• 67 results
#1 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

I joke, of course. I honestly haven't even watched it, but I thought it was interesting that they are doing a "Quick Look" of a game, something that as far as I know (I did a quick search) they have called anything. SHould we be up in arms? Seems fine if it's stuff that the GB guys would never get around to, but if it's eating up some QLs that would normally be GB duders, I dunno how I feel about that. My impression was that Gamespot was going to keep being Gamespot, but it's going to seem really fuckin odd if they start doing "Quick Looks" regularly, considering it was said that Giantbomb would still be Giantbomb and Gamespot would still be Gamespot.

Would you rather see somethign like that on the GB side of things with a Gamespot tag or something, seeing as GB focuses on that kind of content where as GS seems not to? Or is it better to split up the content by who made it rather than what audience it caters to?

Honestly, it's not a big deal, but I thought it was odd that they used the name. How do you all feel? Robbed? Excited? Aroused? Nonplussed? Unphased? It's pretty clear that this isn't "we happened to use It, oh haha!" because it's such a simple name that it would have happened already if that were the case.

EDIT: BREAKING NEWS

They changed the name! Now it's a "Run Through". I think I actually preferred Quick Look... I never actually had a problem with the naming, just thought it was quirky.

#2 Posted by cyraxible (694 posts) -

This feels kind of yucky. If they had called it a Fast Glance I would have found it funny. Way to miss the mark, wildly.

#3 Posted by Vextroid (1429 posts) -

Unless Giant Bomb has a trademark on the term, don't really care. I mean it really is a quick look at/of something.

#4 Posted by SockemJetpack (412 posts) -

Should have called it an "Expedient Observation"

#5 Edited by Zacagawea (1613 posts) -

God, that typo sucks dude. I feel for you.

#6 Posted by Tidel (360 posts) -

When will it end, GameStop!

#7 Posted by cyraxible (694 posts) -

@Zacagawea: It's probably happened to everyone at some point.

#8 Posted by Bumpton (456 posts) -

Your title confused the shit out of me, thinking that GameSTOP was doing editorial stuff now...

On-topic: It seems really weird to me. I'm not all up in arms or anything, but they clearly know what the GB dudes do and what terms they use, so why on earth would they call their video that? It sorta just makes me think they're super unoriginal and kinda lame. Which is to say that my opinion of them is exactly the same as it's ever been.

#9 Posted by GorillaMoPena (2334 posts) -

It isn't exactly the most clever name ever.

#10 Posted by Arker101 (1472 posts) -

I thought you meant the retailer.

Eh, I don't care about how you identify what your video is about, but if they start an Endurance run, heads will roll.

#11 Posted by adoggz (2070 posts) -

its funny. kinda like gamespot is giantbomb's little brother emulating what the big bro does.

#12 Posted by Mendelson9 (408 posts) -

If you don't like what Gamespot is doing, don't go to the website. Let them do what they like, Giant Bomb is still here.

#13 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1896 posts) -

@Bumpton said:

It sorta just makes me think they're super unoriginal and kinda lame.

#14 Posted by GnomeonFire (778 posts) -

Argh, shame on Gamespot for their plunderous ways.

#15 Edited by JoeyRavn (4983 posts) -

I really don't care, because fuck Gamespot. As far as I'm concerned, Giant Bomb is the only community I actively participate in. I get other videogame sites' RSS feeds, but don't actually go to them. So, yeah, the Gamespot guys can do whatever they want.

PS: GameSpot* in the title.

#16 Posted by Brendan (8131 posts) -

@cyraxible said:

This feels kind of yucky. If they had called it a Fast Glance I would have found it funny. Way to miss the mark, wildly.

We must now come up with different takes on the phrase "Quick Look". I'll start.

Rapid Inspection

Agile Gaze

Fleeting View

Presto Peek

Expeditious Gander

Swift Surveillance

Hasty Glimpse

Breakneck Beholding

Lickety-Split Look-See

Nimble Notice

Dashing Once-Over

Snappy Sight

An Hour Long Video

#17 Edited by NegativeCero (3039 posts) -

Don't care at all I will continue to watch GB stuff and probably remain unaware of Gamespot stuff. I may check some out though, just to see what their style is like or if they covered a game I'm interested in.

