GotG Round 3: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots vs. Portal 2

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

• 
RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

You people are crazy! MGS4 is way better!

Portal 2 is pretty good though.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#52  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I like MGS4. I love Portal 2.

MGS4 is in my top 20 favorite games from this past gen. Portal 2 is in my top 5.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By artelinarose

@buneroid said:

MGS4 is losing? You people make me sick.

If Portal 2 wins over MGS4 I will throw up. Fallout 3 over Witcher 2 was already too much.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buneroid said:

If Portal 2 wins over MGS4 I will throw up. Fallout 3 over Witcher 2 was already too much.

I would be near a toilet when the polls close, then, cause this is pretty much decided.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artelinarose said:

@buneroid said:

I would be near a toilet when the polls close, then, cause this is pretty much decided.

IM GONNA THROW UP ON YOU

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@boringk said:

I must be the only person who likes the MGS series but found MGS4 incredibly disappointing. Portal 2 all the way (ALTHOUGH, I would agree with the opinion that it should've been the first Portal in the bracket).

Loading Video...

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By TowerSixteen

@towersixteen said:

@artelinarose said:

@buneroid said:

IM GONNA THROW UP ON YOU

No need for that! I was already on my way to do just that over the SMG vs Fallout 3 poll. Can't we all just puke together in harmony, as God intended? Look, I brought Andes mints!

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Gotta go with Portal 2 since Portal 1 isn't still active . Portal 2 was basically Portal redone with a bigger budget and ambition anyway

AlecOfTheWest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By AlecOfTheWest

Haven't played MGS4 (should I?), so I didn't vote, bit Portal 2 did a good job of boring the hell out of me. Valve's style of always being in control of the protag makes interaction with other characters extremely boring. I prefer cutscenes, although maybe not to the extent of MGS's.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By gatehouse

SPAAAAAAAAAAACE!

aerobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By aerobie

I have to give this one to Portal 2. While I really loved the last 2/3 or so of MGS4's ridiculous story, the beginning had trouble keeping my interest, while Portal 2 had me fucking hooked from the very beginning, and it lasted the whole way through.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

@kain55 said:

Wow this was a super hard decision, but Portal 2 is winning handily? That seems insane to me. I love the shit out of Portal 2, but MGS 4 maybe the single most insane and entertaining experience of this generation.

I fell like (and not to insult anyone that likes MGS) that Portal 2 was overall just a really funny game. And as has been established it's really really hard to make a funny game. It's way easier to just insert random story-beats into a game to make it insane. Also, Portal 2 was a really polished game-game. The mechanics were fun, the puzzles clever and the evolution from Portal 1 to Portal 2 was very very noticable.

As someone that hasn't played a single Metal Gear Solid-Game and only hearing about it from others it feels like that game is mostly liked for being somewhat crazy while Portal 2 hits the hatrick of Funny+Gameplay+Production Value.

But that's just me. And I am obviously biased since I loved Portal 2 (and I actually prefer Portal 2 over Portal 1).

Muddy_Cheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel bad because I never played MGS and I am sure I would think that it is an incredible game, but with that being said I really really really enjoyed Portal 2.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Portal 2 is a damn near perfect game.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This here people is what's commonly known as a travesty.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

MGS 4 Final Fight is the best moment this gen

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By NTM

I think Portal 2's a superb game, but MGS4 on this one should win. Portal's one of my favorite games this generation I believe, but MGS4 is one of my favorite games ever.

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I consider myself a huge Metal Gear Solid fan, but man, MGS4 is a huge fuckin' mess. It's great when it actually lets you play, but half of the time you're just sitting there watching some of the most trite, convoluted, hamfisted story delivered in incredibly stilted gobbledygook.

And I thought MGS2 was a masterpiece!

Fuck Johnny and his entire romance angle with Meryl

Fuck Naomi and Otacon wailing over her like a bitch

Fuck THE WAR ECONOMY and PROXY WARS and NANOMACHINES hour-long dialogue

Fuck Big Boss actually being alive and then dying and then speechifying for 15 fuckin' minutes before actually dying

Fuck the whole Ocelot convincing himself to be Liquid angle

Fuck not having the balls to actually have Snake go out like the tragic hero he was supposed to be

There should have been more actively affecting the dynamic battlefields while sneaking, more Raiden destroying Metal Gears, more Liquid Ocelot being a glorious bastard, more B&B encounters, more controlling REX, more Metal Gear fights, and more insane climactic old-man fist fights. The microwave hall was also amazing, but it was fine having just one of those!

If only MGS4 focused on being more of a goddamn video game, it would probably be in my top 5 games of all time. All the cringe-inducing stupidity sunk it for me that it's not even in my top 20 all time list.

This post of mine ties everything I love and hate about that game - http://kambyero.com/2013/07/29/was-metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots-worth-the-wait/

Portal 2 was a much better Portal which was a great game (although the sequel isn't as charming), so that easily gets my vote.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BARFFFFFFFFFF

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS4 as I haven't played Portal 2.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#71  Edited By hermes

Portal 2 ending has awe inspiring and genius writing.

MGS 4 ending left a pretty sour taste in my mouth, to the point it hurt my entire experience with the game.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Portal 2 teleports into the next round with 61% of the vote and 879 votes cast.