Games massively lack ethnic and gender diversity, discuss!

• 74 results
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#51  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@KaosAngel said:
" @Gargantuan said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" Why we ain't got no Arab heroes? "
Isn't Altaïr an arab? "
I stand corrected, forgot about him. "
oh yeah right! how could we forget assassin's creed.. you gotta give that game credit for having foreign heroes 

although Altair and Ezio are both young fit beardless white males with dark short hair :P atleast they're foreign in nationality 
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By BraveToaster

I play games to entertain myself, I don't worry about the race or gender of the character I'm using. I encourage everyone else not to give a shit as well.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By LiquidPrince
@Gargantuan said:
" The Limbo dude is black. "
For some reason this cracked me up XD
Khantael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#54  Edited By Khantael

I think it's partially a demographic thing. They assume it'll sell more - and whether it would make a difference is difficult to tell as nobody has really tried and tested it any other way. That, or it's assumed a "default" person is white (or Asian for Asian games, which can come across as looking like white) for whatever reason (I'd guess it's to do with the ethnic majority of the country the developers are from, but that's a guess).

I think ethnic minorities and women in games also tend to be shoehorned into being rather stereotypical. Heck, you get it in voice casting (or film casting) sometimes. Is a character a drunkard? What's the likelihood they'll be cast as being Irish? They are less characters in their own right and more of a representation, if that makes sense, and not necessarily an accurate one. It's an assumption on the part of the developers. 

I see it a lot with women in games. There are plenty of women in games who are there to look sexy and sell copies. They don't have a character beyond that, or beyond being a love interest or whatever. It's pretty sad really as far as I'm concerned. As a girl, I've yet to see a woman in a videogame I've been able to relate to - yet I have with a few male characters. Funny, that.  

As for women... how many women older than in the mid twenties do you see in games? Not many. 

kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By kelbear
@tardcast: 

White is essentially "normal".  Everything else is ethnic.  

It's the most common in most forms of media, and unless bucking the trend helps in some way, there's no sense in breaking it.

They want to sell the product so they have to cater to the widest audience possible, and using the most generic protagonist possible is one of their methods of helping the player identify with them. Hell, how many of anime's characters are even Japanese FFS? Black hair is in the minority there as well, even when the show is set in Japan.
jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By jorbear

It's kinda Western Culture. Yes, it is a demographic issue as well, but in Western Culture, the hero is almost always tall, fair-skinned, and has brown hair.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By cookiemonster

I didn't realise its that important, and to be honest, I don't give a shit either.

Lab392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Lab392

It comes down to the fact that there are more white males making games than anyone else in the Western games industry. People tend to create characters who they can identify with.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Gaff
@ChristOnIce:  

True story, either questions I've overheard or have been asked directly: 
"So, what did you guys think of 9/11?" - Lunch Room, until then, friendly conversation between Muslim and non-Muslim co-workers. 
"So, what did you think of TianAnMen?" - Question to me, somewhere at probably the weirdest moment to be asking it. 

Probably the worst thing you can do to someone is to take away someone's individuality and make him or her accountable for whatever crime, misdemeanor, or insult another member of his or her sub-group of society or human race has commited. Ever. 

"Well, man, you white folk, you enslaved people!" "You Christians killed exponentially more people in the Crusades, why do you blame us Muslims!?" "Well, you're black, so you must support Obama, right?" 

Whatever Spike Lee (or fill in whatever "Black American films" maker you can think of) might think about the situation of African Americans or taking their interpretation of "Black culture" as gospel, it still is Spike Lee's opinion and not necessarily representative of the African American community's opinions as a whole. Just as much as Scorsese's movies aren't an accurate depiction of Italian American culture or Michael Moore / Bill O'Reilly doesn't speak for every white American. Demanding compensation and apologies from a nation that committed war crimes is one thing, but expecting each and every (involuntary) member to basically kowtow and 'fess up to crimes not commited by them, shoulder the burden of guilt or accountability for something you're in no legally binding way related to? 

Don't make blanket statements (yo, Ad Hominems!) like that. People invoke faulty logic, make wrong deductions, overgeneralise? Attack them on that. Don't bloody deduce someone's opinions or stances on their "probable" skin colour. 

