GotG Round 1: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim vs. Left 4 Dead

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Edited By mracoon

Poll GotG Round 1: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim vs. Left 4 Dead (737 votes)

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 78%
Left 4 Dead 22%

Main thread

Full bracket

Insert "arrow to the knee" and "pills here" joke.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011)

What the community has to say:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim makes the debatable question of if video games can be considered art an [i]ndisputable yes. Skyrim is a video game rich with endless interpretation, emotion, attachment and fragile beauty – a masterpiece in the art of video games to be heralded for years to come.

From user review by @tempest

Left 4 Dead (2008)

What the community has to say:

You will put tons of hours into this game. If you have any doubts about getting this game then you should slap yourself and go pick it up. Valve continues to keep producing some of the best quality games these days. Left 4 Dead is a great homage to horror films and a brilliant video game. If we get lots more games of this quality in the future, then the future is looking bright for the video game industry!

From user review by @thunderpin

Voting closes at midnight GMT / 4pm PST Thursday.

• 
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#51  Edited By Yummylee

Haven't played either... Really wish these polls had a ''See results'' option, for those in my predicament. Although from the comments I would imagine that Skyrim is winning pretty heavily up there.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By RazielCuts

If this were Left 4 Dead 2 there'd be no question as that games multiplayer hit me in a very special place and I've sunk over 500+ hours into it, Scavenge 4 Lyfe, bra'.

I played 100+ hours plus of Skyrim and I don't know, man. It wasn't because of the story, it wasn't because of the characters and it wasn't because of the combat. I thought the main story quest was pretty boring and I actually haven't finished it, it just fizzled out for me.

I don't know why I played it for so long, I think I just like Bethesda's worlds. Just exploring around, doing whatev's and hunting out every nook and cranny uncovering cool stuff. There are some cool story arcs, like Oblivion, the Assassins Guild, Thieves Guild, Mages Guild. I don't know *shrugs*, tis a toughie.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@yummylee said:

Haven't played either... Really wish these polls had a ''See results'' option, for those in my predicament. Although from the comments I would imagine that Skyrim is winning pretty heavily up there.

79 - 21 at the moment.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#54  Edited By jakob187

I cannot believe Left 4 Dead is going to lose this. Skyrim was/is buggy as fuck, and unless you are playing it on PC, it has a finite amount of pleasure to behold in it. Left 4 Dead is a dynamic multiplayer game with multiple modes that has gone on to influence multiple games in the industry, the latest of which would be Call of Duty: Ghosts' Extinction mode. The only honest thing that I think Skyrim (and other Elder Scrolls games) has influenced in the industry...is for other developers to not use the Gamebryo engine.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@jakob187 said:

The only honest thing that I think Skyrim (and other Elder Scrolls games) has influenced in the industry...is for other developers to not use the Gamebryo engine.

... except the next Dragon Age game is very clearly Skyrim inspired. It's one of the most successful RPGs of all time and a lot of the big ones going forward are going to be taking notes.

A bit silly to criticize a game as having "finite" content when it has hundreds of hours of it, plus DLC and yes an incredible modding community (which Bethesda supports and encourages).

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Ok, I thought about it, and I had to vote for Left 4 Dead, despite TES being one of my favorite series. Not surprised to see it's losing this, though.

thefeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I took long vacations to Skyrim....If my chair had a toilet I wouldn't have gotten out of it. L4D is not bad.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

@artisanbreads: "Hundreds of hours" of gameplay and a modding community as an argument work for Left 4 Dead just as well. Beyond that, I understand this is all coming down to personal feelings towards a game. I personally think that Left 4 Dead is the superior product in this respect. I just know that it won't win, and that makes me so ridiculously sad.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Skyrim is one of the few games I whole fully obsessed over. So, that.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Skyrim shows why it's the dragonborn by winning with a hefty 79% of the vote and 730 votes cast.