Games with movement that feels really good

• 111 results
notkcots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just played the demo for Seum: Speedrunners from Hell after watching the QL, and I was really impressed with how good all the movement and platforming felt. As Jeff pointed out, the basic sense of speed and jump distance feels like Quake, but even the different powerups you find (like flying and teleporting) are all really enjoyable to use. This got me thinking about other games where just moving around the environment is inherently pleasurable.

• Spiderman 2 is a classic in this regard. Overall it's actually kind of a rotten game; the combat is simultaneously simplistic and quite frustrating, and most of the mission design is garbage (especially the indoor sections). Still, Treyarch nailed the web swinging mechanics perfectly. It's actually remarkable how good it still feels, considering this was the first time any developer had tried to actually tether the webs to physical terrain, as opposed to just having them descend from the sky.
  • As anyone who's played it knows, despite all of the super-powered shootouts and gang takedowns, the most compelling part of Crackdown is, improbably enough, collecting static green orbs scattered throughout the city. If you haven't played it, I know it sounds like the worst kind of open-world filler content, but just trust us: it's really, really captivating. This is, of course, due to how good the movement feels in Crackdown. Being able to jump 30-50 feet at a time and run at superspeed does a whole lot to liven up an otherwise generic open world.
  • Special shout-out to Just Cause 1/2/3 for popularizing the grappling hook as a mechanic. I actually think the on-foot movement in this series feels weirdly stiff, but the actual parachute grappling works like a dream.

So what are some other games that are fun to just move around in? I was so desperate for more of this sort of thing that I actually bought Bionic Commando, but I encountered a driver error which causes it to crash at startup. Perhaps I was lucky. And does anyone have any impressions of Windlands? It looked interesting when the GB crew played it during the Oculus launch, but they seemed to really struggle with the controls.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By bigsocrates

Sunset Overdrive had movement that felt amazing. It was so much fun just to explore the city and grab collectibles because of how good the movement felt in that game.

I'd also include the Tony Hawk games in this, though they're a little bit different kind of game, but man does navigating the environment feel great in those games.

Finally I'd say Titanfall. Wall running, double jumping, rodeoing titans, it all felt just perfect.

P.S. Shout out to the 2D Mario games.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I'd say Fotonica. It only uses one button, but perfectly timing jumps and increasing your speed feels amazing.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By DharmaBum

Gears of War 3 (and presumably 4) for fluid third-person movement and cover mechanics.

Mirror's Edge and Titanfall for first-person parkour.

Halo 5's movement mechanics (thruster, clamber, slide etc.) are probably the best thing 343 has done for the series.

Sunset Overdrive is a joy to move around in once you unlock the air dash and realize you never have to touch the ground.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

All three of the Infamous games have fantastic movement through an open world city. Second Son may be the best of the three because you have more varied abilities at your disposal, but they're all great.

JamMasterMango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JamMasterMango

Mark of the Ninja's flawless control scheme was enough for me to 100% that game. And I don't 100% often.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was going to come in here and say spiderman, i found crackdowns movement to be pretty bad until you get most the upgrades.

I would add the old hulk games and the prototype games felt really good just running up the side of building etc. Saints Row 4 had this as well.

Infamous had some good movement as well, a little floaty but it fit with the powers and gameplay style.

Titanfall 1 did first person parkour extremely well, don't think i've seen better yet (including the second, so far anyway)

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Spelunky has perfect 2D movement. So much that it's really messed with me when trying to play anything else. Pixel-perfect precision, with just the right mechanics and pace to make it super fun to run around.

3D, Shadow of Mordor stuck out to me because of how intuitive it all felt. You have a ton of options and all of them are fun to pull off.

And as far as FPS, I'm surprised how great Halo 5 feels with that extra thruster boost.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

This is a very tired answer, but, Super Mario 64.

I can still feel the pull when you quickly turn Mario around and there is that squeak and puff of dust.

