Help a newbie out

Newbie88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey all, so I've never really gamed, but my guy is a bit of a gamer, and quite often, because of his work, I end up chilling at his place while he is working.

He has a PS4 and always says I can play on it if I want, so I wondered, does anyone have any suggestions on a game that'd be ideal for a newbie (and I mean a total newbie) to get into, but that wouldn't be too much for just casual play.

Any feedback/suggestions are genuinely appreciated :)

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

Something like the Game of Thrones or Walking Dead episodic series by Telltale may be a good start, especially if you are into the shows at all. They have cool stories and the gameplay isn't too complicated.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I agree with MB in that Telltale games are probably your best shot. I got an older relative of mine who had stopped gaming when things got 3D into The Walking Dead a year or so ago. Although the controls took some time to get used to, he got way hooked into the game and finished it in like 3 sittings. On the other hand, if you are looking for a more traditional game experience, you can always just pop in a game that looks interesting and turn down the difficulty.

Avatar image for anonymous_jesse
Anonymous_Jesse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does the PS4 have any good 2d platformers?

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My wife loves the new Rayman games and she'd stopped gaming sometime in the mid-nineties. We were playing them together, until she stayed up extra late one night after I went to bed and finished half of Legends without me.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just in case your completely new to the system as well. The PS4, I believe serves multiple functions. It can be used to watch netflix and the like.

If your completely new to gaming though your biggest hurtle is going to be getting use to a controller. This is something that you just have to work your way through. One you've got muscle memory for which one is the x button, that holding more then one button at once does things and so on, your set to play all kinds of games.

The thing then is that whatever game you start with? Your likely gonna have the same basic issue. Your best bet then is to look at the games your guy owns that interest you, or like people are suggesting pick up the GoT/WD games. Those are adventure games with a lot of cut scenes and dialog, where most of the interaction is picking from choices, and moving characters around while solving light puzzle. They are the kind of thing that could keep you interested in enough to keep working through the initial 'crap all the action in the game made me forget what button does what!"

That is the most important piece of advice I can give. Find a game you think looks interesting enough to you to stick with.

Also, importantly. Don't be afraid to bounce off the hobby. If it turns out to be something that just doesn't sit with you, don't think your doing it wrong. I've known a number of people who don't find playing the games fun, but adore watching their partners play through them, given the stories games tell can be engrossing and fun to watch.

The rest is kinda personal. Like, you know you better then anyone. The suggestions given are a good place to start but don't let that stop you from just making your own judgement call either.

hylian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo games are a good start