Have you ever felt personally close to a game?

DragonNinja789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By DragonNinja789

Have you played a game you felt very strongly towards or felt a very strong personal connection with the game, not necessarily with its main character(s) but the depth of the story combined with the trials and tribulations that characters go through or deal with.

For me it was GTA4. I had never really known or let alone felt, what my dad had meant when he talked about all times when he first immigrated to America. I mean I understood it but I never really GOT IT, it took me hours to play through GTA4, and as I played and listened to things Nico talked about, mostly with Roman, I slowly started to understand...and it made sense. So much of what was said and what was told in that story spoke true to some of the same things my dad had spoken about it. 
       In a way it makes me feel closer to him because I actually know the experience he went through when he first came to America... minus the whole Mob thing.

The second one came with Sucker Punch's Infamous. The story of infamous was strong, so strong enough that I plowed through it in a week. Not only that but also because it was told really quite well, I loved the comic-book feel it had and the emphasis on modern time and placement. But it was also really emotional. That moment of Trish dying pretty much defined Cole as a hero...and honestly if the scene had gone on for a minute longer I probably would have started to cry. Glad it stopped when it did.
 I still feel so close that game because of what it represents... its just so honest and true in a way, there were so many things done right that made me connect with it. 
  I've always love comics, its such an interesting medium, and I've always liked superhero's, or at least the idea of superhero's in an everyday form. They shouldnt be an alien from another planet or anything in between. They should always be a person first. 

I guess I felt secure within its realms because it seemed so freeing but adult at the same time. If I were to design a game especially one revolving around superhero's or powers, I would do it similar to the way Sucker Punch did theirs.

Now...tell me yours. : )

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Twitchey

I once shoved my dick through a video game disk. Does that count?

(It broke the CD)

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Yeah, several. GTAIV, Fallout 3, Banjo-Kazooie, Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Heck, San Andreas too. But I'm just listing my favorite games, so I don't know I'm really understanding what you mean. I have some crazy obsession with the world of Fallout 3, though. Somehow, I've found Heaven in The Wasteland.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ

There's only one I can think of: The World Ends With You. The main character of that game is the one I could relate to the most in the games that I've played and the themes of death and sacrifice as well as individualism and cooperation resonated with me.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I have a connection with Metal Gear Solid, especially since I used to not be fast enough to save Meryl.

Meryl...cry

ItsPozer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ItsPozer

Mother 3! I never felt so sad yet happy at the same time, that game is so fucking good.

DragonNinja789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DragonNinja789
@FluxWaveZ: very cool.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Claude

ICO, it took me on a personal journey that was beyond my imagination of what video games could be.

No Caption Provided
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iam3green

metal gear solid 3, and heavy rain. i felt bad for those games.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By buzz_clik

Shadow of the Colossus and Red Dead Redemption are a couple that spring to mind. The sense of growing dread I felt at the end of the latter, suspecting where it must have been ultimately heading, made my heart quite heavy.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RE_Player1

Mirror's Edge and Persona 3. Both games I really loved the protagonists and really enjoyed being a part of their journey, that sounds stupid but it's true.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TotalEklypse
@Twitchey said:
I once shoved my dick through a video game disk. Does that count?  (It broke the CD)
You win this thread but.
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Dany

Uhm, the end of limbo made me audio ably gasp in amazement.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By crusader8463

The end boss fight for Vanguard Bandits really got me pumped up. Most of the game was spent chasing after this bad guy, and when you finally meet up with him in this big mech suit you discovered that the mech is powered by the blood of the innocent, and every time he uses it he has to slaughter an entire village of people to drain them of their blood to use as fuel. For some reason I just recall this realization really pissing me off for some reason, and made me want to stop him with ever fibre of my being because if I didn't then he would have used the suit to take over the world and kill millions to do so.

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By redbliss

The entire Halo series, especially Halo: CE. I got an xbox with Halo right before I moved in eighth grade. At the time I was seeing a lot of family and friends because we were going to be moving out of state, so if I had friends or family over that hadnt played the game and wanted to play it we would. That's how I will always remember Halo: as a great coop experience. I still play the new games with friends and family when I get the chance, and I still enjoy the campaign. Also, when Halo 2 came out I put a huge amount of time into the multiplayer. 

There are other games as well that I feel very close to: 
Driver 1 and 2
Pokemon Yellow 
Fallout 3 
Super Mario World 

As a side note, I feel like a lot of games that allow you to sort of make your own experiences really do a good job of creating a connection with the gamer. Far Cry 2 is a good example (at least I feel it is), and so are a lot of RPGs with branching paths, like Elder Scrolls or Mass Effect.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By blackbird415

There are few, they tend to gravitate towards childhood or somehow realate to my life. The first 3 crash bandicoot games, after that the others don't do it. I don't consider any of the ps2 games legitimate. The original half life is definitely one I hold near and dear to my heart. GTA is definitely a series thats another for me as well. Back when I was a kid I played the first GTA and saw what those games could be (which then became GTA3).

