Giantbomb Steam Curation

Tiny1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just noticed that a couple of Youtube personalities that I follow, specifically TotalBiscuit and Northerlion, have just launched their own curated lists for Steam with online publications such as PC Gamer and Kotaku following suit. With this I have to wonder if we might see curated Steam pages from Giantbomb. I personally think it would be pretty cool if the individual members had their own pages as their tastes in games do vary, but an all-inclusive Giantbomb Steam list would be cool as well. It would be just another way to get some of the great games such as Gang Beasts and Mount Your Friends a little more exposure while also giving new members a taste of the games that Giantbomb has really liked over the years.

Of course, I can understand if they are hesitant to do this, as they will be actively promoting sales for games that they like, but as a website that provides criticism on games, I feel like promoting sales for good games is inherent to what they do. Anyways, I wanted to see what the other duders thought the idea of Giantbomb having their own Steam list(s), and also what they thought of the Steam Curation program as a whole. It is a very new feature, so if you need information about it, just visit your Steam homepage and you should find a link to the new features of Steam, which has a description of the curated pages.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff's already made a group so they can do that.

As for what I think of the Curation thing as a whole, I don't really see the point. It just seems like the review system that already exists there but applied to groups instead of individual members. Personally I think Valve should be working on cutting away some of that fat rather than adding more kinda useless clutter to the system.

Tiny1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ahh, never saw the group, so I guess that answers that question. I see your point about it being a bit redundant with reviews, and yes, it does add more clutter to an already convoluted site. However, I like the idea of leaving curation of their site to people that consumers trust instead of trying to do it themselves.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@friendlyphoenix: The Giant Bomb web destination has one hell of a list going there.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Personally, I'd prefer individual curated lists from each member of the staff. Their tastes don't necessarily all fit together.

I suppose it could work alright, but I might be more inclined to check out "Drew's PC picks" or "Rorie's PC picks" than a generic Giant Bomb list.

(I can just imagine what Dan might recommend on Steam. heh)

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

If they do hopefully they let us know (not on Twitter because I barely use that) because I'd follow them

That being said, the site tends to be enough so I don't see this as a necessity.