GotG thread, how are you voting?

• 61 results
veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Poll GotG thread, how are you voting? (282 votes)

I am voting for the game I like better 85%
I am voting for the game that is more influential 11%
I am voting for upsets without caring what the games are 1%
I am not voting or am not going to tell you (Show results) 3%

I won't pretend like the conversation here is particularly uncivil, aside from a few f-bombs, but people voting down CoD: 4 seems to have perplexed a lot of people who saw it as an obvious winner (never mind that Skyrim was also hugely popular). The reason, it seems to me, is that we have two kinds of voters. Feel free to discuss which is right, but I don't care to. I just want to know what the split is.

• 
CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By CaLe

Voting for the most influential would be exceedingly boring. We would have people looking up sales figures, going through lists of games with similar features and drawing parallels, arguing over whether one game was influenced by another, and on and on. What a boring conversation that would inspire. I'm not saying the current situation is inspiring a more enlightened discourse, but at least it's not as boring as that.

That said, I've played 58 of the 64 games and in most cases can choose the game I enjoyed more. I can see someone who has played fewer games justifiably resorting to voting for what they believe is the most influential game.

(Justifiably Resorting is the name of my new JRPG)

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I'm voting for whatever game I enjoyed most, simple as that. Sure, Minecraft has had a massive impact on gaming, doesn't mean I'd ever vote for it over something like Pac-Man CE:DX.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'm kinda doing both. With some games, it's hard to know whether or not they'll actually be influential, but believe that they are. So mostly, I'm looking at it from the perspective of "am I going to look back at this game 5-10 years from now and think 'What a hell of a video game. Man.'" Now, this can get weird sometimes. I think The Last of Us is probably one of the best(and let's say that best and greatest are different because I don't know if TLOU will be important at all) games of the generation, but I will never see it the same way I see something like Mega Man. I will never just casually(or probably in any other way) pop in TLOU for a trip down memory lane and overall enjoyable experience. But I think that goes for most games this generation.

That said, I don't like Call of Duty. At all. But COD 4 being knocked out by Skyrim? That's very questionable to me. I would say that game deserves to still be in this competition, especially over Skyrim.

The only other game that I think really deserves to still be in right now is League of Legends. Say what you want about the game, but it's the biggest game in the world. It ushered in MOBAs, it's leading the charge for esports, and it's practically a paragon of free to play. LoL is practically spearheading three industry movements, two which are pretty important. And again, it's fucking gigantic.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I vote for the one I like more and might be losing. Basically what I think matters to me most about the generation and what I want to encourage to have more of. In Call of Duty 4 vs Skyrim's case, I just didn't care much for Call of Duty and the kind of games it influenced, while Oblivion and Skyrim and their modding community impacted my life (and I think many others' too) in a pretty big way.

Anyway, if everyone is judging by influence on the industry alone, Angry Birds or Wii Sports would probably win...

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AMyggen

I'm voting for the better game. How influential the game has been factors into that to some degree, but the more subjective "do I think this is the best game" is what I'm voting with. COD MW might be the most influential game of this gen, but I think Skyrim is a better game for what it's trying to do. So I voted Skyrim.

MW is a LOT more influential than Dark Souls, but I still regard Dark Souls to be the best game of this generation.

Avatar image for omniscientcajun
omniscientcajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I voiced my uncertainty with this quandary in the main GotG thread a handful of days ago, the issue of judging my like of a game against my perceived importance of it. I tend to fall more toward influence/importance (I voted for LoL despite not having played it, and really liking Dota 2). But there are times where my liking of a game is just too strong that it outweighs all attempts at truly objective evaluation of importance.

So, yeah, it's a mix? I think it just comes down to the person and what is important to them. People vote how they want the generation to be remembered. Judging by the poll results, it seems that the resounding thought is in a few years, people saying "Remember how flippin' awesome that game was?" is of more value than "This one was a game-changer." Or something like that.

Either way, I'm really enjoying all the discourse and of course all the work that @mracoon has put in and continues to put in. Really fun to appreciate the past 8 years while evaluating what the next generation has to offer.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HH

who can say for sure what's influential? nobody really has the oversight to see these things except in broad general patterns, and even still, to use it as a benchmark for greatness doesn't make a lot of sense to me, the craft is too varied to administer grades to in that way.

my personal preference is far from rock solid of course, it changes over time, and a lot of what people like or don't like comes down to timing, sometimes you're in the mood and you fall in love with garbage, sometimes you're cranky and you dismiss greatness, but expressing your gut response is, to me, just a lot more in tune with how unscientific and unclassifiable entertainment is.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hh said:

my personal preference is far from rock solid of course, it changes over time, and a lot of what people like or don't like comes down to timing, sometimes you're in the mood and you fall in love with garbage, sometimes you're cranky and you dismiss greatness, but expressing your gut response is, to me, just a lot more in tune with how unscientific and unclassifiable entertainment is.

