Games Of The Generation?

OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I know its been brought up before on the bombcast and they've talked about it before, but I was wondering what the GB community's games of the generation are? For me a few off the top of my head.

1. Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts

2. Bioshock (or Bioshock Infinite, can't decide)

3. L.A Noire

4. Super Meat Boy

5. Super Mario Galaxy

6. Uncharted 3

7. Enslaved Odyssey To The West (pretty underrated I think)

8. Burnout Paradise

9. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

10. Pacman Championship Edition DX. (Tied with GTA 5)

Anyway I think it'd be pretty interesting to heard what you guys think! :D

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Looks like you mean last generation right? Not sure if 3ds games that came out years prior to the Ps4 and One count or not since Nintendo is on its own hardware schedule, but mine would be

1. Mass Effect 2

2. Civilization V

3. Dragon Age Origins

4. Fire Emblem Awakening

5. Dark Souls

6. Witcher 2

7. Sleeping Dogs

8. DmC Devil May Cry

9. Bioshock Infinite

10. Starcraft 2 WoL/HotS

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

There was an entire series of polls and threads 3 years ago when this discussion was actually relevant. We're moved well past that generation at this point and the conversation has been thoroughly exhausted in the past.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Witcher 2, Metro 2033, Victoria 2, and Skate as a series. I guess Dota 2 and CSGO but they're the kinda games that have super long lifespans so they're just as current as your current console new generation stuff.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wii Sports.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By liquiddragon

this is what the community thinks though maybe opinions have changed.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By TobbRobb

We are just going by games I personally liked the most this generation right? Not a general list?

In no order I have a few that stuck out immediately.

• Journey
  • Bayonetta
  • Dark Souls

And then after that I'd have to start thinking a lot harder. Just purely in time invested, it's hard for me to argue against either Dota or League. I've sunk more life into those games than just about anything else. Fallout: New Vegas is probably up there, and so is Valkyria Chronicles. Red Dead Redemtion and Trials: Evolution too. Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 are games that have had their ups and downs, but at either peak they were amazing. And now since I edited out not last gen Witcher 3, I'd also call attention to the original Witcher instead, flawed as it may be.

I've spent a lot of time with SF4 (700 odd hours) in the past two years, but that wasn't during the generation and I don't quite yet know how I land on the quality of fighting games. But that would be the defining one for last generation no matter what I think, no?

EDIT: I realised I derped and had current gen games on there. Bloodborne and Witcher 3 are great games though. :(((((

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyrim

GTA V

Ni no Kuni

Yakuza 5

mankvill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mankvill

I feel like for the last generation, it has to be The Last of Us.

Nulix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its Red Dead Redemption.

Beyond_Recall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GB needs to place a moratorium on the phrase "Game of the Generation." I'm so tired of spending several minutes listening to Jeff and Brad regurgitate the same nebulous nominations for their respective pet picks (Burnout Paradise and Geometry Wars) every time it gets said. If the concept is never gonna take a more meaningful form than that, I don't wanna hear about it.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Modern Warfare and CoD BLOPS have to be up there since they set the world on fire for a good year or two. Skyrim, GTA 4, GTA 5, Uncharted 2, Fallout New Vegas, Assasin's Creed 2, Dark Souls... That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

There was an entire series of polls and threads 3 years ago when this discussion was actually relevant. We're moved well past that generation at this point and the conversation has been thoroughly exhausted in the past.

Not only that, but threads like these where you just list your top ten whatever and provide no reasoning or context is pretty lame. Who wants to read a thread comprised of game titles?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. not burnout paradise

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Shit, I completely forgot about that thing. Weird.

Especially weird, given that ME2 isn't even the best Mass Effect.

