God of War 3 or Ghost of Sparta?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RE_Player1

So I just finished Chains of Olympus and I played the collection awhile ago so I'm trying to decide what to play next? Should I continue playing the games in order of their release or will playing Ghost of Sparta first add something more to God of War 3?

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Playing them in order of release makes the most sense

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Spoonman671

I haven't played Ghost of Sparta, but I've heard that playing that game gives you a better understanding of some of the relationships between Kratos and other characters in God of War 3.  It probably doesn't really matter, but I would suggest playing Ghost of Sparta first.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By GoofyGoober

Play number 3 and then ghost of sparta. Technically isn't GOS a prequel to the whole series? 

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RE_Player1
@GoofyGoober GOS is set between God of War 1 and 2.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By Icemael

III is the worst game in the series (with the possible exception of the first God of War, which is the only I haven't played). Ghost of Sparta is superior in pretty much every way. Except graphics, obviously.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RE_Player1
@Icemael Ya I heard God of War 3 was the weakest of them all. Would you think playing GOS first would help my enjoyment of 3? Also if you ever do end up playing the first one just make sure you keep in mind it is the first in the series you will have a fantastic time.
GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By GoofyGoober
@RE_Player92: Ohhhh ok, my bad then.
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@RE_Player92:
 GOS then 3.  3 amps everything up so playing a PS3 game then a psp game would be weird.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Icemael
@RE_Player92: I don't think playing Ghost of Sparta would further your enjoyment of III in the least.

You should still play it, though. It's good.
Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Djeffers03
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RsistncE
@Icemael said:
" III is the worst game in the series (with the possible exception of the first God of War, which is the only I haven't played). Ghost of Sparta is superior in pretty much every way. Except graphics, obviously. "
I actually felt the complete opposite: GoW1 was pretty epic but because I played GoW2 so much later it didn't pack much of a punch for me. On the other hand I thought GoW3 was incredible. It packed a vicious punch and was a great way to end Kratos' story.
Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tsoglani

Play Ghost of Sparta first, it sort of explains some of the animosity between Poseidon and Kratos. 

God of War 3 is still awesome, so make up your own mind when you play it, rather than letting other people's opinions sway you. It is one of the best games on PS3, imo.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Icemael
@RsistncE said:
" @Icemael said:
" III is the worst game in the series (with the possible exception of the first God of War, which is the only I haven't played). Ghost of Sparta is superior in pretty much every way. Except graphics, obviously. "
I actually felt the complete opposite: GoW1 was pretty epic but because I played GoW2 so much later it didn't pack much of a punch for me. On the other hand I thought GoW3 was incredible. It packed a vicious punch and was a great way to end Kratos' story. "
Visually it was amazing, and the puzzles were the best in the series (though that isn't saying much, lol), but I felt that everything else was just complete shit. Story, boss battles, weaponry, level design, even camerawork -- it was just a massive, massive disappointment.

I think I know why it was such a mess, too. A couple of weeks after I had finished it, I read that the previous games' directors had left the studio, and that the art director had been put in charge of the entire game. That's exactly what it felt like: a game made by someone who's great at making stuff look cool, but knows fuck-all about game design.
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@Icemael said:
" @RsistncE said:
" @Icemael said:
I actually felt the complete opposite: GoW1 was pretty epic but because I played GoW2 so much later it didn't pack much of a punch for me. On the other hand I thought GoW3 was incredible. It packed a vicious punch and was a great way to end Kratos' story. "
Visually it was amazing, and the puzzles were the best in the series (though that isn't saying much, lol), but I felt that everything else was just complete shit. Story, boss battles, weaponry, level design, even camerawork -- it was just a massive, massive disappointment.

I think I know why it was such a mess, too. A couple of weeks after I had finished it, I read that the previous games' directors had left the studio, and that the art director had been put in charge of the entire game. That's exactly what it felt like: a game made by someone who's great at making stuff look cool, but knows fuck-all about game design. "
I'd say that I disagree.  The only bad part for me was the story and it was bad in a good way.