Goty 2014: #5 Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition

ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Edited By ht101

Welcome back to my countdown to the Game of the Year in 2014. If you've missed any of my entries, click on the links right here:

#6, #7, #8, #9, #10 and HM

Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition

The tale for me playing Guacamelee is a simple one: I had just gotten my Xbox One and was in need of games to play. This game was coming out and I was very excited to play it because the Quick Look was very promising, I enjoy games in the MetroidVania category and watching professional wrestling is also a hobby of mine.

No Caption Provided

My time starting up the game and starting it was a lot of fun. Instead of giving you an abilitease, like so many of these games do, you start out as a big loser who can't do anything. You are then killed by the villain of the game and then resurrected with the powers of a lucha libre wrestler. As you move through the game you get new moves that not only aid in combat but also assist you in moving around the world. The combat in this game is really well done and super fun to engage in. The way you have to use the various abilities you learn to make it through combat are really well done and it allows you to work them to your advantage. I will say that if you are color blind in any way, you may have some problem since the various moves you learn are color coded(yellow, blue, red, green and purple) so be aware of this as you start the game.

The other part of the game is the platforming. When you make your way through the game, each new move adds another level of complexity to the game. When you mess up doing one of the platforming sections, you know that it's your fault and you try and figure out how to fix it so you make it through the next time. When you finally make it through, you get a burst of pride from the knowledge that you were able to complete the various moves perfectly so you can make it through. The part where you are moving through the mountain was an amazingly well done section and one that was a lot of fun to move through.

No Caption Provided

The game is one that is fun and well worth your time, so find a way to play this game. I don't have anything that held me back from loving this game, but all of the games above this one were just more fun to play.

One thing to add: if you have the option, please play the Super Turbo Championship Edition. You get two new areas and the challenge arenas in El Infierno will reward you for being perfect with every move in your arsenal.

Thanks for reading and come back tomorrow when we drive toward the horizon for a second time.