Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Demo Impressions

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By calidan777

So the other night I downloaded the GT5 Time Trial demo to try and get an early taste of GT5 before it hits next year (hopefully).Now before I go any further let me say that, like most racing fans, the GT series was my introduction to racing sims. I spent a good portion of my life playing the first two GT games and loved every minute of it. But by the time GT 3 & 4 hit they just felt like more of the same. And then Forza Motorsport came along and stole GT's thunder (for me anyway).
     Forza Motorsport on the Xbox really sucked me in when it first hit because it had all the things that GT had and more, it took the racing sim genre to the next level. Fast forward to early 2007 when I bought my PS3 and the first thing I did once it was hooked up was download the GT Concept demo. I was floored. The graphics in that original demo were amazing (although the gameplay still felt kind of dated). Even when Forza Motorsport 2 shipped a few months later, it couldn't stack up to the GT Concept demo graphically.
     So here we are, almost 3 years later and the roles have reversed yet again. Forza Motorsport 3 shipped back in October sporting some of the best looking visuals ever seen in a racing game and tons of new features that manage to push forward a genre that has been stale for quite some time. And while the jury is still out as far as GT5's feature set is concerned, if the new GT5 Time Trial demo is represntitive of the final game, then Forza 3 has won the graphics battle hands down. The first thing that I noticed when I fired up the GT5 demo yesterday was that, compared to Forza 3, the graphics looked almost cartoony. Now I know I'm gonna get flmaed for that comment, and I don't mean literally cartoony, I just mean that the graphics lack the complexity that Forza 3 has. Everything from the cockpit view to the enviroments just didn't look up to par. I would even venture to say that it doesn't even look as good as that old GT Concept demo.
     The controls felt fine, though it was really hard to tell since it was just one car. Ultimately I'm gonna hold my final verdict for when the full game ships, because I hope it's worth the wait. But this isn't a good sign if polyphony is looking to recapture their crown.

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By calidan777

So the other night I downloaded the GT5 Time Trial demo to try and get an early taste of GT5 before it hits next year (hopefully).Now before I go any further let me say that, like most racing fans, the GT series was my introduction to racing sims. I spent a good portion of my life playing the first two GT games and loved every minute of it. But by the time GT 3 & 4 hit they just felt like more of the same. And then Forza Motorsport came along and stole GT's thunder (for me anyway).
     Forza Motorsport on the Xbox really sucked me in when it first hit because it had all the things that GT had and more, it took the racing sim genre to the next level. Fast forward to early 2007 when I bought my PS3 and the first thing I did once it was hooked up was download the GT Concept demo. I was floored. The graphics in that original demo were amazing (although the gameplay still felt kind of dated). Even when Forza Motorsport 2 shipped a few months later, it couldn't stack up to the GT Concept demo graphically.
     So here we are, almost 3 years later and the roles have reversed yet again. Forza Motorsport 3 shipped back in October sporting some of the best looking visuals ever seen in a racing game and tons of new features that manage to push forward a genre that has been stale for quite some time. And while the jury is still out as far as GT5's feature set is concerned, if the new GT5 Time Trial demo is represntitive of the final game, then Forza 3 has won the graphics battle hands down. The first thing that I noticed when I fired up the GT5 demo yesterday was that, compared to Forza 3, the graphics looked almost cartoony. Now I know I'm gonna get flmaed for that comment, and I don't mean literally cartoony, I just mean that the graphics lack the complexity that Forza 3 has. Everything from the cockpit view to the enviroments just didn't look up to par. I would even venture to say that it doesn't even look as good as that old GT Concept demo.
     The controls felt fine, though it was really hard to tell since it was just one car. Ultimately I'm gonna hold my final verdict for when the full game ships, because I hope it's worth the wait. But this isn't a good sign if polyphony is looking to recapture their crown.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By beargirl1

good read. I downloaded it but I have yet to try it. Kind of disappointed that it doesn't look as good as Prologue. 