Last note: God dammit, who didn't get thier Cliff notes? You don't discuss race, religion or politics on the internet!
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ryanwho
@ChristOnIce said:
" @ryanwho:   It is certainly a self-perpetuating problem.  However, I don't see why it should be incumbent upon the generally white artist to initiate change.  Why should they trade their artistic integrity and preference to suit future potential developers?  It may not sound sensitive, but I think that the diversity will change (slightly) when a sufficient number of minorities get over it and enter the field.  If they dismiss it as a "white people job," then it's their damned problem.    Look at the makeup of a university, and then look at the science, mathematics, and design programs.  There's clearly a substantially lower interest among women and minorities in these fields.  As such, game development will continue to be a white male field.  This won't be solved by trying to force diversity where there is none.  It has to happen on its own.  Furthermore, while minorities have more cohesive tastes in most art that set them slightly apart from whites, this doesn't really hold for video games.  Publishers and developers lose nothing by writing what they choose to.  Forcing a minority lead isn't going to increase sales. "
Im not saying force diversity so much as build infrastructure. Im not saying "force people to work in indian characters until the world is okay with it" so much as saying "big companies should attempt to form development teams in places like India, and let Indians make games for Indians that will tangentially be shared with the rest of the world (even if they're only made for India)". I don't want you to think I'm saying white guilt should once again take initiative and "save the world" or anything, I think bigger publishers could attempt to expand their horizons when it comes to who they're making games for and a good way to do that is attempting to go to various developed countries and form teams there. An after effect of Brazilians making games for Brazil, Indians for India, etc. is having more countries making games for themselves that get shared with the world. As opposed to forcing some company in Canada to guess what a game made inclusive for everyone in the world would look like. As it is, you have Japanese games, and Western games, with Korea and East Europe/Russia slowly carving their own identities. I think if a publisher decided to try and get, say, 5 more big countries into the mix it would change the landscape of what a game hero should look or act like. And if the markets became big enough, suddenly American companies are interested in that market in Brazil and that market in India and their heroes get a little darker.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#61  Edited By ajamafalous
@Axxol said:

" I play games to entertain myself, I don't worry about the race or gender of the character I'm using. I encourage everyone else not to give a shit as well. "

@CookieMonster said:

" I didn't realise its that important, and to be honest, I don't give a shit either. "

Both of these.
Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Gaff
@ChristOnIce:

This becomes clearer when you consider non-white art in western society.  Quite often, it's incredibly ethnocentric.  As whites lack so cohesive a racial identity, few books, films, games, etc. that feature white characters revolve around race.  Black American films seems quite wrapped up in their being black, which doesn't exactly have mass appeal.  Same goes for Hispanics, though to a lesser degree.  Women are often in the same boat.   

Besides the in my opinion quite appalling notion that Hispanic cinema is less "wrapped up in their being black (for parity's sake, let's fill in Hispanic" - Oh, Christ, Madre de Mio, that is one hell of a slippery slope you're on now - the logical fallacy is: 
  • As Whites lack a racial identity;
  • Therefore media featuring leading white protagonists are lacking in a racial identity, and therefore racially "neutral";

Minorities have a more homogeneous culture, and they frequently have stronger ties to that culture.  To write a black character and ignore that is often criticized and seen as inappropriate (which I disagree with, but what can you do?).  Centering a game around "black" culture can often scale back the target audience significantly, and such games tend to 1) suck and 2) be very similar.  About six or seven years ago, it seemed that every other game was some nonsense about gang shitheads with "nigger this" and "nigger that" supplanting dialogue.  Of course "black" culture goes beyond this, but when it comes to a fun game, shooting cops will always have more draw than the other aspects.   

Let's ignore the cultural attributes of a minority and attribute it to the racial attributes of a minority. Excuse me while I say hello to my good friend the Categorical Mistake. 

I'm back. 

I think we can both agree that casting an Asian character who only washes clothes, or a black character who only serves their white "Massa's" is wrong. I think that where we diverge is where caricaturization ends and reality begins. WHITE BOYS CAN'T JUMP, RIGHT~! AIN'T GOT NO RHYTHM AND ALL THAT JAZZ!  

American whites have no distinct culture, so there's a much greater level of freedom.

Familiarity breeds contempt, remember?  

Also, many organized minority groups have ridiculous notions of what should be done 

The Confucian system, sure. African American, Hispanics? I'll have to get back to you on that, because I'm not a member of those groups and concomitantly have no bloody idea of what the norm is.  

