Gamming and your (real life) pets

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By asmo917

I've spent about two months watching and testing out a theory of mine - my dog hates games. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed similar behavior?

The subject: Brutus is a 7 (almost 8) year old Beagle/Corgi mix. I adopted him from a rescue when he was 5. This all means that while I may call him my "puppy," he's far from it and old enough to have a very distinct personality (dog-inality?) and I've had enough time to observe it.  In three years of observation, I can say he's inquisitive, stubborn, and very affectionate. I was his third, fourth, or fifth home as he was abandoned at least twice and fostered twice, so he's probably still got abandonment issues with people.

The environment: Brutus and I live in a two story townhouse. The bottom floor is wide open, with the kitchen/living room separated by a bar. There's a 50" TV on an entertainment center with my consoles, a couch facing it with a fold-down center console, and a papazan chair that is essentially the dog's.There's a rowing machine and assorted pillows and blankets are usually strewn about, depending on where I took my latest siesta :)

The activities: I work remotely at my job, I watch TV/movies, I row, I nap (hopefully as a result of activity 2 and not 1!) and I game.

What I've found: Brutus has three spots: "his" chair, to the left of me on the left end of the couch, and the far end of the couch. For two solid months, I've watched him react to me sitting down and seen that he insists on jumping up beside me 90% of the time IF I'm not holding a game controller. If I am, he immediately goes to the the other end of the couch. It's behavior that makes sense - my hands are occupied and I'm unlikely to pet him and I'm intently focused - but it's not so different (I hope!) than when I'm working with my laptop propped up on my knees. Maybe he's observed that when I have the laptop, I'm more likely to pause frequently and am less invested in the task at hand?

I'll ask again - what about you and your furry friends? I'll also add that I've noticed cats are only interested in my gaming when they can interrupt me and screw me over at critical moments. They're actually only interested in ANYTHING I'm doing when they can interrupt me...

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By jkz

I enjoy a good gamm once in a while, and so does my cat. Me and my cat gamm together quite often. 

Jesus Christ I'm a dick today. I have found that my pets don't give a crap what I'm doing, they'll take any chance they can to distract me from doing it, be it work, video-games, eating, or musing on the intricacies of human stupidity.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

hmm...gamming is what they should call it when two people without teeth kiss. 

And if I happen to be playing in the living room, the cat will usually dive onto my lap clawing at me like I'm a carpet. Although actually, she does that whenever I sit on the chair no matter what I'm doing...Cats are jerks.

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By asmo917

Dammit, the one thing I don't run through spell-check...

As long as we're mocking me and defining the word: I think "gamming" should be when you're checking out just the legs on broads in gin joints, as in "Check out the gams on that bird."

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@jukezypoo said:
" I enjoy a good gamm once in a while, and so does my cat. Me and my cat gamm together quite often. "
Jesus Christ, you just made me crack up for a good two minutes. I can't even type this, I'm still laughing. 

I love how casually it's slipped in there, as well. "Gamming and your real life pets". As if it's a totally natural spelling of the word. I think I've lost my mind, anyway. I'm finding this way too funny. I don't mean to mock the original poster, he's clearly capable of spelling normally.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jkz
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" @jukezypoo said:
" I enjoy a good gamm once in a while, and so does my cat. Me and my cat gamm together quite often. "
Jesus Christ, you just made me crack up for a good two minutes. I can't even type this, I'm still laughing.   I love how casually it's slipped in there, as well. "Gamming and your real life pets". As if it's a totally natural spelling of the word. I think I've lost my mind, anyway. I'm finding this way too funny. I don't mean to mock the original poster, he's clearly capable of spelling normally. "
*Snaps a Punctilious Salute, Turns, and Walks Away*
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Gamm sounds so dirty as well; "dirty" as in dirty for kids at Junior High. Like, "Did you hook up with Mindy?", "Yeah, we gammed". I will never, ever forget this word.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By iam3green

my cat doesn't mind what i'm doing. i found that she likes me a lot. she follows me around when i'm home. sometimes when i play she interrupts me to want to get padded.  she sleeps with me sometimes, she sits right next to me when i'm on my computer, she sits on the couch with me. as u can see she really likes me a lot.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By mosdl

My cat loves to sit behind my pc/console after a few hours of work/gaming (I work from home) since its all nice and toasty.  Of course that can lead to power outages when they move and unplug a wire...

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Brians

My cat makes a game out of annoying my family whenever we are doing anything important or unimportant, especially my dad though.