Words of wisdom right here.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By TruthTellah

More influential from my perspective, because if I just went off my favorite games of the generation, they'd almost all be absent from the voting at this point. I think most of these comparisons are of games that are not even comparable on a personal preference level, because really, you like different games for different reasons. Yet, I can at least try to look at how gaming has changed over time and consider what may be more influential of the two titles.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personal preference.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like that picture but totally don't get what you're saying at all. (And I don't even know what it is)

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By medacris

I'm opting not to vote. I often have several "favorites" of any given medium, all of which I get a different enjoyment out of. Rarely do I think any of them is "the best" more than any other, I can't think of any medium where I have read, watched, or played something where I've thought "Yes, this thing is completely without flaws, there is not a single trope or story convention that bothers me, everything I like is in here, not a single piece of flimsy writing or design..."

Also, I found in this gen that a lot of games I liked were sort of soured in my mind by running into total jerkbags online while playing. Nothing the devs did that was wrong, but the jerkbags did steer me away from playing certain things for awhile.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Bit of both. For the Portal 2 vs Batman match, I finished and loved Portal 2 and I'd only played and an hour of Batman but I think Batman should. I think it's a better game and influential more than Portal 2.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By phrosnite

Most games I like are the best anyway :D

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By chiablo

Solaire needs your votes:

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm voting for the game I liked better.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been voting for the game that I feel is more influential and I'm surprised that people are just voting for the games that they like better

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personal preference unless i never/barely played either choice.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I'm voting simply to troll everybody else.

I'm simply fabulous.
I'm simply fabulous.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale said:

We would have people looking up sales figures, going through lists of games with similar features and drawing parallels, arguing over whether one game was influenced by another, and on and on.

This to me is what I thought the 'Game of the Generation' would be, it's a lofty title so why not take a serious (albeit more boring to some) approach to it. Hell, its GB, *thee* wiki on games, we should be able to draw parallels between games and say which is better. The RPG mechanics found in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare set a new era in multiplayer FPS's but then Modern Warfare 2 arguably expanded open this foundation with more features and expanded customization. I'd love to have that conversation, about all games, looking back and seeing what actually changed the course of video games in this generation and made it different from the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era.

At the start having stuff like Fable II Vs. Rock Band made the whole thing moot. Were they even attempting to do the same thing? No. So can you hold 'it not being an RPG' against Rock Band or vice versa. Now though we are getting into the actual conversations - Walking Dead vs the Last of Us. Mechanically different games but thematically similar. Who did a better job at representing that type of world? Which was more successful in making you care about your companions? Having a child in the forefront of the action, did they manage to convey the tone and character qualities of a child or did it just come off as ham-fisted? etc etc

I don't know, those conversations are fun to me but maybe I'm 'boring'.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CaLe

@razielcuts said:

@cale said:

We would have people looking up sales figures, going through lists of games with similar features and drawing parallels, arguing over whether one game was influenced by another, and on and on.

This to me is what I thought the 'Game of the Generation' would be, it's a lofty title so why not take a serious (albeit more boring to some) approach to it. Hell, its GB, *thee* wiki on games, we should be able to draw parallels between games and say which is better.

The RPG mechanics found in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare set a new era in multiplayer FPS's but then Modern Warfare 2 arguably expanded open this foundation with more features and expanded customization

. I'd love to have that conversation, about all games, looking back and seeing what actually changed the course of video games in this generation and made it different from the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era.

At the start having stuff like Fable II Vs. Rock Band made the whole thing moot. Were they even attempting to do the same thing? No. So can you hold 'it not being an RPG' against Rock Band or vice versa. Now though we are getting into the actual conversations - Walking Dead vs the Last of Us. Mechanically different games but thematically similar. Who did a better job at representing that type of world? Which was more successful in making you care about your companions? Having a child in the forefront of the action, did they manage to convey the tone and character qualities of a child or did it just come off as ham-fisted? etc etc

The conversations you mention in the last paragraph are about subjective quality, not measurable influence. Deciding which game is most influential heavily favors a discussion of quantity over quality. How many sales, how any people play/ed it, how many games copied it, etc. The conversations you want are the type most pertinent to a different kind of discussion altogether, one of comparing thematically similar games or same genre games to each other. That was never the goal of this, and even if it was a poll to decide the most influential game, those conversation would be lost because they aren't relevant to establishing the measurable influence of a game, or are peripheral to doing so at best.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale said:

@razielcuts said:

@cale said:

This to me is what I thought the 'Game of the Generation' would be, it's a lofty title so why not take a serious (albeit more boring to some) approach to it. Hell, its GB, *thee* wiki on games, we should be able to draw parallels between games and say which is better.

The RPG mechanics found in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare set a new era in multiplayer FPS's but then Modern Warfare 2 arguably expanded open this foundation with more features and expanded customization

. I'd love to have that conversation, about all games, looking back and seeing what actually changed the course of video games in this generation and made it different from the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era.

