Giant Bomb should do mod reviews and quick looks.

dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dystonym

Hello y'all. My name is Murdouken.

I was recently doing one of my very frequent 'download every mod I see and see which ones are awesome' sessions (Which I do like twice a week, it's awesome) and it suddenly just sort of hit me that no credible site provides any relevant information on the modding world. Some of the mods (Flesh, Curse, Jailbreak: Source, Neotokyo) do fantastic things that publishers would sort of just go "wat." to if anyone decided to pitch the idea. On top of that, because they get nearly no coverage on any reputable site (save for the few that make it onto steam) the multiplayer parts of these mods often die quickly. I mean, for example, Battlegrounds got some good coverage on Rock Paper Shotgun and that is still active.

So I'm suggesting, or hoping, or whatever, that the Giant Bomb video crew people could maybe do like, one quick look or review of an awesome mod every week or two weeks. Not even specifically for Half Life 2. Crysis, Deus Ex, Far Cry, Half Life 1, and many other games all have strong modding scenes. I mean, it doesn't just benefit us who get to see what is new, but it would also increase traffic to giantbomb by a small amount as the developers would most likely post a link to it on their site and on their moddb pages. 

Thanks for your time.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By MildMolasses

I wouldn't count on that. The GB crew is really small, so they already get stretched a little thin just trying to cover the major games without missing anything.Getting them to scour out mods and such probably isn't in the best use of theire time. I like the idea though, but at best I think you could only hope for a QL that was done the same way as they did the XBL indie games video.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Scooper

I don't think the GiantBomb staff at large are even interested in PC let alone mods. Jeff and Dave probably check out mods from time to time but I doubt enough to write anything meaningfull about them. Besides they're both incredibly busy with what they have to do already.

dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dystonym

I guess you're right. Just pains me to see some of these mods go so unnoticed when they do so much right.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By penguindust
@Murdouken:   Everyone can write a blog here.  If you do one that focuses on PC mods for games and it's presented reasonably coherent, I'm sure members would be appreciative.   Title it "Murdouken's PC Mod of the Week", tell us what it's about, what game it runs off, where to get it, add a few screenshots and then write up your impressions.   It doesn't have to be complex like Video_Game_King or TrueEnglishGent's stuff.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

They've expressed disinterest in covering free games & mods in the past - since anyone can play try them out, they don't really need to do quick looks or reviews to let people know whether they should play them or not, since it's not like people are paying out money to get them. They are a very small group of staff, and sometimes struggle to cover all the big releases, they really don't have the time or resources to cover mods. I can perhaps see a quick look or two, but reviews are a big no.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By project343
@MattyFTM: If this is the case, why do they cover XBLA titles? Trials are available for all of these.
Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Cerza

As others have said, I wouldn't count on the Giant Bomb guys doing something like this. They are a small team with a full enough plate already. As PenguinDust suggested, why not do it yourself in blog format? It wouldn't be that hard. Pick a mod you like, supply some screen shots, and tell us why it's good and where we can get in a few paragraphs.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@project343 said:
" @MattyFTM: If this is the case, why do they cover XBLA titles? Trials are available for all of these. "
Trials aren't usually fully representative of the full product.
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By End_Boss
@PenguinDust said:
" @Murdouken:   Everyone can write a blog here.  If you do one that focuses on PC mods for games and it's presented reasonably coherent, I'm sure members would be appreciative.   Title it "Murdouken's PC Mod of the Week", tell us what it's about, what game it runs off, where to get it, add a few screenshots and then write up your impressions.   It doesn't have to be complex like Video_Game_King or TrueEnglishGent's stuff. "
Motion is seconded.
jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#12  Edited By jeff

We've thought about doing Quick Looks at mods in the past, but haven't done any yet.

Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bobdaman18

I'd appreciate some kind of monthly highlights of the best mods by Dave, maybe just a couple of minutes a month talking about whats going on with the mod scene (mods that are new, dying, upcoming, etc.)

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By nail1080

The fact that it's a small staff size doesn't really matter, the guys do tend to dip their feet in some weird games, I don't see why mods would be no different. It's a great idea

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By august
SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SammydesinasNL

Maybe if the community starts playing a larger role, we could do reviews (which would be featured?).
project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By project343
@gakon5: You are very right with that, sir. At least with regards to gaming, journalism nowadays is personality-driven. I don't usually watch quicklooks to know more about a particular game--but rather, I watch quicklooks for the commentary. The 20+ minutes of (mostly) unedited gameplay is a great addition to the experience, but realistically, those 20 minutes aren't always the best summation of a game. I develop my pre-purchase opinions based on: a) marketing, b) reviews, c) gameplay footage, d) developer credibility, and e) comparing the prior to my pre-existing opinion.

We don't need journalists in their traditional roles. We have all of the tools available to us. Journalists should now focus on editorial pieces and establishing those personalities. Giant Bomb, in particular, excels at this.
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By animateria

Leave the mods for the modding community to scrutinize, I don't see why GB should cover stuff that won't matter for 99% of it's audience.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Systech
@Jeff said:
" We've thought about doing Quick Looks at mods in the past, but haven't done any yet. "
I would love to see some Quick Looks.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#20  Edited By EpicSteve

I could see them doing Quick Looks on specifically awesome mods, but I wouldn't see the point in reviewing a free product when they could be critiquing something that costs me $60.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sixghost
@EpicSteve said:
" I could see them doing Quick Looks on specifically awesome mods, but I wouldn't see the point in reviewing a free product when they could be critiquing something that costs me $60. "
I love when they do quicklooks of games I've never heard of before. I think it really is what makes that feature shine, rather than just watching them play something like Dante's Inferno.
GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GunnBjorn
@MildMolasses: 

You're totally thinking my first thoughts. 
Mod-reviews, no way. 
An occasional QL, quite possible.
Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper
@project343 said:
" @MattyFTM: If this is the case, why do they cover XBLA titles? Trials are available for all of these. "
Because they're not much into the PC scene is all. I'd really wish they got a few more PC guys on there.
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Mod reviews might not happen but quick looks of prominent ones are possible.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By the8bitNacho

I seem to remember Brad covering that Black Mesa mod or whatever (it still isn't out, by the way), but really I see no benefit as far as mod coverage goes.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

@PenguinDust said:
" @Murdouken:   Everyone can write a blog here.  If you do one that focuses on PC mods for games and it's presented reasonably coherent, I'm sure members would be appreciative.   Title it "Murdouken's PC Mod of the Week", tell us what it's about, what game it runs off, where to get it, add a few screenshots and then write up your impressions.   It doesn't have to be complex like Video_Game_King or TrueEnglishGent's stuff. "

Dude seems eloquent enough. I'd read it! There is also ModDB if he wants his fix.

I do wish they had a "mods" tab or whatever in the wiki, though.
Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By Marz

Do some yourself and post em on youtube, maybe you'll gain a following.

dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dystonym

Alright, I guess I'll right a few blog things, short ones that probably aren't great but some people may find them useful.  And at some people, you don't need to pay for mods but there are absolutely thousands of them out there getting no coverage at all, so looking into the mod community is very intimidating at first.

Someone needs to suspend my comma rights, seriously.