Hard Work and Great Games

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I have now finished my first university year of computer games programming and my last week has been a mad rush to write code, finish documentation and hand everything in. For three days I didn’t even have the time to sleep but everything got done in the end. I think most people would be surprised by how hard a computers games programming course can be, the course leader definitely seems to think it’s the hardest course in the university and one of the hardest courses in the country but it’ll all be worth it is if this really can get me a job in the industry.

The source of so much joy.

With all my assignments out the way it’s hard to believe I have so much free time now and of course one of the first things I did after finishing up the year (aside from sleeping) was play a copious amount of video games. I have once again failed in my mission to try and stop my friend NinjaDuckie gifting me games over Steam and he has generously bought me Hitman: Blood Money, Dark Void Zero and AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity (yes, it’s really called that).

Having enjoyed the demo of Aaaaa some time ago I’ve really been enjoying the full game. For those who aren’t familiar with the game it is a BASE-jumping game set in a somewhat abstract alternate reality where you jump off of buildings and aim to score points on your way down through the city, often staying as close to the buildings as possible without hitting them to do so. Hit the wall of a building and you’ll spin out of control but hit the top at full-speed and it’s game over. The game has a somewhat unusual sense of humour but I’d advise pretty much anyone to check it out. The indie Steam platform shooter Booster Trooper has also been patched in the last week but it still seems to have all the same lag issues and pathing problems that have frustrated me up until now.

Welcome to the beta.
 Welcome to the beta.
Of course I couldn’t talk about games this week without talking about the Halo: Reach multiplayer beta. I think it says something about how big Halo and video games in general have gotten that we are actually seeing the beta test for the multiplayer mode of a video game being advertised on TV. The beta has had the odd glitch here and there but Bungie seem to have been very good about identifying problems and what is the point of testing if not to find glitches. Reach is not a complete revolution on the Halo formula but that’s by no means a bad thing, the new gametypes and weapons are a great deal of fun, the armour abilities make for an interesting new feature, the ranking system is improved and as always the maps are brilliantly designed. The invasion mode in particular has been a very enjoyable addition to the game and overall the beta has been super-awesome.

This week I thought it would be appropriate to leave you with gutterXshark’s remix of the Halo: Reach ViDoc Carnage Carnivale:

Thanks for reading everyone, I will be posting again next week hopefully with something to say about my first experiences with the Fallout 3 DLC and maybe even Mass Effect 2.

-Gamer_152

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I have now finished my first university year of computer games programming and my last week has been a mad rush to write code, finish documentation and hand everything in. For three days I didn’t even have the time to sleep but everything got done in the end. I think most people would be surprised by how hard a computers games programming course can be, the course leader definitely seems to think it’s the hardest course in the university and one of the hardest courses in the country but it’ll all be worth it is if this really can get me a job in the industry.

With all my assignments out the way it’s hard to believe I have so much free time now and of course one of the first things I did after finishing up the year (aside from sleeping) was play a copious amount of video games. I have once again failed in my mission to try and stop my friend NinjaDuckie gifting me games over Steam and he has generously bought me Hitman: Blood Money, Dark Void Zero and AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity (yes, it’s really called that).

Having enjoyed the demo of Aaaaa some time ago I’ve really been enjoying the full game. For those who aren’t familiar with the game it is a BASE-jumping game set in a somewhat abstract alternate reality where you jump off of buildings and aim to score points on your way down through the city, often staying as close to the buildings as possible without hitting them to do so. Hit the wall of a building and you’ll spin out of control but hit the top at full-speed and it’s game over. The game has a somewhat unusual sense of humour but I’d advise pretty much anyone to check it out. The indie Steam platform shooter Booster Trooper has also been patched in the last week but it still seems to have all the same lag issues and pathing problems that have frustrated me up until now.

Welcome to the beta.
 Welcome to the beta.
Of course I couldn’t talk about games this week without talking about the Halo: Reach multiplayer beta. I think it says something about how big Halo and video games in general have gotten that we are actually seeing the beta test for the multiplayer mode of a video game being advertised on TV. The beta has had the odd glitch here and there but Bungie seem to have been very good about identifying problems and what is the point of testing if not to find glitches. Reach is not a complete revolution on the Halo formula but that’s by no means a bad thing, the new gametypes and weapons are a great deal of fun, the armour abilities make for an interesting new feature, the ranking system is improved and as always the maps are brilliantly designed. The invasion mode in particular has been a very enjoyable addition to the game and overall the beta has been super-awesome.

This week I thought it would be appropriate to leave you with gutterXshark’s remix of the Halo: Reach ViDoc Carnage Carnivale:

Thanks for reading everyone, I will be posting again next week hopefully with something to say about my first experiences with the Fallout 3 DLC and maybe even Mass Effect 2.

-Gamer_152

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_A_Drain

Reckless Disregard for Gravity is such an awesome concept, and i'm really enjoying Dark Void Zero, although i'm regretting buying it on iPhone.