How Much Privacy Will We Have Next Gen?

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Poll How Much Privacy Will We Have Next Gen? (62 votes)

All of it! 6%
Hello, here are my purchasing habits for the month. Thanks for the console, and enjoy that data! 32%
Wait a second. Did I just hear a click? 16%
I'm Winston Smith and I approve of this message 11%
Who knows, Microsoft and Sony don't seem to want to talk about that stuff. 34%
 • 
Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It'll just be purchasing data and stuff. Hell, amazon, steam, facebook, everyone does it. Its gross, but its the world we live in.

People paranoid about microsoft watching them with the kinect are kinda crazy.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clonedzero: Why do you think they're crazy? I think it's important stuff to address at the very least.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By zeforgotten

All of it!

-If we decide to stop using any software currently popular.

So I guess, new consoles, browsers like Chrome,(FireFox, Opera, IE, whatever), Skype, MSN, ICQ(Is that still a thing?).. Facebook, Vine, Twitter, google.com, spotify, netflix... I can keep going if people really want to feel paranoid? .. Windows? totally being monitored.. Linux stuff? Yup.. Apples whateverthatOSiscalled? Being watched as well.
Steam.. Origin.. Uplay.. plugins for your browser... your internet connection.. your phone.. your fridge.. your car.. phone.. smartphone, your old Nokia 3310...
Tablets.. ,zZ

Am I depressing anyone yet?

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

They already track how you use current consoles, it helps them figure out where to spend time/money to improve the features being used and what they sell and how they sell it. There not going to improve how people view photos if only %2 of people use it for a total of 5mins. And im sure Giant Bomb is gathering similar info to improve the content on the site and the site itself.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vote with your wallet. Play video games naked.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

We already don't have any.

#thanksobama

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vote with your wallet. Play video games naked.

But i dont have a meat wallet!

KentonClay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you get reported too many times, instead of your account just getting banned, your username is replaced by your real name, phone number and home address.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

All of it... because you aren't forced to buy any of it.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By JasonR86

NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'll take all of the privacy, please! Yeah, I'm having some friends over and they've never tried it before and I told them they had to so here I am! Ahahaha! Okay, you have a nice day now. Bye.

Alekss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Alekss

Having a Xbox one with Kinect connected at all times is not the same as having your phone monitored. And that's because with phones, e-mails, skype, etc I can control what I say and how I act. And stuff like Facebook and twitter is public so even more so.

Also, as I said in other topics, when it comes to webcams not only that I can disconnect them when I'm not talking to someone on a PC, but I also know enough about computers to at least have some asurance that there is not a software constantly sending information, so even with a laptop or MAC I would still feel ok. If someone really wanted to spy on me I bet they could do it, but at least webcams don't come with terms of use that say they have the right to collect info about you (just read the microsoft kinect terms of use).

WIth XBox one I don't know how it works and when its sending info about me and the fact that the current kinect has stuff like that in terms of use is even scarier. But worse is that with kinect they will see my entire room, and it also needs to be powered on EVERYTIME I turn on the console. So if I want to play a game in the morning in my underwear, I first need to put some clothes on, while playing I can't pick my nose if I want to and so on. And what if I have a girl watching a movie and then we start doing something else? I need to go turn that thing off.

I know I am probably a bit paranoid about how much info kinect actually collects, but we can never know. It will probably be immaculate at first, but what about 5 years in? Why should we trust that a corporation has the best interest in us when that is clearly not the case?

Oh, have you read the news about that guy that was arested after the Boston incidents because he said something on facebook? Get ready to have that happen in your house. It may not happen in the next 5 years, hell may not even happen with kinect, but we are getting there.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know, but I'm going to whisper around my Xbox just in case.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no idea, it's not like Sony or Microsoft are going to make it public about the types of information they gather and who they disclose that to. As long as when I check my bank statement to see the exact amount of money I left in it a day ago and my inbox isn't flooded with advertisements then I don't have a big problem with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a995178e28eb
deactivated-5a995178e28eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Kinect watches you on the couch. Everything you did. Think about it.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a lot of information shared through social media nowadays that are collected and have value for the sole purpose of marketing, so I'm not surprised that next-gen consoles are taking greater strides to gather as much data as possible from the player.

I don't think it'll necessarily affect privacy any more negatively than recent social media trends. I also don't think it's the "fault" of either Microsoft or Sony ; I feel like this would be the natural reaction to the recent trends in big data.

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Let's say Microsoft actually wants to watch our gaming habits or "o" faces or what have you through the Kinect. You think they want to pay for all that bandwidth to watch millions of gangly teenagers play video games for hours on end? I feel that's such a long shot that I'm not upset about a required Kinect. It is, however, probably something they need to be careful about, especially when the first news story breaks of someone's Kinect getting hacked and sending out the footage.

The one things I'm upset about is how achievements are going to become more dynamic. I'm sure it'll be the one thing kind of cool that, once opened up, corporations will make a disaster very quickly.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

XBone knows when you're masturbating...

chobobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@torrim said:

Let's say Microsoft actually wants to watch our gaming habits or "o" faces or what have you through the Kinect. You think they want to pay for all that bandwidth to watch millions of gangly teenagers play video games for hours on end? I feel that's such a long shot that I'm not upset about a required Kinect. It is, however, probably something they need to be careful about, especially when the first news story breaks of someone's Kinect getting hacked and sending out the footage.

The one things I'm upset about is how achievements are going to become more dynamic. I'm sure it'll be the one thing kind of cool that, once opened up, corporations will make a disaster very quickly.

Do you know how much all that data is worth is the marketing world? A lot. All the information that companies such as Facebook, Google, Amazon, Apple etc., hold are extremely valuable to third-party businesses. Why do you think when you sign forms, you see at the end a tick-box option to opt-out of passing personal information to third-parties businesses that are associated with the company you are buying things from?