Gamespy master servers to go down May 31st.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/3/5579254/gamespy-technology-shutdown-date-multiplayer-server-hosting-matchmaking

List of games affected via Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/223edx/gamespys_master_servers_are_shutting_down_may_31/cgj1659

I don't have much history with gamespy other then getting super pissed off about it when me and my friends were playing the first Borderlands game. Does anybody have anything good to say about the service?

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Oh man this sucks. I looked down that list and my heart sank because I own so many of those games. SHIT how am I gonna play Quake 3?!?!?!??!? YOU CAN"T TAKE MY QUAKE 3 AWAY YOU PRICKS!

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

man, reminds me a lot of those quake 3 days, but when Nintendo started shutting down Wii and DS servers it was really sign something was up at gamespy.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

gamespy more like gamebye

Avatar image for deactivated-64b71541ba2cd
deactivated-64b71541ba2cd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude, Gamespy takes me back. Gamespy and Microsoft Gaming Zone, with Rainbow 6 and Flight Simulator 98, were probably my first online gaming experiences. 56k with 200 ping playing an FPS. I guess I don't miss everything about the 90s.

BaronVonHaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rip

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

56k with 200 ping playing an FPS. I guess I don't miss everything about the 90s.

Phase 1: Get ISDN

Phase 2: Become LPB

Phase 3: Profit '99

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I guess this could be the main reason for Wii/DS servers going down.

Scott_Kevill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vuud said:

Oh man this sucks. I looked down that list and my heart sank because I own so many of those games. SHIT how am I gonna play Quake 3?!?!?!??!? YOU CAN"T TAKE MY QUAKE 3 AWAY YOU PRICKS!

That list is not correct. Many of those games (including Quake III Arena) do not use GameSpy.

Dude, Gamespy takes me back. Gamespy and Microsoft Gaming Zone, with Rainbow 6 and Flight Simulator 98, were probably my first online gaming experiences. 56k with 200 ping playing an FPS. I guess I don't miss everything about the 90s.

You can actually still play the original Rainbow Six online. :)

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scott_kevill: it was on Reddit so of course it was not correct. Boy do I feel dumb for reading something on Reddit.

Scott_Kevill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vuud Yeah, apparently everyone is reposting that list from Facepunch somewhere. You still get to play Quake III at least. :)

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ben_H

@vuud said:

@scott_kevill: it was on Reddit so of course it was not correct. Boy do I feel dumb for reading something on Reddit.

Was gonna say the same thing. Never trust Reddit.

Sad to hear about the old Battlefield games. I still play BF2 from time to time. The new games just aren't the same. Hopefully EA will throw the people who still play those games a bone and move the server stuff over to be done through Origin and their own servers. They still sell those games and selling a multiplayer without the ability to play multiplayer would be quite questionable. A lot of people still play BF2 and BF1942.

Sad to see Gamespy go. I used that service a ton back in the day to play Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, BF1942 and BF2. Yeah it was kinda sketchy at times but it worked and it was the only thing we had, other than Microsoft's Zone stuff.

Scott_Kevill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Scott_Kevill

For what it's worth, I'm the developer of GameRanger, a multiplayer online gaming service that already supports over 600 PC and Mac games. Many of these are ex-GameSpy or have already had their existing multiplayer services shut down.

I'll be working to try and get as many other affected games supported as possible.

ColossalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

A friend and I still play Company of Heroes, Dawn of War and the Battlefront games from time to time. This blows.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By bacongames

I'm actually surprised it took this long for them to start the shutdown. Even when I played Borderlands 3 years ago, I thought that was such an antiquated system to use. On a related note I find it fascinating to see where various games land when stuff like this goes down. Admittedly It's not been a frequent occurrence since the only other situation that is really similar is the GFWL shutdown. Otherwise it's been server shutdowns from publishers, largely for console games, which isn't the same as service that is both popular enough to affect a large number of games but outdated enough to warrant a shutdown.

Scott_Kevill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colossalghost I don't, but that's something I'll have to look into soon.

@crusader8463 Company of Heroes used Quazal for Relic Online, but I believe that has now been migrated to Steamworks. Dawn of War and Battlefront both used GameSpy, but they can still be played on GameRanger.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Let's have a Gamespy multiplayer party to send this thing off in style!

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colossalghost I don't, but that's something I'll have to look into soon.

@crusader8463 Company of Heroes used Quazal for Relic Online, but I believe that has now been migrated to Steamworks. Dawn of War and Battlefront both used GameSpy, but they can still be played on GameRanger.

Do you have any information for the pre-BF3 Battlefield games? I would guess EA will be moving them away from Gamespy if they haven't already since they still sell those games on their Origin service and on Steam.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ben_H

@grantheaslip said:

In hindsight it probably wasn't great, but I have fond memories of using GameSpy to play PC games in the early 2000s.

Mario Kart Wii apparently used GameSpy, which I had no idea about until I saw it mentioned offhand yesterday. (Nintendo announced in February that Mario Kart Wii's online servers are shutting down in May.)

A whole bunch of Nintendo online stuff used Gamespy apparently so a whole bunch of it is reportedly going offline in May. Like all the DS and Wii stuff. It was announced recently.

Edit: Basically, from my understanding, everything that uses this, not including the 3DS.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/wifi

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

That Reddit thread is saying that a lot of people still play Halo Custom Edition. I recently installed Halo CE (as in, Combat Evolved), so I'll probably go grab the Custom Edition download and play some of that multiplayer.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

BATTLEFIELD 2 AND BATTLEFRONT. FUCK.

Edit: So any Duders wanna have a farewell Battlefield 2 thing if EA doesn't move the servers? On of my favourite games and I need to give it a proper send-off.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

:(

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By thatdutchguy

No more SW Battlefront 2 ? FUCK

Avatar image for deactivated-5a995178e28eb
deactivated-5a995178e28eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

first Heat.net and now this

lawd have mercy

Scott_Kevill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I remember, EA licensed the GameSpy code, but ran their own servers for it, and thus they may not be affected. I'm not 100% sure about this. However, it does look like there will be ways to play these games after the fact even if they were affected.

Star Wars Battlefront and Battlefront II are already on GameRanger, so you'll still be able to play them.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ShaggE

Goddamn, just when I was getting back into SoF2.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I remember, EA licensed the GameSpy code, but ran their own servers for it, and thus they may not be affected. I'm not 100% sure about this. However, it does look like there will be ways to play these games after the fact even if they were affected.

@skyfire543 said:

@thatdutchguy said:

Star Wars Battlefront and Battlefront II are already on GameRanger, so you'll still be able to play them.

Thank you for the response. That is reassuring.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

They had a pretty good gaming website once. Over a decade ago.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I literally just bought a copy of Halo 1 on PC, now you're telling me I won't be able to play Death Island online ever again? D:

Scott_Kevill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258@ottoman673: I just released an update to GameRanger today adding support for Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo: Combat Evolved Demo, and Halo: Custom Edition.