#18 Posted by Bumpton (456 posts) -

@Brendan said:

@cyraxible said:

We must now come up with different takes on the phrase "Quick Look". I'll start.

Rapid Inspection

Agile Gaze

Fleeting View

Presto Peek

Expeditious Gander

Swift Surveillance

Hasty Glimpse

Breakneck Beholding

Lickety-Split Look-See

Nimble Notice

Dashing Once-Over

Snappy Sight

An Hour Long Video

Hahah, you're the best. My fave is Lickety-Split Look-See. Or An Hour Long Video. Nothing like hitting the nail on the head.

#19 Posted by adoggz (2070 posts) -
@Brendan

@cyraxible said:

Rapid Inspection

Agile Gaze

Fleeting View

Presto Peek

Expeditious Gander

Swift Surveillance

Hasty Glimpse

Breakneck Beholding

Lickety-Split Look-See

Nimble Notice

Dashing Once-Over

Snappy Sight

An Hour Long Video

Oh God. Vinny needs to start a cooking show where he shows us all we need to know about making Italian food in 15 minutes or less. It would be called Pesto Peek.
#20 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4284 posts) -

I feel violated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#21 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Maybe giantbomb can get back at them by selling games

#22 Edited by ImmortalSaiyan (4701 posts) -

It does not seems to be called quick look anymore. Instead it's called a Run Through.

#23 Posted by Johnny5 (1355 posts) -

I've heard lots of other places use the term "Quick Look" now. I take it as a matter of pride. How cool is it that something Giantbomb coined and started has basically become a really popular thing in the industry.

As an extension of the popularity of Lets Plays I think.

#24 Posted by Giantstalker (1726 posts) -

@Brendan said:

Rapid Inspection

Agile Gaze

Fleeting View

Presto Peek

Expeditious Gander

Swift Surveillance

Hasty Glimpse

Breakneck Beholding

Lickety-Split Look-See

Nimble Notice

Dashing Once-Over

Snappy Sight

An Hour Long Video

Can't thank you enough for these

#25 Posted by Marz (5671 posts) -

dude spell the name right!!! you had me thinking the retail store was doing quick looks... it's fine for gamespot, they've been doing these kind of now playing things for awhile now...

#26 Posted by Patman99 (1620 posts) -

I think it's fine. I mean a quick look is simply a name implying that the creators are simply doing a quick gameplay/explanation video. People who are legitimately getting worked up over this need to take a deep breath and chill out.

#27 Posted by Village_Guy (2662 posts) -

Swift Peep?

#28 Posted by Chumm (245 posts) -

@NegativeCero said:

see what they're style is like

How is that even possible

Anyway, they did indeed change the name in the last couple hours, good job keeping those bland fuckers honest!

#29 Posted by Abendlaender (2888 posts) -

Well, I never look at Gamespot so I don't care.

As far as I'm concerned they might as well rename their site to LitteBomb and I wouldn't care

#30 Posted by Humanity (10062 posts) -

How DARE they! This site, I never go to, using these terms is freaking disgusting.

#31 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3489 posts) -

Largely indifferent.

#32 Posted by Ben_H (3429 posts) -

"Speedy Glance" like Ryan calls it in the SimAnimals Quick Looks.

#33 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3489 posts) -

@Brendan said:

@cyraxible said:

Rapid Inspection

Agile Gaze

Fleeting View

Presto Peek

Expeditious Gander

Swift Surveillance

Hasty Glimpse

Breakneck Beholding

Lickety-Split Look-See

Nimble Notice

Dashing Once-Over

Snappy Sight

An Hour Long Video

Ephemeral Elucidation.

There, I helped.

#34 Posted by EchoEcho (837 posts) -

Considering the term "Quick Look" initially came from the phrase "a quick look at", it really isn't that hard to imagine other people on the Internet using the same name for the same reason without intending to "plagiarize" Giant Bomb.

So in short, I don't give a fuck. It's not exactly an original name to begin with.

#35 Posted by Grissefar (2830 posts) -

Perhaps they should have named it Perfunctory Introspection?

