How much does it cost to make a video game?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

(Just out of curiousity) How much money does it take for developers to create a good game? all the art and design and the workers that get paid and .............

whats the average budget ? If you can detail your answer, including all the financial stuff, that'd be kewl.. since there's a publisher and.. stuff =\ im ignorant ^_^ 

Edit: we're chit chatting on the mirc channel and the guys were like "this game costed 30 million and that game 70 million" i was like THE FUCK???  if it takes millions and millions to make a game, and only a few get enough popularity around the world to sell over a million copies, then most video games are financial disasters !!!  
 amirite ?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
"if it takes millions and millions to make a game, and only a few get enough popularity around the world to sell over a million copy, then most video games are financial disasters !!!   amirite ? "
Yep. That's why everything is part of a franchise these days.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Scooper

Most games these days cost millions and millions to create so people making them have to be extremely carefull in where they hedge their bets so that's why there are so many franchises these days and why ballsy new I.Ps with alot of character yet still high production values have to be commended. It was alot easier to make a crazy game 10 years ago then it is today.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#4  Edited By citizenkane

Just like a movie, it depends on how "big" you want the game to be.  For instance, Grand Theft Auto IV cost $100 million to make.  The typical game cost anywhere from $1 million to $20 million.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@CitizenKane said:
" Just like a movie, it depends on how "big" you want the game to be.  For instance, Grand Theft Auto IV cost $100 million to make.  The typical game cost anywhere from $1 million to $20 million. "
but the difference is that usually the movie is a success, even if it makes one million dollars more than its budget.. while with games, its the other way around: usually it fails cuz lets face it, only a bunch of games are bought widely all over the world, right ? 

Oh and about GTA IV .. though it absolutely fascinated me and i still play it, i dont see where the hell a million dollars went.. what needs so much money ?
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Hamst3r
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

i dont see where the hell a million dollars went.. what needs so much money ? "

It takes a lot of people and a lot of time to make all the art assets. Also, programmers to make the engine. Writers, Producers, Directors, etc. The licensing of middleware, music and other things. The voice actors. GTA 4 is a large game. I think marketing costs are also included in those numbers. It all adds up.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @CitizenKane said:
" Just like a movie, it depends on how "big" you want the game to be.  For instance, Grand Theft Auto IV cost $100 million to make.  The typical game cost anywhere from $1 million to $20 million. "
but the difference is that usually the movie is a success, even if it makes one million dollars more than its budget.."
Yes but the amount of movies that don't make that money back is huge. In a year, only a relatively small percentage will make a profit.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#8  Edited By citizenkane
@Ahmad_Metallic: Actually, most movies don't make a profit.  I heard a while ago(I don't know if it's still true today) that if  a studio puts out 10 movies in a year, 7 of those movies will lose money, 2 will break about even and 1, the studio's "blockbuster", will make enough profit to cover the losses of the other movies.

The % of movies that make a profit isn't as drastic as the only 4% of video games that make it into black ink, but it is still smaller than people think.
Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Griddler
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" we're chit chatting on the mirc channel and the guys were like "this game costed 30 million and that game 70 million" i was like THE FUCK???  if it takes millions and millions to make a game, and only a few get enough popularity around the world to sell over a million copies, then most video games are financial disasters !!!   amirite ? "
Well that's not true. Assassin's Creed 2 is costing $20 million. And that's pretty much as high as it gets. But yeah, that's huge.
belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By belaraphon

advertising alone is crazy expensive. not to mention all of the other game related promotion that should factor into the price.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11  Edited By Suicrat

Now do you understand why publishers want to cut out the middleman and are pursuing digital distribution?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Diamond
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" (Just out of curiousity) How much money does it take for developers to create a good game? all the art and design and the workers that get paid and .............  whats the average budget ? If you can detail your answer, including all the financial stuff, that'd be kewl.. since there's a publisher and.. stuff =\ im ignorant ^_^   Edit: we're chit chatting on the mirc channel and the guys were like "this game costed 30 million and that game 70 million" i was like THE FUCK???  if it takes millions and millions to make a game, and only a few get enough popularity around the world to sell over a million copies, then most video games are financial disasters !!!   amirite ? "
You don't necessarily need to sell a million copies of a game though, remember, games usually cost $50-$60.  It seems to me the average cost of development is probably around $10-$20 million.  I expect some games are quite a bit lower, but the cheapest download stuff is probably still a few $100K (like $300K min).
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Karmum

I'd say it depends on different factors. The amount of resources you buy to build the game, advertising, etc.

Big time projects soar into the millions -- an indie project would be relatively less.