How Did You Discover Giant Bomb? Tell Your Story

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 21

I had been following Jeff's reviews at Gamespot on and off. Some time after the whole Kane & Lynch business happened a friend of mine told me that Jeff and some other GS dudes had started up a new website. I think I read a few articles here and there, but I didn't start frequenting the site just yet. Then I saw the Tony Hawk: Ride quick look back in '09 and that convinced me Giant Bomb was something special. Started listening to the Bombcast every week and here I am.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

A friend told me that Giant Bomb was pretty funny and that I should check it out so I did.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

followed jeff one gamespot since 1997 and followed him here.

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Used to follow Gamespot a long time back (2003 I think would be the start of that), watched "Button Mashing" and listened to the Hotspot regularly - then Rich left.

A while after "Gerstmann-gate" (Seriously, adding "gate" to the end of controversies is stupid) happened, and I followed Jeff to his blog. Not long after Ryan left Gamespot. Then Ryan and Jeff started "Arrow Pointing Down" podcast and blog, so I followed that.

Then GB started as a blog and I continued to follow. Brad and Vinny left Gamespot so I stopped going there and followed here regularly.

Feels fun to have been part of this site from its beginnings. Weird how quickly that time has gone.

yabbering_yeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I followed Jeff here, but not immediately. I followed the Kane and Lynch rubbish, but clearly not closely enough. I read a comment on a gamespot article in 2009 talking about Jeff being at Giant Bomb, which I had no idea existed. I bookmarked the site that day, and have probably visited the site every day since.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was a 1up reader/podcast listener back in the day and didn't follow gamespot at all. Through there I heard about all the messed up stuff that went down with Jeff at gamespot and kept up with things that way. When Giant Bomb finally launched i remember Garnett Lee talking about how much the guys at Giant Bomb liked to party or how they had their own bar or something. That's probably when I first heard about the site. Started listening to the bomb cast early and lurked on the site for a long time before signing up for an account.

mithhunter55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#207  Edited By mithhunter55

I too found love for the guys during the The Arrow Pointing Down podcast era. This was after I read about the firing of Jeff. I didn't spend much time reading game sites at the time. I was in highschool with a co-op placement at a computer repair shop. I spent most of my time finding funny videos, the slightly older guy would do the hard work in exchange. He explained the whole gamespot X Jeff situation in more detail. I was a really big fan of podcasts at the time, now I mostly just listen to the Bombcast.

zimzam99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By zimzam99

Used to watch and listen to the guys on Gamespot all the time, was so pissed off at Jeff's firing I cancelled my Gamespot subscription immediately. As soon as Jeff, Ryan and the others started something new (Arrow pointing down and then GB) I was on board. All the dumb without the managerial overlords! Fantastic!