#36 Posted by BBQBram (2291 posts) -

@mylifeforAiur said:

@Brendan said:

@cyraxible said:

Rapid Inspection

Agile Gaze

Fleeting View

Presto Peek

Expeditious Gander

Swift Surveillance

Hasty Glimpse

Breakneck Beholding

Lickety-Split Look-See

Nimble Notice

Dashing Once-Over

Snappy Sight

An Hour Long Video

Ephemeral Elucidation.

There, I helped.

Dear sirs, I would like to entertain the prospect of the Hurried Regarding.

#37 Posted by rawrsair (821 posts) -

@Brendan: I love all of those suggestions. Well done sir.

#38 Posted by MEATBALL (3473 posts) -

It doesn't really bother me at all and chances are it doesn't bother the folks at Giant Bomb, so I don't really see any other reason to get outraged.

#39 Posted by Gargantuan (1887 posts) -

Do people actually get angry about stuff like this?

#40 Posted by emem (1974 posts) -
@Gargantuan said:

People get angry about everything, you should know that by now, FFS! ;)
#41 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

I don't care. You can mimic the name, but you can't mimic the quality.

#42 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Brendan: Dear god, Rapid Inspection is an awesome name.

#43 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Brendan said:

Breakneck Beholding

This is the greatest thing you've ever said on the forums. Oh god, yes, yes, yes. Please god, yes. Please, god yes. Yes, yes. Yes. Yes.

#44 Posted by ImHungry (377 posts) -

The weirdest part about all of this is that Quick Look in and of itself is already such a throwaway name that Jeff has admitted they came up with pretty much on the spot when the first video came up.

#45 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@SlightConfuse said:

Maybe giantbomb can get back at them by selling games

Jerk :( I wonder if Top Men will ever let us edit titles.

@Gargantuan said:

Sometimes. I was curious to see if people got pissed at this but it looks like my uncaring position is pretty much the thing around these parts. I wouldn't have been surprised, I think there's a fair amount of animosity against Gamespot that has yet to quite decay. I don't think anyone in their right mind should, but it's the internet...

@ImHungry: And has become more and more inaccurate as time goes on.

#46 Edited by believer258 (12184 posts) -

@BBQBram said:

@mylifeforAiur said:

@Brendan said:

@cyraxible said:

Rapid Inspection

Agile Gaze

Fleeting View

Presto Peek

Expeditious Gander

Swift Surveillance

Hasty Glimpse

Breakneck Beholding

Lickety-Split Look-See

Nimble Notice

Dashing Once-Over

Snappy Sight

An Hour Long Video

Ephemeral Elucidation.

There, I helped.

Dear sirs, I would like to entertain the prospect of the Hurried Regarding.

Brisk Beholding?

#47 Posted by Mattalorian (594 posts) -

I just love how Gamespot is desperately trying to emulate Giant Bomb in an attempt to be cool. You would think that they would at least come up with a name.

They probably just took a look at the page views on Giant Bomb, and wanted to get in on some of the action. The thing that they kinda overlooked was that Quick Looks get so many page views because they're actually really entertaining and well-produced.

I just hope it doesn't really matter. I could easily imagine a situation where Giant Bomb decides not to do a quick look of something because Gamespot already tackled it.

#48 Posted by FreakAche (2955 posts) -

@ImHungry said:

The weirdest part about all of this is that Quick Look in and of itself is already such a throwaway name that Jeff has admitted they came up with pretty much ON THE SPOT when the first video came up.

I smell a conspiracy...

#49 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

It doesn't bother me at all, actually. I know that it might frustrate some people who are fond of the Giant Bomb take on things, but considering Giant Bomb is now CBS Interactive property I doubt they can do much. It doesn't bother me though because there is nobody holding a gun to my head and ordering me to watch GameSpot's videos. It's a win-win really. People who regularly visit GameSpot, but not Giant Bomb, will be able to get a good idea of the games. People who focus more on Giant Bomb will be much the same. If you don't have much of a bias then you can go to both and get a quick look at any games that are covered. It works for me. Is it original? Hardly, but it's not going to kill Giant Bomb's content either.

#50 Posted by ShaggE (6699 posts) -

Luchadonkey.

It'll happen.

Just you wait and see.