#1 Edited by ikilledthedj (279 posts) -

So lately ive been active on the forums quite a bit due to being able to access the site at work again, however i cant help but feel i could be posting to much? Its like seeing my name at the top of a leader board but not to win anything.

I'm only ever posting if i feel like i can add something to the thread so im not going around trolling duders just dont wana be "that" guy.

What do you guys do? Just post away and be carefree? I guess i just dont want to clog up the boards with meaningless shit like this post but also be part of the community ive been here since day one but never been big on the forums.

I'm also a terrible speller ;)

#2 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4184 posts) -

I never notice your name. Honestly, since you're new, I think I've started to see you a bit more. You seem fine.

#3 Posted by erhard (397 posts) -

Try not caring.

#4 Posted by ikilledthedj (279 posts) -

I never notice your name.

its all in my head isn't it

#5 Posted by joshwent (2156 posts) -

I'm only ever posting if i feel like i can add something to the thread so im not going around trolling duders just dont wana be "that" guy.

Yep, that's just about it. Dumb shit is the fuel of Giant Bomb, but when you see a more serious thread, just tone it down. And of course, no empty quoting, no pointless "lol" comments, and when in doubt, just don't be a jerk.

Post on, poster!

#6 Posted by Clonedzero (4194 posts) -

Post away dude. Nothing wrong with it. Just don't be a dick.

#7 Posted by ShaggE (6399 posts) -

As long as you aren't shitposting "lol"s and such, I've never seen anybody care about heavy posting on any forum I've been to. I know that feeling, though.

#8 Posted by Humanity (9006 posts) -
#9 Posted by ikilledthedj (279 posts) -
#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#11 Posted by Spoonman671 (4587 posts) -

Stop dicking around on Giant bomb and get back to work.

#12 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3177 posts) -

Always be posting duder.

#13 Edited by laserbolts (5317 posts) -

These forums remain active because of people like you so keep posting as much as you want. I wouldn't worry about it.

#14 Edited by zombiepenguin9 (533 posts) -

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Post counts aren't that important.

#15 Posted by Vuud (1944 posts) -

This is the internet, this is why it exists.

#16 Edited by wjb (1653 posts) -

"How can we be expected to know who you are when you haven't even cracked 10000 posts? I don't want to hear your excuses! Your post count needs to be at least.........................three times bigger than what you have."

#17 Posted by MattyFTM (14363 posts) -

You should be fine as long as you don't use the forums as twitter to post every inane thing that happened to you today, or to post every funny picture/video you stumbled across on the internet. Posts need to have discussion value, they shouldn't be about how you had a cheeseburger for lunch. But if you just won a cheeseburger eating contest and are officially the world champion eater of cheeseburgers, that would be a pretty cool thread. Not that you have to be a world champion cheeseburger eater to have something worthy of discussion to say, but you get my point.

Basically, if you have something to say and it has discussion value, say it. And don't be a jerk. That's rule number one, but that should go without saying.

#18 Posted by csl316 (8339 posts) -

Don't you wanna be on top of the yearly data statistics post??

#19 Posted by Slag (4221 posts) -

@ikilledthedj: I'm sure you're fine. If you're worried about it, focus on the quality of your responses instead of the quantity.

Forums are meant to be posted in afterall, it's kinda nice to have some readily recognizable regular posters.

#20 Posted by Nadril (526 posts) -

No one really cares, just post when you feel like it. I was the top of the post count for another (un-named) forums and even after being away for like 2+ years I think I still am the top. I don't think anyone really ever cared that I was one way or another.

#21 Posted by Gruebacca (510 posts) -

It's not a bad thing to post a lot, but don't post about everything you see. A good post has some weight to it. Don't post 9 threads about 9 different things and only offer a sentence on each matter. What you are doing in the forums is creating a discussion, and if you can come up with 9 good primers for discussion in a day, then more power to you.

#22 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

I had every thread on the front page of Off-Topic with a last reply from me once.

#23 Edited by Pr1mus (3855 posts) -

As long as you don't start posting 12 polls a days about subjects as diverse as "which side do you put the toilet paper roll" or "pulp or no pulp" we cool.

No pulp by the way.

#24 Posted by PandaBear (1344 posts) -

asdfghjkl;'

etc.

#25 Edited by Rick_Fingers (524 posts) -

Don't be a dick and don't be a fanboy and you'll be fine.

#26 Posted by Zalrus9 (107 posts) -

As long as you're not an A-hole, it'll be fine! Even be a fanboy as long as you're not an asshole about it

#27 Posted by SSully (4147 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07 said:

I never notice your name.

its all in my head isn't it

Totally is. I notice most users by their avatar anyways. Even if you post a lot, it doesnt matter. That's what we are here to do, right?

#28 Posted by RonGalaxy (3058 posts) -

I often take a good amount of time to compose comments/threads (I reread what I write a bunch while writing. fuck rough drafts). Since I take my time, I'll get to a point where I stop caring about the topic/comment altogether, leading me to abandon it. I feel this does a decent job of filtering the quantity and quality of my posts.

So ask yourself before, during, or after you are writing a comment/post/response/thread/etc "do I really care enough about this to tell other people?"

Honestly, it's hard to go overboard with commenting, unless you're being crazy and posting like every other comment. I'd be more weary of making threads. Make sure no one has started a similar topic recently (I check 5 or so pages back to be sure) and set a limit for how many you make. For me, making more than 5 threads a week is a bit much. That isn't a set rule, but I think it's courteous to moderators and helps set a quality standard for threadmaking

Final points: don't be a douche, don't antagonize people, and have a sense of humor. Debating is (mostly) allowed by the moderators, but don't go overboard; IMO you might as well be arguing to a brick wall. You can always message the mods if you have an issue (you can request to have your own threads closed if you think things have gone too far).

Most of all have fun. And when someone says Brad is leaving, it is 100% accurate.

#29 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -
#30 Posted by 49th (2722 posts) -

Just post whenever you want, no one really cares.

#31 Posted by CynicalBuzzard (240 posts) -

Just post like you want to, I do not notice your username that much really.