#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3493 posts) -

Hey duders, I'll be in Dearborn, Michigan this weekend giving a TEDx talk. Some folks wanted to do a meetup, and I finally had a chance to pick a spot...

Seems like a rad dive bar, and I'll be there at 10pm on Saturday. Will try to hang out for a bit!

Hope to see ya there.

Staff
#2 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Aww man, I wish I could make it! I'm just across the river in Windsor, Canada!

#3 Edited by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -

Some of that bar food looks god damn delicious. Dearborn's pretty close to me, and in theory I'd love the chance to meet any of the Giantbomb staff, though in practice I'm not sure what I'd say :-/

#4 Edited by rubberluffy (440 posts) -

I'm like an hour north. Maybe I'll go. I never go to bars though, never been my thing.

@toowalrus said:

though in practice I'm not sure what I'd say :-/

haha yeah

#5 Posted by patrickklepek (3493 posts) -

we can just talk about games, mang.

Staff
#6 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

How far away is that from Eastern Idaho...like an hour or two?

#7 Posted by RobotSquad (213 posts) -

I'm about an hour and a half North. This is, I'm sure, the closest I'll ever be to something like this. But that's still a ways....

#8 Posted by IIGrayFoxII (303 posts) -

@patrickklepek: Well.... normally we don't allow Bears fans in these parts, but I will vouch for you. I do have plans to visit Halloweekends at Cedar Point, but if those plans fall through due to the weather, I will be there. Good luck on your speech.

#9 Posted by oldenglishC (922 posts) -

I've got a Halloween party that night, but I'll try my damnedest to get the wife to stay sober and drive me down there later.

So if a 6'7" Papa Smurf and slutty Wolf Blitzer walk in, it's just us.

#10 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

@oldenglishc How did your wife know my fetish? Indecent proposal?

#11 Edited by MocBucket62 (1159 posts) -

If I had the time to go to Michigan, I would just to meet up with you guys! Don't think I can though, which stinks!

#12 Posted by ColdPhone (60 posts) -

I'll be there with bells on. Literal or figurative, I'm not sure yet.

#13 Edited by Johnny_Goober (12 posts) -

I'll be there too, WITH @coldphone himself. Can't promise any bells though. But, I will do my best to wear clothes, nonetheless.

#14 Edited by chilipeppersman (1146 posts) -

have fun duders! wish i could but i live in cali...

#15 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3745 posts) -

@patrickklepek moves to Chicago and Chicago people get gypped. 4 hour drive? Nah, son.

#16 Posted by oldenglishC (922 posts) -

@mideonnviscera: I'll double whatever you offer me, if you promise to keep her.

#17 Posted by billymagnum (729 posts) -

so what exactly happens at a meet up? fans just like sit around stare at patrick and smile? i feel like there some definite awkwardness to be had. all i can picture is a personification of a GB chat window. id check it out if it were remotely close.

#19 Edited by The_Nubster (2052 posts) -

Fuck! How about come to Toronto instead of that butthole place. We've got a whole functioning government and tasty maple syrup and everything!

#20 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Only on GiantBomb is an invitation to a social event followed by questions and anxiety about how socializing works.

#21 Posted by Fear_the_Booboo (395 posts) -

@the_nubster: Pffff. In Montreal we have all that stuff and we have also REAL Poutine.

POUTINE

#22 Posted by The_Nubster (2052 posts) -
#23 Edited by Donkeycow (556 posts) -

@fear_the_booboo: We have this big tower though... it's pretty dope

Only on GiantBomb is an invitation to a social event followed by questions and anxiety about how socializing works.

Also i agree, this thread became something absolutely hilarious. I would consider going but Toronto is pretty darn far.

#25 Posted by ottoman673 (484 posts) -

Man, too bad this is on the east side. Grand Rapids has a number of awesome bars that'd totally kick ass for this kinda thing. [we're named beer city for a reason.]

Oh well.

#26 Edited by HeathHuston (24 posts) -

Fuckin fuck, I'm probably gonna get stuck watching the game somewhere and depending on the results be too drunk or way too drunk to get to Deaborn at 10.

I'll try to be there if everything else falls through though.

#27 Posted by icytower38 (461 posts) -

So close to me, yet I can't go since I'm unable to drive thanks to my disability. :(

#28 Posted by MogiGrumbles (12 posts) -

@patrickklepek I can't wait to hang out with some giantbomb peeps! I'm bringing a little Chicago themed gift too...

