Gamefly (Netflix for games): Is it worth it for PS3 games?

iPhone_Tyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By iPhone_Tyler
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Sambambo

Im on a similar service in the UK, and hell yes it is worth it. I get about £150 worth of games a month for £20

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By immike

I chose the 1 game at a time option, because the shipping is great so you can just try a game, then ship it back and get the next one in a couple of days. You get your money's worth in just a couple of games. Try it out.

DieselCat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By DieselCat18

I have been using Netflix for about 6 months now. Started with the 1 movie package then up graded to the 2 movie package a short while ago. The guy that came up with this idea is a genius !!! ....and I don't see why this same concept wouldn't work for gaming titles. If this works the same way as Netflix.... You rent it, keep it for as long as you want with no late fees then return the title to receive your next one listed in  your  game queue and have it delivered with in several days (Netflix is usually a one day turn a round) . You are able to place orders for as many games each month as fast as you are able to finish playing then send back for another...all  for one monthly fee which should come out cheaper than just renting one title at a time from some local outlet....... 

*+    
RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By RobotHamster

My friend told me that the whole turn around process takes him about 6 days, which seems like a pretty long wait.  i thinks its because of the area I'm in and the time it takes to ship it from the factory, but I've been interested in trying it out.

JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JoeyIA

Depends on where you live.  I live in the Midwest, so I usually get games from the PA center but sometimes Texas.  I usually get stuff from Pennsylvania in like 4 days but the stuff from Texas has taken well over a week (my longest wait was 11 days).  I've been told from people on both coasts that they usually have a 3 day turnaround.  So for me the 2 game plan is a must, that way I can be playing 1 game while the other is in the mail.  Also, the longer you're a member & in good standing the more games you can rent, i.e. 3 games out or 4 games out...
Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Andorski

Check to see if they have a shipping center where you live.  I am around 45 minutes away from the L.A. shipping center and it takes me 3 business days at the most for me to receive my games.  They also have it set so that when the USPS receives your game, Gamefly will immediately send your next game.  It helps to cut down on the wait times between games.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By septim

I had Gamefly. The turnaround time was about 4-7 days. Not outrageous but not nearly Netflix level either. I have a Blockbuster within two minutes and with their all access thing I can swap out and play all the new games. My BB is pretty good about stocking the new games day and date (better than my local Wal Mart at least). 

I've heard Gamefly gets less impressive the longer you've been a member. They send the hottest games to new subs first, so I figured the service was already mediocre and if its just downhill from here I may as well cancel now.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By sopranosfan

When I first got Gamefly I loved it but I canceled because I never got any new releases any earlier than at least 2 months and for the popular ones my experiences were closer to 3-4 months and the turnaround in general was about 5-7 days.  I was on the one at a time plan and figure if it took me a week to play and a week to ship and get a new one I would play on average 2-3 games a month and they were rarely (if ever) new or I could rent 2-3 a month from Family video for about $14-20 and have had a lot better luck getting newer games.  I prefer to just rent from local store but somebody is getting new games somewhere so maybe your experiences will be better than mine. 

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By frankxiv

i do 1 game at a time and everything is fine. they used to have godawful return times on ps3 games, but now most of the ones i've rented seem to have fast return.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Doctorchimp

I used to do 2 games at a time and it really was nice. If you just want play what everyone else is playing when that game comes out and get through it without shelling out the 60 every time.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hatking

When I first started I was doing the 2 games thing(which is great), but due to money issues I've had to cut back on things and now I'm on a 1 game plan.  The two game setup is great because you can have it working where you'll never be without a new game to play.  The one game setup is alright but I find myself going a week without a game, sometimes longer.  I'm thinking I'm going to switch back to the two game plan here as things are starting to come back together for me finacially.
Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Doctorchimp
@HatKing said:

" When I first started I was doing the 2 games thing(which is great), but due to money issues I've had to cut back on things and now I'm on a 1 game plan.  The two game setup is great because you can have it working where you'll never be without a new game to play.  The one game setup is alright but I find myself going a week without a game, sometimes longer.  I'm thinking I'm going to switch back to the two game plan here as things are starting to come back together for me finacially. "

That reminds me of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV5hEBqYfTE
Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Spike94
@JoeyIA said:
"Depends on where you live.  I live in the Midwest, so I usually get games from the PA center but sometimes Texas.  I usually get stuff from Pennsylvania in like 4 days but the stuff from Texas has taken well over a week (my longest wait was 11 days).  I've been told from people on both coasts that they usually have a 3 day turnaround.  So for me the 2 game plan is a must, that way I can be playing 1 game while the other is in the mail.  Also, the longer you're a member & in good standing the more games you can rent, i.e. 3 games out or 4 games out... "

Thank you, sir. This information is extremely helpful to me. I too live in the Midwest.
bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bhhawks78

So much cheaper than buying stuff you want to play that has zero replayability.

Games I would have bought the  last few months if it wasn't for gamefly 
Not to mention all the non new games/not worth 60$ games I played
Assasin's creed 2 (no interest in collecting)
Uncharted 2 (I think the shooting is still too awful to make MP fun)
Brutal Legend (ending up hating it)
Batman (no interest in collecting)\
Dante's Inferno (didn't finish hated the puzzles)

Rogue Warrior (was a fun 3 hours but never going back to it)
Saw (awful)
Saboteur (Awesome but again not a collector)
L4Dead2 (hated it, just like the first awful alone but probably great with friends)

Cocytus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cocytus

It's definitely worth it for me. They have a distribution center in my city, and I get games a day after they've shipped. Excellent service.

iPhone_Tyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By iPhone_Tyler

Good feedback everyone! Thanks!

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By CastroCasper

It really all depends on where you live but I would go with the one game out at a time and see how you like it. Also, if you want to play the newest games go to blockbuster or something, gamefly is really only good for older and moderately older games. Also when it tells you to make a list with most important first, thats BS, the past few times I have the very last games on my list sent out.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By benjaebe

As most others have already said, it's mostly dependent on where you live. It's really good for catching up on older titles, but newer ones can be really hard to get. They also have really good deals on used games that you can buy from them.

Avatar image for pnut_buttr_panda
PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda

my roommate uses the 1 game at a time account type and it seems to be worth it. its cheaper that buying any game each month and if you want to keep the game forever they will sell it to you at a used price and mail you the games case and booklets. the only pitfall is that very popular games may take a while to get because people tend to hang onto them longer before returning them to the next person on the list.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Doctorchimp
@PNut_Buttr_Panda said:
" my roommate uses the 1 game at a time account type and it seems to be worth it. its cheaper that buying any game each month and if you want to keep the game forever they will sell it to you at a used price and mail you the games case and booklets. the only pitfall is that very popular games may take a while to get because people tend to hang onto them longer before returning them to the next person on the list. "
As long as that's the only game on your queue you'll get it, and if you want it on release just mail in your game and clear your queue for that one game 2 days beforehand and you'll get it. The amount of games they have is unreal.
vendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22  Edited By vendetta

I have the two games at a time deal, and I've been subscribed for just over a year.

Every once in a while I have a problem with them saying that they haven't received the games I've sent back. One quick e-mail usually fixes it. It's not as consistent or quick as Netflix but still worth it IMO.