How do you like your podcasts? Audio or Video?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

Poll How do you like your podcasts? Audio or Video? (120 votes)

Video 8%
Audio 92%

There are a lot of examples of what I think is content more appropriate for audio only. But everyone likes options! With Bombin' the AM or Adam Sessler's discussions taking the podcast formula and making it video, I was wondering how many of you really want to see a webcam point at a person's face.

I listen to Bombin' the AM like I would a podcast. If I'm listening to it before the podcast version is up, I'll just play the video but have it in another tab. Does anyone actually sit and watch that or other comparable shows?

I think taking content that isn't best served through video only works for people with a name. I host my own podcasts once in awhile interviewing game industry folks like Dave Lang. But would any of you want to watch me chat with someone? Does the name of the person dictate what kind of content they can produce?

• 
AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AMyggen

Audio. I more or less always listen to podcasts while doing other stuff, so I'm not interested in video. I also don't think video adds much to the experience most of the time; a video of the Bombcast would add nothing for me, really, and I feel the same way about the Tested podcast (Jeff agrees, as he has stated many times).

That said, once in a while I think a podcast will be better with video. What comes to mind is the E3 podcasts, because those generally have many guests and some segments that are clearly better watched (Adam Boyes showing the PS4, to give you an example). But that's an exception.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By JJBSterling

I'm usually listening to podcasts while I'm commuting, cooking, working, and generally while I'm away from my computer.

I don't mind video podcasts, although the only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Dadcast Tested does, and I just keep that in another tab while doing something else.

The minor problem I have while listening to podcasts while browsing the web is that it seems to bleed together with what I'm reading so I accidentally start tuning out the podcast while reading something else.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Audio.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The minor problem I have while listening to podcasts while browsing the web is that it seems to bleed together with what I'm reading so I accidentally start tuning out the podcast while reading something else.

That happens to me a lot. I sometimes have to re-listen to a segment three or four times, because I keep tuning out at the same point and missing one or two key words and lose track of the conversation.

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Rotnac

It depends on the type of podcast but I usually lean more towards preferring audio since I'm also doing other stuff.

PDXSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PDXSonic

I usually listen to the podcast while doing other stuff, so audio is usually the way I go. Although sometimes it would be cool to see a video form of the podcast.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

AV/MV

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always audio. As @amyggen said, I listen to podcasts while doing other things, be it messing around in a game or browsing online or working or cleaning. I don't need video format. I find the video formats more distracting as if I leave it on my screen, the constant change and flickering of what might be going on will catch my eye.

My biggest problem with the video format is that any ones I have seen have a habit of getting derailed very quickly by the hosts. Because most video format podcasts seem to take place where everyone is at their own computer, it's very easy for one of them to become disengaged in the conversation, wander onto some site and then disrupt the flow by linking everyone to Reddit or something because they found a funny article.

Podcasts for me work best when its in audio format and when the people doing the podcast are all sat in the same room as each other.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love when a favorite podcast does a video episode just so I can see the magic happen, but for the most part I listen to podcasts while gaming, so audio.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Audio, I listen to podcasts while I run or when I'm driving.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cloudymusic

Audio by far. Video podcasts seem to often have a few qualities about them that I dislike:

• Little or no editing; many video podcasts seem to simply be livestreamed and then just exported to YouTube.
  • Related to the above, livestreamed podcasts seem to have much worse momentum, contain dead air, and tend to get derailed by interacting with the chat.
  • Poorer audio quality than an audio-only podcast.
  • If it contains elements that play to the camera, it forces you to watch it when I could be doing something else while listening. (BtAM doesn't do this, so the audio-only version of that show still works great.)
  • If it doesn't contain elements that play to the camera, then at least I can listen to it while it's in a background tab, but then why even make it video? It uses up way more bandwidth for no real benefit.
csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By csl316

Audio, since I listen to them in the car. Watching people sit is kind of silly.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Audio, I usually listen while driving, cooking... showering.

