Darksiders is an adventure game by any measure. Recent examples would be Walking Dead, Broken Age, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Gone Home, Gemini Rue. There's also a bunch of handheld stuff like Virtue's Last Reward, Ghost Trick, and the Professor Layton games.

"Adventure" is one of those weird genre names that has meant different things at different times. My question to you would be: "Which category does Legend of Zelda go in?".

Action-adventure. What constitutes an adventure game can be a slightly nebulous; however, compared to RPGs, I think it's much more clear-cut. Also, this is a pretty good overview of the genre.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@zevvion: I currently have these phases in mind. If you have another suggestion let me know

How about fighting games? I think we all know what 1st and 2nd place will be, but I'm curious what will come in 3rd.

EDIT: Also, Rogue-likes, Rogue-like-likes and Rogue-like-like-likes

I am definitely going to add fighting games among others. I'm not sure about roguelikes. Problem is, again, overlap. However, now that I think about it, maybe overlap doesn't really matter? A game could win in two categories, I suppose there is nothing wrong with that. But I kind of want to avoid having a certain game win 4 or whatever. That defeats the purpose of this.

Hyuzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This list only needs to be one item long, because the best RPG from this past generation was The Witcher 2.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: Do you want me to change my Binding of Isaac vote to something else? Is that RPG enough or not?

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: Do you want me to change my Binding of Isaac vote to something else? Is that RPG enough or not?

I haven't played it and didn't watch Patrick's streams. I don't feel 'qualified' to define it. If nobody objects to it, I'll count it. If anyone wants to share their opinion on this, I'd like to know though.

eladren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings

2. The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings

3. The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings

4. Dark Souls

5. Mass Effect 2

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

1. Fallout 3

2. Demons Souls

3. Mass Effect 2

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

1) Fallout 3

2) Dark Souls

3) Mass Effect 2

EdgeKasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Dark Souls

2. Skyrim

3. Mass Effect

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Fallout: New Vegas
  3. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Dark Souls

Skyrim

Avatar image for mustachioeugene
mustachioeugene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Dragon Age: Origins
-The Witcher 2
-Mass Effect 2

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Dark Souls

Bioshock

Mass Effect (the first one)

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#79  Edited By pweidman

For me:

1. The whole Mass Effect series. Sorry rules.

2. Fallout: New Vegas

3. ES:Oblivion

Needs to be mentioned: Lost Odyssey

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like Persona 5 will be on my list when it comes out.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Mass Effect 2

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

1. The Witcher (not going to win, unfortunately.)

2. Mass Effect 3 (not gonna win either. But atleast 2, the weakest in the series for me, will win. so ME wins as a franchise)

3. Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion (torn between this and Dragon Age, but Ill go with this)

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I would add Mars: War Logs as a semi-joke since despite it being pretty janky, I actually enjoyed that game a lot more then I thought I would, but I'd be kidding myself if I thought it stacked against most of these game listed here.

Is Mars War logs fun? I was interested in trying it out. What's its strong points? How are the characters, story and atmosphere? And what game could you compare it to?

Also did you try out their new game Bound by Flame?

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By HH

i struggle to see how the witcher is an rpg, it looks like one but to me it's an action game.

to me an rpg means designing a character and choosing a role to play. the witcher has upgrade paths sure, but so does far cry 3, and if they're a bit more in depth, it's still not enough input from the player to amount to roleplay. basically i feel mostly irrelevant to the experience when i'm playing.

i don't expect the consensus to change on this, i'm just saying - rpg's are popular but so is voice-acting and characterization, and the more you lean in one direction the less grounding you have in the other.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:
  1. Valkyria Chronicles (does this count as Strategy or an RPG?)

This is a good question.

Can some of you guys help out defining this game? Similarly, what would Fire Emblem: Awakening be? It's a tactical game for sure. But if you don't level up your guys you can have the best tactics in the world and be destroyed anyway.

We also still need to define Binding of Isaac.

Thoughts?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

@slag said:

This is a good question.

