GIant Bomb video statistics (with pretty graphs)

SoundChaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SoundChaser

I made a site to visualize some Giant Bomb video statistics. I'm planning on doing some more stuff with the data in the coming days/weeks as well. Thanks to Szlifier (of QLCrew fame) for making an API that I can use to get the staff members involved in each video.

gb-stats.wambo.at

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Good work, this could be a useful tool in time with said additions.

biomajor09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice work

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool! I am actually kind of staggered when looking at the 'Video Counts by Length' at how much content the site has put out. I know that video coverage is the order of the day here but still, that's a ton.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Neat!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I love statistics, nice job!

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I'm into statistics and graphs also. I presume the formatting on the video length graph is h:m, would be interesting to maybe break those bars up and colour them based on video category. Then we could see things like which videos tend to be longest (I imagine those upper tier videos are the likes of Mario Party Party and the few special feature-length streams they've done).

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seeing that Alex has been in more video content than Drew is weird to me.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Very cool! Can't believe some of the stats. Has Rorie seriously only been in 36 videos? I feel like I have seen him much more than that, but I suppose that's what happens when they're all spread out over time.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By szlifier

@redhotchilimist: He's been in 36 Quick Looks, but also in 112 other videos like UPF or TNT. This number doesn't even include all Happy Hours, as I haven't completed indexing them, yet.

LassieME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I love graphs, not so much statistics. I miss Vinny/Jeff quicklooks.

SoundChaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SoundChaser
@y2ken said:

I'm into statistics and graphs also. I presume the formatting on the video length graph is h:m, would be interesting to maybe break those bars up and colour them based on video category. Then we could see things like which videos tend to be longest (I imagine those upper tier videos are the likes of Mario Party Party and the few special feature-length streams they've done).

Yeah, it's hh:mm. That's a cool idea, I'll definitely put that on my to-do list. I've already got some other ideas as well, right now I want to make a date slider that lets you select a period of time and the graphs show data from that period only. Will be a little more work since I think I'll have to send a timestamp for each data point to the browser, but I think the end result will be interesting enough to be worth it.

By the way, the stats on the page should, at least in theory, update automatically. I've set it up in such a way that the server pulls in new videos from the GB API every day and also checks for new data on QLCrew. I've been busy with cleaning up the project over the weekend (moved the database access stuff to SQLAlchemy), so feature-wise I've not done much, but new features should be much easier to implement now.

Also, I should probably add to the site that the person data is only from Quick Looks, Bombastica and Unfinished videos. Premium videos (which are a pretty sizeable portion) and other features are not included.

Another thing, more than half of the site's videos (4602 vs 5196 trailers) are actually trailers and I've excluded them from the stats because they're not very interesting, stats-wise (they're almost always short, they make the graphs look uglier and are not original content).