Poonz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Audio for me, I mostly listen at work or in the car. Video would be pretty unsafe on both accounts.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#15 FinalDasa  Moderator

While I do enjoy a video podcast from time to time, audio is the way to go.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hatking

Audio. And I kind of hate when they release video podcasts as audio (certain exceptions apply). GameSpot's Gameplay feels really, really weird now that it is a video feature, then later boxed up as a podcast. But I don't mind listening to Giant Bomb's PAX panels or post E3 things as audio, generally.

russman588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weirdly enough, I really like video podcasts. I'm really glad Patrick and Alex do Bombin' that way. They go great with handheld games.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#18  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Audio, I usually listen to the bombcast and other podcasts when taking a walk or using public transit. That's really no time to watch video, and the main reason I rarely watch the Jar time videos is because they're video only despite being more suited for audio.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By Zevvion

@amyggen said:

Audio. I more or less always listen to podcasts while doing other stuff, so I'm not interested in video. I also don't think video adds much to the experience most of the time; a video of the Bombcast would add nothing for me, really, and I feel the same way about the Tested podcast (Jeff agrees, as he has stated many times).

That said, once in a while I think a podcast will be better with video. What comes to mind is the E3 podcasts, because those generally have many guests and some segments that are clearly better watched (Adam Boyes showing the PS4, to give you an example). But that's an exception.

This; also audio.

I would also take it one step further than you and say that video doesn't just fail to add anything to the discussion, but I feel it also often takes something away from it. There is something about someone talking in a way where he knows the only way to get his point across is with his voice. Everything is explained much more clearly. In video's, I often see gestures as if to fill a void of words that weren't spoken.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I listen to podcasts while driving, gaming, and cleaning. So audio only. I rarely find time to just sit down and watch something (movies, tv, quick looks, twitch, ect). I listen to a lot of video content when it doesn't really require me to watch (TED Talks, BrainStuff, the GDC cast here on GB, ect.). I don't dislike video podcasts, I just prefer audio.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ala mode

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By Video_Game_King

Animated.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Audio so I can be doing something else while listening to people talking. Occasionally a video is cool, I watched the Jim Sterling Bombin' video instead of waiting for the audio, but I rarely do that.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bigjeffrey

Video for moments like this.

No Caption Provided
StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Audio. I use podcasts for when my eyes are otherwise occupied (like driving) and even if they offer an audio version as well, I have yet to find a video podcast that doesn't continually forget that not everyone can see what they're doing.

Dayve86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Audio as I usually listen while driving, cooking supper, working out, etc.

I don't have as much time to just sit and watch a video as I used to. Need to find a few more podcasts actually. I usually end up listening to the bombcast two or three times a week.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Audio.

I am not going to sit there for an extended period of time and watch people talk. I have to be doing something. I'll usually play a game like Doom or Minecraft or, probably with this coming podcast, Rogue Legacy.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

video podcasts are cool sometimes but 99% of the time its audio for me.

jeddy201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like i have to concentrate on one thing if i watch a video podcast. I can just listen to audio while I do other things. Which reminds me, I have of month of backlog bombcasts to get to...

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Audio, because I do most of my podcasting at work. In fact I'm really disappointed that they don't plan to post the audio for the GDC thing cause I'm super interested but I'll probably never have time to watch it.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CatsAkimbo

Audio, I consume all my podcasts while I'm driving or otherwise engaged, so I've never even seen a video podcast.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#32  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Audio for me. Like many folks I tend to listen while driving, walking or doing other work on the computer. To be honest I don't really see any value at all in a podcast that has video if they aren't showing the game itself.

It's nice for Bombing that there's video but that's because it's live. If if wasn't recorded with a chat there I'm sure it would be audio only. That said, the face does communicate a lot that is missed by audio. It's just unrealistic to sit down and watch a 3 hour bombcast video, you know?