Many groups expect minorities to play bigger roles in art, and they demand that the overwhelmingly white artists make this happen.  If they write a "normal" character just make them black, they'll face criticism for failing to incorporate black culture.  The character is often seen as suggesting that blacks have to "act white" to be accepted.  If they write with "black" culture in mind, then they run other risks.  Not often being a part of that culture, the writing might suffer, and they might end up with a minstrel show.  While these unreasonable advocacy groups do not represent the opinions of all minorities, they are enough of a pain in the ass to have a chilling effect. 

So, basically: writing about something you have no idea or logical sense about, leads to criticism? Wait, what?
Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The majority of people making games are white or asian and male.

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#64  Edited By Arbie

Hamz pic is awesome lol.

I kind of don't care. I'm playing the characters story not mine. Their gender/race is nothing to me. Being able to customize a character is a nice bonus though!

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By HellBrendy

To, me best female character to this day is the white wolf Amaterasu from Okami.  

Strong, powerfull and kind. All without the useless tits and machoness most girls in games have. 

Also, Alyx Vance. Brains and guts - and a sense of humour. 

JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#66  Edited By JazzyJeff

This website is run by white men in their 30's. It needs diversity.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#67  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Does it really matter? Would racial minorities be portrayed in a non-stereotypical way if there were more of them in video games? (hint: no) Somehow, I think that would make the political correctness people more crazy than the absence thereof.

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Damien

An internet argument is nothing until the terms ad hominid, strawman, and slippery slope are thrown around.

_Nuno_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#69  Edited By _Nuno_
@Prolix said:

" Glad to see it.  Last thing I want to watch for 10 hours, is the back of a black guys head or the ass of a fat plaid wearing bull dyke.    Not to mention how Italians, Irish, Russian and all other European immigrants are treating in modern movies and games.  They are no more "White," than I am an albino crab cake.  Your retarded is you think a Russian mobster is "white" or an Italian American is corn bread.    Just ask Scorsese.  The fact that you agree and give out sweeping generalizations on white people, only proves your ignorance and racist patterns.     Grow Up Giant Bomb and 4/10 to OP for taking advantage of this sites impulsive and ignorant nature.    Anyone else care to cherry pick? "

Man... This is... Man...
Thank you for sharing your wisdom with all of us. We will try to please you in future discussion topics.
On behalf of the the whole GB community let me deliver to you our sincerest apologies for our ignorance.

PS: You don't say "Your retarded is you think..."
That's kinda ignorant... And no, english isn't my mother tongue.
BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70  Edited By BabyChooChoo
@Damien said:
" An internet argument is nothing until the terms ad hominid, strawman, and slippery slope are thrown around. "

No Caption Provided
Mosshammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Mosshammer

It isnt just games MOST media is minimally representative.

Ever think about gay characters? what do we got, That dude from MGS, and the horrible fucking guy from enchanted arms.  Great . 

At least women have Lighting and Jade from Beyond good and Evil. (which need to be duplicated)

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#72  Edited By rjaylee
@Axxol said:

" I play games to entertain myself, I don't worry about the race or gender of the character I'm using. I encourage everyone else not to give a shit as well. "

@CookieMonster said:

" I didn't realise its that important, and to be honest, I don't give a shit either. "

As much as I agree that it really shouldn't be something that we should care about (especially in older age demographics), I think it's something worth considering and discussing about for younger demographics.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#73  Edited By Brendan

I believe the simplest answer to this is the same one that answers why so many white people play Polo or Tennis or Golf.  Playing videogames is basically a hobby for wealthy people (and I don't mean wealthy in the Beverly Hills sense, in a worldly sense).  TV's and consoles and expensive videogames cost a ton of money for what is just a form of entertainment (and a hobby for some).  The demographic that makes up white people is generally the most wealthy, and can afford the habit.  Therefore, videogames are developed primarily by the target demographic for the target demographic. 
Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#74  Edited By Catolf
@Mosshammer said:
" It isnt just games MOST media is minimally representative. Ever think about gay characters? what do we got, That dude from MGS, and the horrible fucking guy from enchanted arms.  Great .   At least women have Lighting and Jade from Beyond good and Evil. (which need to be duplicated) "
You have a valid point, there is more pro-women, pro-black ect.. but no honestly awesome gay man (or woman) representing.