The conversations you mention in the last paragraph are about subjective quality, not measurable influence. Deciding which game is most influential heavily favors a discussion of quantity over quality. How many sales, how any people play/ed it, how many games copied it, etc. Those conversations you want are the type most pertinent to a different kind of discussion altogether, one of comparing thematically similar games or same genre games to each other. That was never the goal of this, and even if it was a poll to decide the most influential game, those conversation would be lost because they aren't relevant to establishing the measurable influence of a game, or are peripheral at best.

I also think that when you start talking about a question as sophisticated as that, the people you're polling are not qualified to respond. What they are qualified to tell you is what they liked.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By triviaman09

If it were most influential game of the generation, League of Legends and Farmville should have been strong contenders.

Edit: Also, I'm not voting for the game I like better, I'm voting for the game I think is better. It's a subtle but key distinction.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By mosespippy

I'm only voting in brackets where I've played both games. I'm voting for the game I like better in hindsight. Stuff like Uncharted 2, GTAV and Red Dead are great in the moment but in hindsight I have serious problems with them. The Dark Souls and Sleeping Dogs of the world are both great in the moment and in hindsight.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i typically move my mouse cursor over the radio button of the game i want to vote for, click to fill it in, then click on the Vote button.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If we were voting for most influential in this gen, basically we could all just write in Call of Duty 4 and call it a day.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@cale said:

@razielcuts said:

@cale said:

The conversations you mention in the last paragraph are about subjective quality, not measurable influence. Deciding which game is most influential heavily favors a discussion of quantity over quality. How many sales, how any people play/ed it, how many games copied it, etc. Those conversations you want are the type most pertinent to a different kind of discussion altogether, one of comparing thematically similar games or same genre games to each other. That was never the goal of this, and even if it was a poll to decide the most influential game, those conversation would be lost because they aren't relevant to establishing the measurable influence of a game, or are peripheral at best.

I also think that when you start talking about a question as sophisticated as that, the people you're polling are not qualified to respond. What they are qualified to tell you is what they liked.

This is more or less the greater perspective governing the reality of this bracket. Even if we wanted to stage a question that academic, the knowledge base of the demographic involved in the deliberations derives from fandom, not from critical study, so a lot of the discussions become skewed categorically.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BRich

@punkxblaze said:

If we were voting for most influential in this gen, basically we could all just write in Call of Duty 4 and call it a day.

Actually my top 6 picks for the GotG would also make an awesome "Most Influential" bracket.

Call of Duty 4 vs. League of Legends vs. Braid vs. Mass Effect 1

Honorable mention: Portal, The Walking Dead

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The better game.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By Captain_Insano

My votes are a bit of a combination. Mostly the influential ones are the ones I like anyway. For the close calls I'm going for the influential ones (which is why I'd actually favour Portal over Portal 2; also why I think CoD4 should continue). The other thing that I think is difficult for a lot of people is to separate current feelings about a franchise from feelings of the past (CoD is the best example of this)

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm voting purely based on what I think is a better game. If this was most influential, we would just give it to Call of Duty 4 and this whole thing would be pointless.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Fredchuckdave

I'm voting on the one that was on less platforms.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By pr1mus

I'm voting for the game i like the best because that's the one that provided me with the most entertainment. Influence be damned, i want entertainment and if the most influential game in the world isn't entertaining then it failed.

Avatar image for mightymayormike
MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus said:

I'm voting for the game i like the best because that's the one that provided me with the most entertainment. Influence be damned, i want entertainment and if the most influential game in the world isn't entertaining then it failed.

Same. I'm voting based on my personal enjoyment of the games. Whether or not it was influential isn't very meaningful to me.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I don't think the game of the generation needs to be the most influential. I think games like Skyrim and Oblivion would be more influential if they weren't so difficult to make. Where as making a multiplayer game with RPG mechanics is a lot easier idea to copy.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I see a lot of people voting with "Well I really liked game x but I spent more time with game y so game y wins"

That's not right

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I vote for the game I like more, but if I'm inclined to believe that a game will be influential in a positive way, then that makes me like it more.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The game I like more. Since round 3 I think only 1 or 2 of the games I voted for got through. You're all wrong.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Influential, because I am PISSED that Angry Birds and Minecraft aren't winning everything.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I am voting for the game that is more influential. Because the games I like more lose anyway.

sjwho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course I'm voting for the game I like.

But lets be honest Game of the Generation? That's kind of a big thing to put on a single game. WoW or CoD probably had the most effect on other games, but people kind of hate them now so they won't win.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I think I voted for the one thing because I haven't played a lot of these damn games.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I'm voting for what I believe to be critically objectively better, not what I like better. Influence is but one criteria among several.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sjwho2: Why wasn't WoW on the list again? Was it shot down in prelims?

OLph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think WoW wasn't on the list because it was released in North America 2 months too early.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

1. I only vote if I played both games
  2. I vote for whichever I enjoyed more

Mind-blowing insights right there.