Metal Gear Solid V is probably the best, most recent example I can think of.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By TheHT
  • Super Mario 64
  • Demon's Souls
  • Dark Souls 1
  • Bloodborne
  • Destiny
  • inFamous 1
  • Spelunky
  • Samurai Gunn
  • Luftrausers
  • Batman: Arkham City
  • Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  • Quake 3
  • Mirror's Edge 1
  • Hotline Miami
  • DeadCore
generalwalnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By generalwalnut

Real big fan of moving around in the N64 Banjo games, maybe that's a weird answer but dang it the talon trot is so good.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Vindictus. Say what you will about the f2p-ness and everything else wrong with this game, but moving around this game felt incredible. There was a real nice weight to the characters and I wish more videos games, especially MMOs, payed attention to that.

RickRockmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arcane Kids' Zineth. It plays kind of like if Lucio was in Tribes? You can wallride and grind and skate around real fast in that game, and it all feels goddamn great.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SUPER

MEAT

BOY

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

MGSV, as well as Mirror's Edge.

You know what had dope movement Brink that game got a lot of shit deservedly but damn the Smart Movement across Rough Terrain system worked super well.

two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By two_socks

N++, one of the greatest.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Vanquish, Bayonetta, Super Metroid, Bloodborne (Not any of the souls games, though they have great controls), MGSV, Vagrant Story, Valkyrie Profile 2, Assassin's Creed 2

jeddy201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Deadcore, Portal and Ori feel good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom 4 and Gravity Rush were the first answers that came to mind.

Quibbly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Quibbly

@fredchuckdave: I came in here just to make sure someone said Vanquish. Right now I think they pretty much nailed the different movement types in Overwatch. Everyone feels unique yet satisfying in their own way.

Avatar image for soimadeanaccount
soimadeanaccount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saints Row 4 when they just don't give a fuck anymore and let you run, jump, and fly

Dying Light to a certain extend with the caveat that I never quite get when will he grab on to a ledge and when he won't especially when falling down and going somewhere high with the grappling hook along with questionable places where the grappling doesn't work. There are also some unreachable ledges that looks like they should be reachable, the wall hop is also weird if not more detrimental than anything. But going from stumbling around the blocks in the beginning to finally learning how to dash from one end of the map to the other in mere minutes hoping on roof tops, sliding, falling and rolling, and charging and jumping over zombies infected is a pretty good feeling.

Mixed feelings about MGSV, he hugs the wall too much and too easily. Besides the generous cqc prompt, actually trying to line up punches and especially kicks feels very clunky. The sneaking suit is a must not so much because of the nighttime camo, but because it is the only way to keep up with guards with sneaky-run without them hearing you or else you have to use actual walk speed which is very slow, and I think you match speed with them at that point. Rockets also don't play nice with the movement because you can't do anything with it when prone.

Space Marine, that jetpack is pretty sweet...although I fell off the level a few times near the end.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Redhotchilimist

The movement in Saints Row 4 and Malice feels wonderful and free in a way not much else does. High speeds, double jumps, flying. Even Prototype 2 felt good in that regard. As "okay" as that game is, it IS enjoyable to just run straight up buildings and glide over the city.

For an older example, Super Mario World. You don't appreciate how nice it is to have a run button, a cape that lets you fly and jumps that wary depending on your speed until you don't have them anymore. The 3D Mario games feel good in an entirely different way. Especially 64, in comparison to its peers like Crash Bandicoot or Tomb Raider.

