Gaming Eye wear

friendlypossum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Duders and Dudettes,

I am an Engineer who spends about 8 hours a day in front of a computer, as such are noticing some eye strain and headaches. My question is

do any of you use gaming glasses for said issues? Do you think they work> What brands can you recommend?

Thanks Kids!

helvetica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm afraid I don't have any eyewear suggestions, but you blink 50% less when you're staring at a screen. Try to look at a distant object at least every 20 minutes and that'll help relax your eyes.

friendlypossum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I think if "gaming glasses" worked, computer scientists, engineers, and air traffic controllers would have been wearing them 25 years ago and they wouldn't be called gaming glasses.

friendlypossum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

I think if "gaming glasses" worked, computer scientists, engineers, and air traffic controllers would have been wearing them 25 years ago and they wouldn't be called gaming glasses.

Which is why Im asking if people have used them. I looked up Gunnar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOAXiwvtkyI and the science behind sounds legit....does it actually make a noticeable difference though? I don't know....

DuncanKeller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get pretty bad eye-strain. I work in front of a PC as well, and I would not mind if there were a magical solution to this problem. Maybe this helps you: I use f.lux, which tints the screen and is allegedly better for your eyes, but it's really only meant for the evening when the room is lit by bulbs and not natural light. Not really useful at work unless you have no daylight.

I feel your pain, though. Working with computers has its fair share of downsides.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Ben_H  Online

https://justgetflux.com/

No really, just use it. I get eyestrain and without flux, I basically couldn't ever work at night because I get bad headaches. It has a similar effect to those glasses but is free. It tints your screen.

For daytime eyestrain, try dimming your monitors and messing with contrast as necessary. I have my monitors on minimum brightness and contrast set to make things appear a bit darker than normal. It makes a massive difference.

With these two things, I've basically eliminated all eyestrain.

If all else fails, consider inverting colour at the OS level(unless colour is required of course). I do this a lot when working with programs that contain a lot of white elements. A black background tends to help a lot with eyestrain I find.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I don't know about the eyestrain, but good posture and drinking more water helps me when it comes to headaches. To be honest, probably anything would help thanks to placebo.

DuncanKeller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@audiobusting said:

I don't know about the eyestrain, but good posture and drinking more water helps me when it comes to headaches. To be honest, probably anything would help thanks to placebo.

Mm, I hear that. Water helps everything. Unfortunately, I drink more coffee in a day than I drink water in a week. I'll have to be attentive all day, and I start to fall asleep in a couple hours without coffee. Whad up corporate lyfe...

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The gunnars just tint the light coming from your screen like f.lux does, so in low-light environments the brightness won't strain your eyes as much. I think that's right, I can't see what else they would be doing.

So if you're in a room well-lit by daylight, then I doubt they'll do anything. If mostly your office is artificially lit, or dark, then they can't hurt and might help. If you can get f.lux on your comp instead though, that is definitely a cheaper and more customisable option.

If you have real problems, your employer should be acting to address them. Workstation assessments are part of most company's HR remit and you should be able to get them to change things like your seat/desk/monitor/lighting in order to make you more comfortable. Most employers will do this because they might be liable if you get some condition resulting from your work environment.

Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Branwulf

'Gaming Glasses' are a fiction, they don't do anything at all for your health and are worn by people paid to wear them or gullible enough to think they do something.

You could always go to the optician for an eye test, maybe you need glasses or a prescription change. When i've had issues like that working at a PC it has often been because my eyesight had actually got worse and I hadn't really noticed, instead i'd tried to compensate.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A friend of mine bought a pair of Gunners, did nothing for him. He stopped wearing them and just lowered the brightness on his screens and put a light behind the screen while he was playing at night.

Use f.lux on your PC as well, it's pretty good.