Can some of you guys help out defining this game? Similarly, what would Fire Emblem: Awakening be? It's a tactical game for sure. But if you don't level up your guys you can have the best tactics in the world and be destroyed anyway.

Thoughts?

I changed my list BTW, I swapped out Isaac for Deus Ex 3.

I'm wondering though, if Valkyria Chronicles is an RPG, is XCOM?

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By HH

i'd say Valkyria is more strategy, a lot of the time in battles you're forced to substitute characters who get injured, making party design peripheral. and doesn't xcom have more options and paths for its troops?

haven't played fire emblem. but i'd suggest dragon age origins counts as both rpg and strategy, even though there is a difficulty level there which allows you to not deal with the strategic element, at its core it's all about tactics and positioning.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: Yeah, this is where the lines in genre's get very, very blurry. It's undeniable to say that XCOM has RPG elements. At its roots it is clearly a tactical/strategy game though. That is where the main gameplay revolves around. Also, you can complete it without leveling any of your guys (though most people wouldn't be able to do that I guess).

I do not have any experience with Valkyria Chronicles, so I'm leaving that one for others to decide.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@zevvion said:

@slag said:

This is a good question.

Thoughts?

Well my inclination is that it is Strategy first same with Fire Emblem, XCOM etc, but I saw another user put it in his list so I figured if it was being counted as an RPG it would be in my top 3.

But then again I also think Borderlands is more FPS than RPG too.

Binding of Isaac imo is whatever Legend of Zelda is, either a RPG or an Action-Adventure depending on which camp you are in. Personally I'd call it an AA for simplicity sake.

like a lot of things it comes down to how you define it. These rarely is any one game that is just one thing these days.

For me I look at what the primary action the player engages with in the game most often which is usually the combat system

In Valkyria Chronicles you mainly deploy troops on a grid (albeit from a thrid person perspective) like chess pieces and win large drawn out fights to advance the narrative. There is menu driven combat once the player moves his "piece", but the game is won or lost around tactical positioning. Once in base you can level people up etc. That to me is Strategy first, RPG second.

Borderlands is a game where you shoot many many things as you explore a large open world, but also find loot and level up your character. To me that's a particular type of shooter that has heavy RPG elements but at the end of the day the combat is purely a FPS. On the wiki I think they are called Role Playing Shooters. But I don't know how accepted the definition is.

At least with Zelda I figured the main activity in the game is environmental puzzle solving combined with light combat puzzles. Binding of Isaac seems to aheva greater focus on shooting but I figure it's more similar to whatever Zelda is more than a Final Fantasy or Dragon Age.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, wasn't there a game of the generation tournament already? I recall Mass Effect 2 beating Dark Souls in the finals.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, wasn't there a game of the generation tournament already? I recall Mass Effect 2 beating Dark Souls in the finals.

Yeah, I missed that one. But we can still do the genre stuff, which is very interesting. Although a bit hard to as it turns out. But we'll manage I'm sure.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#93  Edited By frymillstrum

1. Fallout 3

2. Dark Souls

3. Mass Effect 2

neilg543

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Fallout 3

2. Demon's Souls

3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Dark Souls

2. ME2

3. Dragon A O

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Zevvion

Only 2-ish hours left bro's. I'll start counting and editing the thread then.

chatmonchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

1. Dark Souls
2. Tales of Vesperia
3. Valkyria Chronices if it counts (imo it belongs with Strategy more than RPG); otherwise, Demon's Souls

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you know i see alot of dark souls picks and while i agree its one of the best games in the genre,i think dark souls 2 is better in almost everyway possible.i would vote for it but it wont go far since everyone is saying dark souls which i find really funny because i just dont see how its better.but anyway since i love dark souls still and i know the second wont get in ill vote for the original.

1.dark souls

2.rogue galaxy

3.fallout new vegas

Avatar image for christopherson329
christopherson329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 3 Portable

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thread updated.

The three most mentioned games were Dark Souls, Mass Effect 2 and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Select which one of these is the best of the three (see updated OP).