Gaming Resolutions

Dynablade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Edited By Dynablade

Each year since 2008 I've tracked what games I've beaten just for the fun of it. It wasn't until 2010 when I added individual goals that I really started to enjoy going back and playing my games the way I used to back when I was a kid. At first it was a few basic goals like beat "insert how many games here", or 100% one game. Since then I started to add weird twists to them such as beating a game that starts with the letter "E", beat a game on three different handhelds, beat a game released before 2006, or beat 20 games on Nintendo systems.

For this year I wanted to further expand upon these resolution goals by making some goals completely off the wall. This time I want to add some more individual game specific goals to see if it's possible to beat games a certain way. Below are a list of Gaming Resolutions I want to achieve for the year 2013:

- Beat an entire Mario game without a power up

- Beat Contra without the Konami code

- Beat Mario Kart 64 on the N64 using one hand (My father managed to achieve this despite having one functioning hand. I want to experience what my disabled father went through to understand how he plays video games.)

- Beat a game in the month I was born in (April)

- Beat the entire Mass Effect trilogy

- Beat 100 games and photograph their end screens as proof

- Go through my retro backlog and finally beat these games for the first time: The Legend of Zelda (NES), Final Fantasy VII (PSX), Persona 3 FES (PS2), Persona 4 (PS2), Fire Emblem Path of Radiance (GCN), Bioshock (PS3), and EarthBound (SNES).

I'm sure 2013 will test my limits, give me plenty of good laughs, and be entertaining from beginning to end! :D

Do you guys have any gaming resolutions for 2013?

Dynablade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Dynablade

Each year since 2008 I've tracked what games I've beaten just for the fun of it. It wasn't until 2010 when I added individual goals that I really started to enjoy going back and playing my games the way I used to back when I was a kid. At first it was a few basic goals like beat "insert how many games here", or 100% one game. Since then I started to add weird twists to them such as beating a game that starts with the letter "E", beat a game on three different handhelds, beat a game released before 2006, or beat 20 games on Nintendo systems.

For this year I wanted to further expand upon these resolution goals by making some goals completely off the wall. This time I want to add some more individual game specific goals to see if it's possible to beat games a certain way. Below are a list of Gaming Resolutions I want to achieve for the year 2013:

- Beat an entire Mario game without a power up

- Beat Contra without the Konami code

- Beat Mario Kart 64 on the N64 using one hand (My father managed to achieve this despite having one functioning hand. I want to experience what my disabled father went through to understand how he plays video games.)

- Beat a game in the month I was born in (April)

- Beat the entire Mass Effect trilogy

- Beat 100 games and photograph their end screens as proof

- Go through my retro backlog and finally beat these games for the first time: The Legend of Zelda (NES), Final Fantasy VII (PSX), Persona 3 FES (PS2), Persona 4 (PS2), Fire Emblem Path of Radiance (GCN), Bioshock (PS3), and EarthBound (SNES).

I'm sure 2013 will test my limits, give me plenty of good laughs, and be entertaining from beginning to end! :D

Do you guys have any gaming resolutions for 2013?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

I prefer 800x600. Yes, I know it's tiny, but that's kind of the point: it allows me to see other stuff and do other stuff while I'm playing a game (like maybe play some old school game music in case the particular game I'm playing doesn't have any).

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By NiKva

My gaming resolution:

-Beat a game

Some years I achieve it, some years I don't.

xMEGADETHxSLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By xMEGADETHxSLY

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Zekhariah

Purchase fewer games. I've been doing an okay job of that (though if its a complete edition, game I want, and overtly discounted stuff happens..... hi Amazon).

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hunter5024

I'm going to beat 10 games on my bucket list, and I'm going to try and blog about each of them. This year I beat 3 and 4 halves and I was pretty dissatisfied with that. I'm not exactly in a rush to do all of them at once or anything, but at this rate it will take me 30 years, so I'm gonna pick up the pace a bit. Sure could use some shorter games on there.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Sooty

I'm going to finish Yakuza Kenzan and import and play Yakuza 5 from Japan.

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NiKva

@Zekhariah said:

Purchase fewer games. I've been doing an okay job of that (though if its a complete edition, game I want, and overtly discounted stuff happens..... hi Amazon).

I need to do this, too.

I'm hoarding too many games.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By amir90

Learn to stop playing, when I am bored.
Take my time to finish a game, especially RPGs.
Finish a shogun 2 campaign with my friend.
Keep a better track of what and how much I am gaming.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Wemibelle

@Video_Game_King said:

I prefer 800x600. Yes, I know it's tiny, but that's kind of the point: it allows me to see other stuff and do other stuff while I'm playing a game (like maybe play some old school game music in case the particular game I'm playing doesn't have any).

Old joke.

I have a "Games to Finish" list made from all the games I own that is constantly being added to and subtracted from as I play/receive new games. That won't really change. In fact, I should probably resolve to play less games next year, as I tend to spend way more time with this hobby than the others I should spend more time with.

kalibr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kalibr

S-rank anything. Never been much of completionist I just get distracted too easily. I'll find a game I truly love and tell myself I'm gonna s rank it and either more and more DLC will come out and stop playing or I will have a moment of clarity and ask myself why I'm searching for some random collectible bullshit and move on.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By DarthOrange
Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sanity

Mines to try and finish shit before i buy more, my freaking steam library has gotten out of control.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By ShaggE

Mine is to make it a hobby instead of a lifestyle. Gettin' shit done in twenty-baker's-doz.

Dynablade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dynablade

@dudy80: I understand how that is. Both Steam sales in Summer and now have set me back quite a ways with PC game backlog.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Th3_James

I have a massive backlog that I will probably never get through. Life is just too busy for me to game as much as I have in the past. If I had a whole year to do nothing with I would spend it just catching up on games and other shit. Damn that would be nice.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By amafi

Win more matches in VF5:FS than I lose. (spoiler: Not gonna happen)

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By musclerider

So outside of completing 100 games you want to beat at least 2 100+ hour PS2 RPGs and the entire ME trilogy (another 100+ hours).
You have a lot of time on your hands.

I'm going to try to play less games as recently I just can't get that engaged in them.

Dynablade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dynablade

@musclerider: Well what else am I gonna do besides saving money for college and working two days a week? lol

Yes I do have more time on my hands that I'd like to admit.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By colourful_hippie

native 1080p

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#21  Edited By Lelcar

Every year my resolution has been to expand my horizons to genres, platforms, etc that I didn't really like previously. Now it's to the point where I own and play games across every medium and I like every genre. I play a lot of games and there's seriously very few that I actually dislike. And it's awesome.

So my new resolution is to complete some of my extensive backlog of games and to try and focus on one or two games at a time instead of having like five on the go at once.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Justin258

For me? I'm just going to beat some games that I've already got. See, I've been buying and buying and buying games for a while now and I have a fairly sizable library. Sure, I've beaten a fair number of them, but now I need to go beat a good number of them instead of leaving a whole lot of them halfway done.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By musclerider

@Dynablade: Been there done that. I don't know if I could play nearly this much of the videogames. So honestly I'm kind of impressed by how ambitious some of your goals are, good luck!

CooVee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By CooVee
@Zekhariah said:

Yeah I need to make this resolution as well. I buy too many games (especially digitial) that I just don't get around to finishing or even playing. The only games I am really looking forward to in 2013 are Luigi's Mansion 2 and the new Ace Attorney games(s).