• 102 results
#1 Edited by FortySixandTwo (43 posts) -

- The D-Pad was perfect, utterly flawless which was ruined with the S version and even worse with the 360 pad

- The analogs had perfect indentation

- The jelly bean structure of the face buttons made it easier to press x & b simultaneously than the diamond design, which is more close to the SNES gamepad

- It has every button & trigger dated for even current gen

#2 Posted by BigJeffrey (5169 posts) -

You're crazy.

#3 Posted by AndrewB (7689 posts) -

The only thing about the duke that I'd forgotten was the gigantic hideous Xbox logo in the center.

#4 Posted by ajamafalous (12145 posts) -

I disagree on all counts.

#5 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

This has got to be a troll post.

#6 Posted by FortySixandTwo (43 posts) -

@hailinel said:

it's not

#7 Posted by killacam (1288 posts) -

Maybe if you're in the NBA.

#8 Edited by FortySixandTwo (43 posts) -

@killacam said:

I'm a white jew

#9 Posted by TopSteer (677 posts) -

I can't agree with it being the greatest controller but I liked it and wish MS would've kept it around.

#10 Posted by DonPixel (2621 posts) -

Yeah, good times with the duke, not sure if best ever but one of the best ever: FUCK YEAH!

#11 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@hailinel said:

it's not

The fact that you call the D-pad perfect makes me really wonder.

#12 Edited by TruthTellah (9468 posts) -

This is monstrous.

I've seen posts today encouraging the destruction of Israel, but this makes me lose far more faith in humanity.

#13 Edited by FortySixandTwo (43 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@fortysixandtwo said:

@hailinel said:

it's not

The fact that you call the D-pad perfect makes me really wonder.

It fit perfectly into your thumb & was very good for fighting games like doa3

the circle indent in the middle of the pad made it so you never slipped

much like the original NES controller

it took the best elements from the NES, & SNES controller

#14 Posted by cloudymusic (1230 posts) -

I like the Duke more than most people, but man, some of the things that you're saying are just unconscionable.

#15 Edited by FortySixandTwo (43 posts) -

@cloudymusic said:

I like the Duke more than most people, but man, some of the things that you're saying are just unconscionable.

I don't see how, the only fault people say is that it's big (which I like)

They disregard the build quality completely. Analogs sticks were far superior to the 360 in every way, & same with the duke's circle D-Pad.

#16 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (1237 posts) -

Riiiiiight....

The duke was awful in my opinion, but whatever man, I'm glad someone likes it.

#17 Edited by egg (1469 posts) -

@fortysixandtwo said:

- The D-Pad was perfect, utterly flawless which was ruined with the S version and even worse with the 360 pad

- The analogs had perfect indentation

- The jelly bean structure of the face buttons made it easier to press x & b simultaneously than the diamond design, which is more close to the SNES gamepad

- It has every button & trigger dated for even current gen

2) why are the analogs indented differently?? Not to mention, you say they are perfect, but they obviously can't both be perfect if they aren't the same. (And what's funny is that the Controller S actually fixed this. It's amazing that even MS recognized their blunder with the Duke.)

3) You are not supposed to be able to press X and B simultaneously. But even putting that aside. By your logic, Gamecube is equally good (T shaped button layout) and, by your logic, the Dual Shock 2 is even better since it's easier to press all four shoulder buttons simultaneously.

4) So does Nintendo 64. :p

Here's a pic of the controller S (in reference to point number 2) and its beautiful symmetric thumbstick indentations

#18 Posted by Kaiserreich (740 posts) -

You can't tell me that the white & black buttons are well placed and a better alternative to bumpers.

#19 Edited by FortySixandTwo (43 posts) -

@egg: I still think the analog sticks on the DUKE are far superior to the S Controller because it wasn't just a plastic spring, making it harder to slip.

#20 Edited by AndrewB (7689 posts) -

The actual greatest gamepad was also made by Microsoft.

#21 Posted by Tajasaurus (969 posts) -

nah son those black and white buttons were a bad time

#22 Edited by FrankNelson (56 posts) -

This is the greatest of all time...

#23 Edited by Xeiphyer (5611 posts) -

Hahaha best troll topic name of the year.

Seriously though, the dpad is perfect? A perfect representation of absolute garbage design that isn't functional in any game you would want to use the dpad in? I'd agree with that point I guess.

#24 Posted by TheBluthCompany (422 posts) -

It's fantastic if you need to bludgeon a large animal to death. Like an elephant.

#25 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

How much pizza exactly does one have to have rubbed their hands upon to "slip" on a gamepad?