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By crusader8463
Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

PGR4

Just kidding, it would have to be Jak 3 or Crash Bandicoot (yes I was a weird child), or my favourite games that I always go on about (Fallout + Bioshock). I actually got into the FFXIII story pretty deep before losing all interest with the gameplay, it's cool how they speak in my accent!

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19  Edited By xpgamer7

Games have never gotten so immersive for me that I was personally close to them. Maybe the closest that came to that(and this is a weird one) is Pikmin.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rubbed my dick on my FFX case.

hope that helps

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

Metal Gear Solid for the PS1. I just felt really connected to the story and the characters. Oddly enough, during the Persona 4 Endurance Run, I became really connected to Charlie Tunoku and the gang. I also became connected Francis York Morgan both during the ER and when I bought the game roughly five months after the ER's final episodes.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ShadowSkill11

PlaneScape: Torrment - I really liked the philosophical question throughout the story of "What can change the nature of a man?" and the bonds between comrades or nakama.

For honorable mentions I also liked Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic because of the attention to detail of the universe and the bonds between the main characters even after the twist. Descent FreeSpace 2 and Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance for being big story driven, complex flight sims that made you feel like you were actually piloting a fighter instead of just pressing a thumbstick and using the l bumper to lock onto 20 targets at once like now adays.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#23  Edited By Hailinel

Eternal Sonata. Yes, the story is simple and melodramatic to the extreme (longest character death speech in history), but it was released on one of the worst days of my life, and in the week or so it took me to finish, it really helped pick me back up. A strange notion for a game that's all about death, but it's a connection that's lasted ever since.

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Xtrememuffinman
Final Fantasy VIII
I really felt connected to Squall, and Rinoa reminded me a lot of a certain girl. I was also really depressed when I played through that game, and those connections brought me out of a slump. I often cite FFVIII as one of my favorite games ever made, and I recently realized that while I do really like the gameplay systems, time travel interpretation, and overall story/tone/setting, it was the personal connection that really put an impression on me. 

FFX, Prince of Persia '08, the Metal Gear Series, and God of War III are all also standouts. For various reasons, though I doubt anyone cares enough to read a post long enough to encompass all that.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ajamafalous

@Twitchey said:

I once shoved my dick through a video game disk. Does that count? (It broke the CD)

This could not have been a better first reply to the thread.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dtat

Final Fantasies VII through X hit me at a time in my youth when I was very susceptible to their themes. I found myself feeling very emotionally attached to the characters and stories. I have very strong memories of playing them. Bittersweet memories mostly. I sometimes wish I could go back to those times.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JJOR64

Kingdom Hearts touched me where nothing has touched me before.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By maxszy

Definitely. Then again, I primarily play games for stories these days it seems. 

Mass Effect (+2), KOTOR, GTAIV, Fable 2 all come to mind quickly. Engaged in a way that a lot of others aren't able to do.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CptBedlam

Silent Hill 2 and Shadow of the Colossus ... these two games "touched" me and I am man enough to admit it.

ryanmc94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By ryanmc94

Jak 2, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core and Red Dead Redemption. The characters in these games mature over time (even John Marsten) and I found myself torn up once the game was over. Except in the case of Jak where there was eventually a sequel and it happened all over again.

Not sure why I put that in a spoiler... meh
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By atejas

Seconding(thirding?) Shadow of the Colossus.  I still tear up a bit at the ending. 
Also, um, probably Deus Ex, and, uh, 
Homeworld! How could I forget Homeworld.

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Twitchey
@Ryanmc94: The entire Jak And Daxter series really stuck with me until the racing game, then I couldn't play it anymore. Daxter on the PSP was still awesome though.
ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ShadowSkill11

@ajamafalous said:

@Twitchey said:

I once shoved my dick through a video game disk. Does that count? (It broke the CD)

I think you have bigger(smaller?) problems to worry about if you can actually fit any piece of your dick through a CD/DVD hole.

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Twitchey
@ShadowSkill11 said:

@ajamafalous said:

@Twitchey said:

I think you have bigger(smaller?) problems to worry about if you can actually fit any piece of your dick through a CD/DVD hole.

I trusted so hard that it broke through the disk and created an ever bigger, bloodier hole.
Somnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Somnus

The Persona games are very personal to me.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By Bollard

As a small Italian Plumber I feel there aren't really any games that resonate well with me :(

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Vexxan

Ocarina of Times and Majora's Mask. Probably because of their nostalgia value to me but re-playing these games gives me this very special feeling.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ShaunassNZ

GTA IV was just amazing and stayed in my 360 for ages. I just love every R* game. 

RB2 was a huge one, yeah a music game with no story. I was always the RB guy, had the instruments and DLC. I was also Expert at all the instruments. When RB3 came out, the instruments were SUPER pricey over here so I never got them, got RB3 but it wasn't something I played as much as I did with RB2.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By dagas

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines

While playing that game I felt like I was part of the Los Angeles underworld of vampires. It really had great atmosphere that game.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By valrog

Whoa, inFAMOUS spoilers.

But to answer your question: Yes.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#41  Edited By ShaggE

Silent Hill 2 for story/character connection (not that I've ever fought zombie nurses in a ghost town, mind). 

Blood and The Neverhood for games that I just love dearly.