How Do NA/EU Gamers Feel About JP International Versions?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

Gentlemen (and single Lady User), 

With the recent news of Final Fantasy XIII having major cuts due to certain reasons (the cut parts already worked flawlessly on the PS3 and for unknown reasons was cut), it is becoming more and more confirmed that Final Fantasy XIII International will be out sometime in the near future.   

Lately, I've seen two International Versions of games come out to NA/EU (White Knight and Star Ocean 4), and feel that Square/Level-5 need to do this more often.   

Since Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts II, the International Version of games have been far superior than their original counterparts.  Some noticeable examples are: 

Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System - A fully new developed game with major changes that made it a completely new game...and fixed EVERYTHING and added major additions.

Kingdom Hearts II FinalMix+ - Again, along the same lines as FFXII International, it was a completely new game with major changes and additions, also the extended story WITH a bonus Kingdom Hearts Chained Memories PS2 Remake.

Final Fantasy X International & Final Fantasy X-2 International + Last Mission - Once again, major changes and additions (this game was also bundled together and can be found for cheap!)  plus extended story. 

How do NA/EU gamers feel getting the shaft when the full and complete version of the game comes out about a year or less after the original NA/EU date?  Do you guys import the International Versions?   

Do you feel Square and other companies should be fair and release the International Versions worldwide?  

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By MikkaQ

Eh it's not being fair or not. It's their product they do do what they want. There's no entitlement on our part. 

Also, I guess it would be better, but I've never yearned for it.  When scenes are cut from a movie, there's always a good reason. New game features... well whatever. 

This is 2010. They should just make international versions DLC or something. But I haven't seen many japanese games that nail DLC. They're always the nickel and dime type. They need to figure that shit out.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By penguindust

I don't have a problem with Game of the Year editions of titles which bundle in all the DLC of a game onto one or more discs.  And, I don't have a problem with packing refinished games together like the God of War series.  Making a buck off a popular franchise is just good business.  However, I'd prefer if SE made their "International" games available internationally so that we wouldn't have to go through the hassle of importing our orders.  Granted Play-Asia and other make things easy, but still it would be nice to just pick up a game at our local game shop.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Snail
@KaosAngel said:
"I feel that Square/Level-5 need to do this more often.  "
No shit.

Of course they should focus more on international releases! I don't even like those games that much, in fact, I despise most of Square's games. But one thing is for sure, we ahve tons of fanboys over here in the western world, lots of weaboos that just want to get their hands in these special editions. Sure, some of them are no big deal, but some, such as Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix+ are significantly better than the original version.

I once liked these games you know. I remember waiting ever so long for KH II: FM+, with no success. Although we did get that remake edition of KH: Chain of Memories on the PS2, not too long ago. I'm not even into Kingdom Hearts anymore, that western release was too little too late (for me, that is).

My point being: Why not? Some people would kill for those games, and they have to contempt themselves with Japanese imports (those that can actually import from Japan). And even those who can import from Japan probably know nothing of Japanese and cannot understand a word of what anyone is saying in the game. Those that cannot import must contempt themselves by staring at screen shots. I've been there my friend. They should be aware that, even though most of their target audience is Japanese, their fanbase is spread out worldwide.

Yes, they should focus more on international releases.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KaosAngel
@Snail: Yeah well you got White Knight International (which Japan doesn't get) and Star Ocean 4 International.  Hopefully everyone buys them so Japanese devs know that it's time to release them outside Japan.

Edit:  Both of those are out the same week too!  XD
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

The upgrades model tends to not work as well Westwards. People wouldn't rebuy the same game. Maybe they will sometimes, but if it becomes an actual trend as opposed to an exception to a rule, they'll probably stop buying the first version and wait for the improved release. The best they could do is not release the Western versions of their games until the International editions are done, but then people would complain for the huge delays.

Anyway, to answer the title question: they probably feel nothing about them cos few know they exist. I guess you can hope these sell to see the rest.

XxBarretxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By XxBarretxX

Actually they release within a week of each other not the same week =/  

But yes I completely agree with you on this since this unknown reason gimped Final Fantasy XIII, I am somewhat dissapointed at hearing this but I have talked to some people live in Japan and have actually played FFXIII and they say the games first 5 hours are cutscenes/backstory the next 10-15 are halls and storming places and then everything after that is truly amazing so i remain excited for Final Fantasy XIII Release

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Jeust

How Do NA/EU Gamers Feel About JP International Versions?

It's life.
VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By VWGTI

Considering that gamers bitch about DLC I wouldn't think they'd be ok with an expanded version of a Final Fantasy game. They would just whine and moan about the stuff not being in the original game in the first place. I think the only game that can really get away with doing that is Street Fighter.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By MikkaQ

Rather DLC than buying a game two times.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KaosAngel
@VWGTI said:

" Considering that gamers bitch about DLC I wouldn't think they'd be ok with an expanded version of a Final Fantasy game. They would just whine and moan about the stuff not being in the original game in the first place. I think the only game that can really get away with doing that is Street Fighter. "

Metal Gear Solid Sub"Edition" gets a pass with this and Americans don't mind paying for those. 

Edit:  Speaking of which, where the hell is MGS4 Sub?
VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By VWGTI
@KaosAngel said:
" @VWGTI said:

" Considering that gamers bitch about DLC I wouldn't think they'd be ok with an expanded version of a Final Fantasy game. They would just whine and moan about the stuff not being in the original game in the first place. I think the only game that can really get away with doing that is Street Fighter. "

Metal Gear Solid Sub"Edition" gets a pass with this and Americans don't mind paying for those.   Edit:  Speaking of which, where the hell is MGS4 Sub? "
Good call. I did buy both Sub Editions. Totally forgot about those.

Also, I have no idea. MGS4 Sub w/ Trophies?! No brainer!