#26 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3981 posts) -
#27 Posted by PandaBear (1384 posts) -

The D-pad felt like one but button more than four defined directions. And the big Xbox logo in the middle didn't do anything. It should have glowed or something.

The face button also had such a small throw on them. No pop, just small squish.

It was bulk for the sake of bulk. But whatever, agree to disagree.

#28 Edited by Evilsbane (4735 posts) -

Yea like the fact the controller was MASSIVE and when I finally got a third party one that was smaller and an S holy shit I couldn't even use that thing anymore.

#29 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (3776 posts) -
#30 Edited by FortySixandTwo (43 posts) -

@egg: For a lot of games especially during the SNES days, pressing Y & A, and X & B simultaneously did special commands.

for Soul Calibur for the Dreamcast, it was necessary

#31 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

The actual king of controllers. Plebeians.

#32 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3981 posts) -

Yeah. The buttons in particular were just awful. They were like ovals and they were very high for no reason in particular. A lot of wasted space. Also black and white buttons??? C'mon.

#33 Posted by Superkenon (1505 posts) -

@andrewb: I had that thing. It wasn't bad, unless you were playing a game where it was important to use precise directional inputs. Then that analog pad was kind of a deal breaker.

#34 Posted by believer258 (12176 posts) -

The Duke has some serious problems but I like the way it feels in my hand.

#35 Posted by MormonWarrior (2658 posts) -

I bought one recently when I got an Xbox from my roommate for free and someone had replaced the joysticks with the S model ones. It was a lot better that way.

That controller really sucks though. I like the S since it feels so beefy next to the DualShock 2 and GameCube controller, but man...the duke was something else.

#36 Posted by Steadying (1471 posts) -

I'll be honest, I wasn't even aware this big ass Xbox controller even existed until about a month ago. Mine came with the smaller one and I thought that was the only one.

#37 Posted by Tom_omb (425 posts) -

I'm going to have to trust you on that, my experience with Duke was limited. My only time with that controller was a short in store demo, but I still recall it today, so I have to give it up for the Duke. That thing has presence.

My primary gaming input device in those years was this gem:

Nothing felt quite like it in your hands, I love those triggers and face button placement. I can't call it the best ever, though. It's so close to a modern controller, if only the C stick was on the level of the left stick and I can't fathom why Nintendo never thought to put the a matching Z shoulder button on the left.

#38 Posted by GorillaMoPena (2333 posts) -

The Duke was the best controller if someone broke into my house and I needed a weapon.

#39 Edited by FortySixandTwo (43 posts) -

This was actually going to be the Gamecube's controller back when it was called the Nintendo Dolphin.

to be honest, it's doesn't look bad

#40 Posted by egg (1469 posts) -

@egg: For a lot of games especially during the SNES days, pressing Y & A, and X & B simultaneously did special commands.

for Soul Calibur for the Dreamcast, it was necessary

But if none of those games can be played with the Duke then what is the point of mentioning them?

p.s. SNES games are old and fighting games don't count.

#41 Posted by aajf (224 posts) -

@fortysixandtwo: ...clearly just a hideous mockup pasted together from previous Nintendo controllers?

#42 Edited by GreggD (4515 posts) -

You can't tell me that the white & black buttons are well placed and a better alternative to bumpers.

This, pretty much.

#43 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -
#44 Posted by Pepsiman (2490 posts) -

The Atari Jaguar has all of your current gen ergonomic and button placement needs taken care of and then some. Duke ain't got shit on this work of art.

#45 Edited by Hunter5024 (5959 posts) -

The Duke was fucking terrible. The only thing I liked about it was that it was really big.

#46 Posted by katimanic (139 posts) -

The Duke just wasn't comfortable to hold, I would much rather have a concave back.

#47 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5977 posts) -

but...with the Kinect, I'm the controller.

#48 Edited by GERALTITUDE (3528 posts) -

The duke was awesome. But it sucked.

#49 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3981 posts) -

@fortysixandtwo said:

This was actually going to be the Gamecube's controller back when it was called the Nintendo Dolphin.

to be honest, it's doesn't look bad

Certainly better than the abomination they decided to use. That D-Pad alignment looks whacky though.

@killacam said:

That's another thing. I hear people say "if you have big hands this is the best controller" and I do and don't get it at all. I mean I have no issue with the size of it but when I use a regular Xbox 360 controller, or the S for the OG Xbox, or the PlayStation Dualshock, I never have thought that the controller was too small. Don't get it at all.

#50 Posted by fuzzypumpkin (389 posts) -

Wrong