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Rich666

Abzu, Dark Souls (all if them) and Rogue Legacy (assuming you aren't playing using that fucking AWFUL 360 dpad)

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Tom_omb

I know it's been said a couple times, but it can't be overstated. Super Mario 64. It's frankly astounding that Nintendo nailed it so hard with the launch game for the N64. Very little has changed through the Sunshine, Galaxy and 3D Land/World games. Just running and jumping around in a field is tons of fun. Swimming, on the other hand, less fun.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

@ripelivejam: I can't believe it took so many posts to finally see the right answer

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Journey and MGS V are the most recent examples for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

So I agree the predominant movement (the super powers stuff) In Saints Row IV feels fantastic. But the little movement, trying to go through the portal, turn a corner in an inside environment, step over a 1ft ledge, is all fucking terrible. I would also argue the vehicles feel like shit and the mech suit is cool until you have to control it. But yes super powering your way through the city was fantastic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mirror's Edge both versions,Sleeping Dogs, BFBad Company 2,Dying Light, Crysis, FarCry 3.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Super Meat Boy has the best 2D movement ever made in a platformer.

StrawHat_NPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I was playing Tiatanfall 2 this weekend and I love how that game moves when you get good at grappling and wall running everywhere.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Dustforce, Bayonetta, Ori, Bastion, DOOM, Trials, Prince of Persia 08, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Super Meat Boy.

Man movement is so important in games. You gotta get that shit right.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like this exact same discussion came up a couple of months ago, and like here, no-one had mentioned Splatoon. The movement in that game is pure joy.

SPLATOON.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sunset Overdrive had movement that felt amazing. It was so much fun just to explore the city and grab collectibles because of how good the movement felt in that game.

I'd also include the Tony Hawk games in this, though they're a little bit different kind of game, but man does navigating the environment feel great in those games.

Finally I'd say Titanfall. Wall running, double jumping, rodeoing titans, it all felt just perfect.

P.S. Shout out to the 2D Mario games.

Gah, wish that would come Windows 10.. :( Its still the one Microsoft game I want to play and haven't

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

MGSV for me, hands down. It all felt so fluid and like I was truly in control

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Journey is simply the best. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 is also very very good.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS V. Played so slick and controlled to perfection. Nothing else comes close as far as 3rd person stuff goes in my mind.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kasaioni

@soimadeanaccount: You can still catch up to guards who are in search phase without crouch walking at full speed. I was able to last night playing a subsistence mission, it just takes some patience.

eddiephlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wind Waker and Beyond Good and Evil stand out to me for some reason. And Mega Man X.

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By theanticitizen

All my answers have been said so I'm going to say Halo 5. That game is so fast and fluid

Edit: Fast as in "fast for a Halo game". Not compared to Titanfall or Doom

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@csl316 said:

Spelunky has perfect 2D movement. So much that it's really messed with me when trying to play anything else. Pixel-perfect precision, with just the right mechanics and pace to make it super fun to run around.

Absolutely. Spelunky's movement controls are among the best in 2d platformers ever, it's really something.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Vanquish, Bayonetta, Super Metroid, Bloodborne (Not any of the souls games, though they have great controls), MGSV, Vagrant Story, Valkyrie Profile 2, Assassin's Creed 2

Did you play Dark Souls 3? If so, how does the movement (and camera) feel, in your opinion, compared to Dark Souls 2, Dark Souls 1, and Bloodborne?

The overall feel in Dark Souls 2 was the biggest reason that game was such a poor experience for me, but I loved Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1, and Bloodborne.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Titanfall

Spelunky

Super Meat Boy

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only game that stands out to me for this is Journey.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Sly Cooper games have always felt really good to me.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

Super Mario Galaxy. That you could be running around upside down on a planet and not get confused was always amazing to me.

notkcots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finally managed to get Bionic Commando to launch, and the whole swinging mechanic actually feels really good! I wish that your grapple arm had a bit more range, but it's a ton of fun to traverse entire levels without ever touching the ground. The story is really bizarrely self-serious considering how stupid the whole concept is; here's hoping this game follows the grand Bionic Commando tradition and ends with Hitler's head exploding.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Phantom Pain has absolutely fantastic movement.

giliad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Despite its flaws, and by that I mean the biggest gaming disappointment of all time, Halo 5 had great fluidity and movement, the additional mobility features and the way the maps complimented them was very well executed. Shootouts to: Titanfall, MGSV