How to approach the GB staff about news?

LordAmpersand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LordAmpersand

In a matter of days my new LLC will be launching a site that I hope will revolutionize how we approach the concept of game modding. There has been a significant amount of interest from the industry already, but I'd be most comfortable talking to the guys I've been watching/reading for many years. What's the best way to grab their attention, to see if they'd be interested in covering the launch?

I'm trying to make sure I follow the community rules by not plugging the actual site or project, but it's a doozy. :)

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Email them. Tweet them. Send them a silly, themed hamper. Set a banner up opposite their building. Dedicate a song to them on the radio. I'm sure one of those things will work.

LordAmpersand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: I like the hamper idea best, but I have more access to e-mail. I'm not the most prolific Twitter-er, but I'm being advised that I pretty much will have to be. :P Do I just use the "support" e-mail? It's the only one I could find listed. Then again, I don't tend to go anywhere on this site except for these forums, and the articles/videos on the front page. Despite long viewership, I kinda suck at knowing my way around.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By joshwent

@lordampersand: You should google something like "Press Kit Resources for Indie Devs". Lots of successful devs have generously spelled out and in some cases even made free the resources and methods they use to promote their games. Obviously, your's is a site, but in terms of contacting games coverage outlets, I'd imagine the process to be pretty similar.

As a general rule, though, keep it short and sweet. These editors sift through hundreds of emails a day, so if you send an e-mail that's a 10 page essay on how amazing your thing is... they'll probably just not read it at all.

Good luck with your venture!

(I hope it has paid mod support) ;)

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Put something wrestling related in the subject line then BAM! It's a trap.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly man, you may be a hundred percent legit, but your use of the term "revolutionize" and the fact that you are claiming all this industry interest in you, but are giving an excuse for specifically why you want GiantBomb's attention makes you sound suspect. I'm betting that the guys at GiantBomb hear that kind of sales pitch every day and are more likely than not prepared to ignore it.

If you have something so great, send them the information to see the link/project and they will take it from there.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its cool, I can summon brad for you.

Sim sim salabimmmmmmmmmm

That didnt work.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Email or PM Rorie.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@alexw00d said:

Email them. Tweet them. Send them a silly, themed hamper. Set a banner up opposite their building. