How much is too much? Forum Etiquette

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ikilledthedj

So lately ive been active on the forums quite a bit due to being able to access the site at work again, however i cant help but feel i could be posting to much? Its like seeing my name at the top of a leader board but not to win anything.

I'm only ever posting if i feel like i can add something to the thread so im not going around trolling duders just dont wana be "that" guy.

What do you guys do? Just post away and be carefree? I guess i just dont want to clog up the boards with meaningless shit like this post but also be part of the community ive been here since day one but never been big on the forums.

I'm also a terrible speller ;)

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

I never notice your name. Honestly, since you're new, I think I've started to see you a bit more. You seem fine.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Try not caring.

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never notice your name.

its all in my head isn't it

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm only ever posting if i feel like i can add something to the thread so im not going around trolling duders just dont wana be "that" guy.

Yep, that's just about it. Dumb shit is the fuel of Giant Bomb, but when you see a more serious thread, just tone it down. And of course, no empty quoting, no pointless "lol" comments, and when in doubt, just don't be a jerk.

Post on, poster!

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Post away dude. Nothing wrong with it. Just don't be a dick.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

As long as you aren't shitposting "lol"s and such, I've never seen anybody care about heavy posting on any forum I've been to. I know that feeling, though.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stop dicking around on Giant bomb and get back to work.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Always be posting duder.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By laserbolts

These forums remain active because of people like you so keep posting as much as you want. I wouldn't worry about it.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By emprpngn

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Post counts aren't that important.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the internet, this is why it exists.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By wjb

"How can we be expected to know who you are when you haven't even cracked 10000 posts? I don't want to hear your excuses! Your post count needs to be at least.........................three times bigger than what you have."

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#17 MattyFTM  Moderator

You should be fine as long as you don't use the forums as twitter to post every inane thing that happened to you today, or to post every funny picture/video you stumbled across on the internet. Posts need to have discussion value, they shouldn't be about how you had a cheeseburger for lunch. But if you just won a cheeseburger eating contest and are officially the world champion eater of cheeseburgers, that would be a pretty cool thread. Not that you have to be a world champion cheeseburger eater to have something worthy of discussion to say, but you get my point.

Basically, if you have something to say and it has discussion value, say it. And don't be a jerk. That's rule number one, but that should go without saying.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Don't you wanna be on top of the yearly data statistics post??

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@ikilledthedj: I'm sure you're fine. If you're worried about it, focus on the quality of your responses instead of the quantity.

Forums are meant to be posted in afterall, it's kinda nice to have some readily recognizable regular posters.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one really cares, just post when you feel like it. I was the top of the post count for another (un-named) forums and even after being away for like 2+ years I think I still am the top. I don't think anyone really ever cared that I was one way or another.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not a bad thing to post a lot, but don't post about everything you see. A good post has some weight to it. Don't post 9 threads about 9 different things and only offer a sentence on each matter. What you are doing in the forums is creating a discussion, and if you can come up with 9 good primers for discussion in a day, then more power to you.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had every thread on the front page of Off-Topic with a last reply from me once.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pr1mus

As long as you don't start posting 12 polls a days about subjects as diverse as "which side do you put the toilet paper roll" or "pulp or no pulp" we cool.

No pulp by the way.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

asdfghjkl;'

etc.

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rick_Fingers

Don't be a dick and don't be a fanboy and you'll be fine.

Zalrus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as you're not an A-hole, it'll be fine! Even be a fanboy as long as you're not an asshole about it

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@blu3v3nom07 said:

I never notice your name.

its all in my head isn't it

Totally is. I notice most users by their avatar anyways. Even if you post a lot, it doesnt matter. That's what we are here to do, right?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I often take a good amount of time to compose comments/threads (I reread what I write a bunch while writing. fuck rough drafts). Since I take my time, I'll get to a point where I stop caring about the topic/comment altogether, leading me to abandon it. I feel this does a decent job of filtering the quantity and quality of my posts.

So ask yourself before, during, or after you are writing a comment/post/response/thread/etc "do I really care enough about this to tell other people?"

Honestly, it's hard to go overboard with commenting, unless you're being crazy and posting like every other comment. I'd be more weary of making threads. Make sure no one has started a similar topic recently (I check 5 or so pages back to be sure) and set a limit for how many you make. For me, making more than 5 threads a week is a bit much. That isn't a set rule, but I think it's courteous to moderators and helps set a quality standard for threadmaking

Final points: don't be a douche, don't antagonize people, and have a sense of humor. Debating is (mostly) allowed by the moderators, but don't go overboard; IMO you might as well be arguing to a brick wall. You can always message the mods if you have an issue (you can request to have your own threads closed if you think things have gone too far).

Most of all have fun. And when someone says Brad is leaving, it is 100% accurate.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Just post whenever you want, no one really cares.

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just post like you want to, I do not notice your username that much really.