I can point to that thread as the exact moment I first entertained the scantest idea of playing Dark Souls. Before I'd simply considered it this weird, very Japanese obscurity only Vinny and a handful of others enjoyed for the novelty of it. Seeing nearly half the community rally around it with such fervor made me think I was really missing something.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sravankb

1. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Not counting 4U or Gen cause these came out after the current gen started)

2. Kingdom of Paradise (PSP)

3. Race Driver: Grid (Easily the best racing game ever made)

4. Skyrim (Especially on a good PC)

5. Picross 3D (DS)

6. Halo 4 (Yes, better than 3)

7. Mass Effect 2 (If I was trying to be objective, this would be at the top. But this is a top 10 list).

8. Halo 3 ODST (The music alone puts this in my top 10).

9. Portal 1

10. Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005 - this came out on the 360 as well as the last gen consoles).

And hell, even if I wanted to put a Burnout game up here, it'd be Burnout Revenge (360). Yes, this is infinitely better than Paradise. Fight me.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I'm not going to make a top ten list or anything like that, partially because it's way late at night for me and partially because this idea was discussed to death a few years ago...

...but Skyrim is easily my favorite game of last generation. You could teach a class on all the things it does wrong, sure, but the aesthetic that game has going on can still capture me for hours to this day.

Halo 3 was probably the other most important game of last generation to me. Skyrim was the game I played in college to release stress and just lose myself somewhere completely different, while Halo 3's campaign and multiplayer and fucking around in Forge mode were what I played with friends in high school. I came home and did that pretty much every day for all of 2008.

Mass Effect 2 is easily the best of the Mass Effect series for me, though I have yet to replay the third game.

I didn't get into Dark Souls until 2 came out, and even then I didn't really play the first one until months after finishing 2, sometime in 2015, so that series isn't something I think about when I think about last generation games.

After that, things start to get a bit hazy. There are a lot of fantastic games from last generation but none that really affected me quite so much as the above mentioned. Bioshock, The Last of Us, Sleeping Dogs, GTA V, the other Halo games, Deus Ex Human Revolution, I could keep going, but none of those games stick out in my memory as much as Skyrim, Mass Effect 2, and Halo 3 have this long after those games released.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c295850623f7
deactivated-5c295850623f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyrim.

... Proteus.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rebel_scum: yeah, threads of just top 10 lists kinda suck. And a top ten list with explanation will probably be too long to bother reading.

Maybe top 10 lists just suck in general.

Also best game was Portal 2.

madladunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncharted 3 should be nowhere near a top-ten list for the last generation. That pointless filler 2 hours with the pirate is outright bad and a fifth of the game.

It's like if Red Dead Redemption had a whole section of the story that most people didn't like that went on for hours....like, imagine if you went to Mexico for a while and the plot got really stupid....

Hmmm, I don't like videogames.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here are my nominees -

Red Dead Redemption

Dark Souls

Skyrim

The Last of Us

Super Mario Galaxy

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have a list but off the top of my head I'd probably say Skyrim was the game of the generation. I don't think I put more time into any other game

One of the best video game worlds ever created. Even though the main quests weren't as good as past TES games I think the environmental storytelling and the small stories you stumble upon in dungeons were fantastic. The combat isn't great but mods can make it a lot better. The archery is awesome though.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By BoOzak

It's not my favourite game of the last generation (although it was my GOTY) but i'd say Skyrim, it sold reallly well, got great reviews, people still play it and like to complain about it. I dont think any other game of last generation is as relevant today as Skyrim is.

Personal GOTG is probably Metal Gear Rising, it's not the best game Platinum have made (Bayonetta is better and Bayonetta 2 is a lot better) But that game just aligned with so many things I enjoy. It's a game that has no right being as good as it is and a lot of people (die hard MGS fans and Mr. Kojima himself) shit on it for no good reason, but I love it.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Uncharted 2 - The apex of the series IMO.
Mass effect - Best one in the series, other's would've won if they actually kept more of the rpg mechanics
Saints Row: The third - Felt like you could do anything, and made me giggle quite often
Skyrim - "You see that mountain over there? You can go there"
GTA V - Stood between IV and V, this one was more polished all over. One of the few games i've bought on three different platforms, and finished them on all of them.
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood - Apex in the AC series to this date, next contender is Black Flag. Wish they would focus more on the town building/tower take over in the subsequent games.
Just Cause 2 - I know I'll be one of the few on this, but this was my podcast game of last gen. Just get in, destroy a couple of bases and soar the skies. Braindead fun.
Gears of War - First game that made me realize how important co-op is, and that games of this caliber don't need a longer campaign than this if it's this well made.
Flower - Such a conversation starter among gamers, wether you like it or not.
Super Mario Galaxy - Just fun in its purest form. Like MDMA in game form. Everything is purposely put there to give you a sugar rush.
Call of Duty: 4 - Set a new standard for AAA games when it came out, not just for FPSs.
Battlefield 3 - Built on Call of Dutys set standard, and just did everything right and far above it.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#28  Edited By isomeri