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By calidan777
@AjayRaz said:
" good read. I downloaded it but I have yet to try it. Kind of disappointed that it doesn't look as good as Prologue.  "
If you watch videos of it on the internet it looks fine, but playing it on my Sharp 1080p LED tv, it just disappointed me. I'm hoping that the final game looks better though, maybe the demo is just an early build.
Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Absolutely on the same boat. I played the demo a while ago, and yeah. The only thing I liked, and this is stretching it, was the hand animations when turning, but that's IT. Forza can do everything better as far as I am concerned, let's just hope thats not the case, I really want GT5 to be amazing.

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By calidan777
@BestUsernameEver said:
" Absolutely on the same boat. I played the demo a while ago, and yeah. The only thing I liked, and this is stretching it, was the hand animations when turning, but that's IT. Forza can do everything better as far as I am concerned, let's just hope thats not the case, I really want GT5 to be amazing. "
Lol, yeah I went back and played it again after I wrote this just to be sure (ironically, I too was some what impressed with the hand animations ) and came away with the same feelings. I even redownloaded that old GT HD Concept demo for comparisons sake and I still think it looks better than the new one. But I'm totally with ya on hoping that the final game is amazing.
teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@calidan777: It's something about the colors that makes it less realistic to me than, say, GT 5 Prologue, even.  Forza's car models always looked cartoony, because of the colors.  Maybe, it's all in my head...  I liked the handling of the car though.
calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By calidan777
@teh_pwnzorer said:
" @calidan777: It's something about the colors that makes it less realistic to me than, say, GT 5 Prologue, even.  Forza's car models always looked cartoony, because of the colors.  Maybe, it's all in my head... "
Is GT5 Prologue pretty much the same as the old GT HD Concept demo? I never played Prologue because I was holding out for GT5.
EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By EVO
@calidan777 said:
" if the new GT5 Time Trial demo is represntitive of the final game, then Forza 3 has won the graphics battle hands down. "
It's not.

It wasn't released to show the graphics, but the physics, which most people agree are awesome.
teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@calidan777: I haven't played the GT HD Concept demo, so I don't know. :(
calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By calidan777
@EVO said:
" @calidan777 said:
" if the new GT5 Time Trial demo is represntitive of the final game, then Forza 3 has won the graphics battle hands down. "
It's not.  It wasn't released to show the graphics, but the physics, which most people agree are awesome. "
Well that's good news : )
Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Nasar7

You do realize the Time Trial is about 200 megabytes??

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By calidan777
@Nasar7 said:
" You do realize the Time Trial is about 200 megabytes?? "
Yeah
Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nasar7
@calidan777 said:
" @Nasar7 said:
Yeah "
So obviously the visuals are extremely compressed and not representative of the final product.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Akeldama
@Nasar7 said:
" @calidan777 said:
" @Nasar7 said:
Yeah "
So obviously the visuals are extremely compressed and not representative of the final product. "
obviously. If it looks that good at only 200mb, imagine the full game. Its compressed as hell and is meant to show of the game's handling (which is amazing).
Avatar image for imayellowfellow
imayellowfellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By imayellowfellow

maybe its asking for too much but wouldnt have it been smart for polyphany digital to release some of that end product that could possibly draw in mainstream audiences who've watched 2 forza games be released while gt5 has been in development,  rather than release a 200mb demo that was purely focused on car physics and pretty much catered to a die hard niche audience,

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By calidan777
@imayellowfellow said:
" maybe its asking for too much but wouldnt have it been smart for polyphany digital to release some of that end product that could possibly draw in mainstream audiences who've watched 2 forza games be released while gt5 has been in development,  rather than release a 200mb demo that was purely focused on car physics and pretty much catered to a die hard niche audience, "
I agree, I mean, I'm gonna buy it anyway, but I really would have loved a demo that featured the final graphics just so I could at least get a taste of what the retail game is gonna look like.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Akeldama said:
" @Nasar7 said:
" @calidan777 said:
" @Nasar7 said:
Yeah "
So obviously the visuals are extremely compressed and not representative of the final product. "
obviously. If it looks that good at only 200mb, imagine the full game. Its compressed as hell and is meant to show of the game's handling (which is amazing). "
Considering there are 3 cars and 1 track (I think), how is it compressed as hell? I think people who expect better visuals will be very disappointed come next year. There may be some slight lighting improvements here and there but I doubt it will be anything too noticeable.
Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Reuben

Yeha the graphics look like shit but the driving does feel good so I'm happy about that.