#29 Posted by McDayman (99 posts) -

I just graduated from UM Dearborn this April. Would be a perfect place to come see Patrick speak and meetup afterwards, but alas, I'll be partying it up at a friend's wedding.

Good luck Patrick, err, break a leg.

#30 Posted by NunsandRoses (20 posts) -

I'll be at the talk and the meet up afterward, despite it being in the middle of a Tigers game.

#31 Edited by rubberluffy (440 posts) -

95% sure I'll be there. If you see a dude with longish blond hair in a blue&white shirt, it'll most likely be me.

#32 Posted by CByrne (188 posts) -

It was a good time! I was the guy in the Marussia shirt.

Patrick in person still has that pause while he articulates a thought then says something with passion and intellect, except way more animated.

#33 Edited by rubberluffy (440 posts) -

Patrick was pretty cool. I hope I'll always be "Suikoden guy" to him.

Also the drunk middle aged dude who was angry about Minecraft was pretty funny.

#34 Posted by Standing_Gopher (129 posts) -

Hey, duders!

This is Jon, the guy who was wearing the 2013 member's tee. I had a great time meeting and talking with everyone today. I hope you enjoyed your brief visit to Michigan, Pat!

#35 Edited by Johnny_Goober (12 posts) -

Awesome time! @patrickklepek was just as friendly, fun and insightful in person as he is on the interwebtubez. Good job on the TedTalk too!

I was just happy that somewhere between the baseball, videogames, and fantasy football I was able to land myself in a conversation about motorsports!

I'd say any time Patrick and Katie want to make a return trip, DON'T BE BASHFUL! AIN'T NO PARTY LIKE A MICHIGAN PARTY 'CAUSE A MICHIGAN PARTY...gots peninsulas and a buncha big lakes 'n' shitz.

#36 Posted by Trace (3550 posts) -

Had a hell of a great time hanging out with everyone last night rambling about random racing and video game stuffs! Hopefully the beer didn't make me ramble TOO much. Regardless, Michigan's got quite a few awesome duders in the mix.

Sad I missed that whole Minecraft silliness from where I was seated. It still sounds utterly hilarious.

#37 Posted by Jakethesnakeyea (54 posts) -

That was awesome, I was the loud guy with the turquoise 5k shirt on. Definitely very awesome to talk fantasy football with patrick, and to finally admit that I'm miserably bad at racing games(though I'm going to make it my goal to at least get some cheevos in dirt 2/forza 3). That was an absolutely fantastic night, and you're all awesome, and forced me to stop lurking on this site after 5 years of following it.

I'll definitely post more on here from now on.

#38 Posted by The_Boots (83 posts) -

Started a separate thread for people to maybe post and talk about getting together more meetups! I was there with my wife, lochnessie82

#39 Posted by NunsandRoses (20 posts) -

The meet-up was a ton of fun! I was the loud guy in the green/blue patterned shirt and fauxhawk.

See, guys, he called it Minecrap! Get it?! I s'pose I'll have to hang around the forums more often now that I've actually met some duders.

#40 Posted by citizenarcane (7 posts) -

Hey guys, I was the guy in the gray sweater and purple collared shirt. (White guy with beard wouldn't really narrow it down). It was a seriously great night, and like a lot of others, I think it'll motivate me to stop just lurking and actually join the community. It was so nice to meet other fans in the area, not to mention Patrick and Katie. Thanks everyone for a seriously memorable night.

#41 Edited by Digstyle (15 posts) -

Started a separate thread for people to maybe post and talk about getting together more meetups! I was there with my wife, lochnessie82

I made it to the TEDx and talked with Patrick for a few minutes there. Reminds me of my buddy who is also too skinny to not stick out in Michigan! I can say that... I have lived here all my life... and I'm a little fat!

Wish I could have made the meetup. Had prior commitments that I couldn't get out of. I'd love to participate in a Giant Bomb Michigan Meetup (GBMM anyone... anyone?) in the near future. Please post a link to the thread and I will definitely pass it around. If you need help organizing, please PM me and I will get you my email address and phone number. I can do East side/west side of Detroit, but If we get close to or past Ann Arbor, I probably can't make that far out (East-Sider).

#42 Posted by cyberlink420 (1 posts) -

Was a good time to be sure! I was the one in the Revengeance hoodie and one of the two guys who gave Patrick the bags full of Michigan stuff. (All hail Tim Allen!)