I mean, Mass Effect 2. Right?!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

in no order

Mirrors Edge original

Dead Space

Bad Company 2 BF2 is better though and still the best

Mass Effect 2

GTA4 5 is better but GTA4 was a great start

Skyrim

Max Payne 3

Sleeping Dogs

Saint row the third

Spec ops the line a military shooter that's not a dude bro shooter

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the Last of Us

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#31 sweep  Moderator

You've gotta distinguish between games that you likeand game that are important. Because Wii sports isn't going to be top of anyone's favourite games list, but it was important to the last generation in a cultural sense.

It's the Last of Us

It really is.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Witcher 2, MGS 4 or Mass Effect (either 1 or 2)

Either of those and I'm a happy camper

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't have a list but I know Last of Us would be my number one and, while I enjoyed Red Dead, it probably wouldn't make top 10.

ColossalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ColossalGhost

Dark Souls tops the list by a country mile. With the honorable mentions, in no particular order, going to Red Dead Redemption, Burnout Paradise and Mirror's Edge. Also, a special mention to the most important game of the last generation, Minecraft.

Avatar image for zimzamfromspace
zimzamfromspace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Bioshock
  2. Burnout Paradise
  3. Street Fighter IV
  4. Fallout New Vegas
  5. Super Meat Boy
  6. Battleblock Theater
  7. XCOM Enemy Unknown
  8. Pokemon Diamond & Pearl
  9. Batman Arkham Asylum
  10. Portal 2

Shout outs to Stick of Truth, Dark Souls, Patapon, N+ (PSP Version), Halo Reach, Mirror's Edge and Black Ops.

Also, do games that also came out on current gen count? Such as Diablo 3's console version as it was on both gens, or GTA V which was later ported up a gen?

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon said:

this is what the community thinks though maybe opinions have changed.

That is a pretty good list. I endorse it... Also, reading it makes me realize the PS3/360 generation was actually really, really good.

Also, almost any of the games in the game of the generation bracket is recommendable...

Gigabomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Gigabomber

It's a more interesting conversation to discuss why some people think that FO3 is better than New Vegas and the Last of Us is better than Uncharted 2.

Also, for me, how easy and enjoyable a game is to play currently is important. Burnout Paradise and Just Cause 2 have some real rough edges that stand out nowadays whereas xcom doesn't.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me, when you're talking about Games of the Generation you really have to look at their influence. I don't generally consider an award like that something for merely my favourite games in a certain period.

So with that in mind, there are only a few candidates I can even begin to consider.

Generation 7 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventh_generation_of_video_game_consoles): CoD4: Modern Warfare, Minecraft, Dark Souls, Wii Sports, Assassin's Creed 2, etc.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SO what is interesting is maybe my choices after the top 10. All the top 10 are games people know are great (Bioshock, Journey etc) where as this is stuff that is less objectively amazing and more personal choices. Imperfect games that left one hell of an impression. (in no order)

• Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
  • BLUR
  • Warhammer 40K: SPACE MARINE
  • Alan Wake
  • Skate
  • 'Splosion Man
  • Binary Domain
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Bayonetta
  • Vanquish
  • The Darkness
  • PGR4
  • CRACKDOWN
  • Saints Row 3
  • Nier
  • Far Cry 2
  • Dead Space
  • Dirt 3

I fuckin' LOVE these games. Warts and all.

(Thanks for letting me list things)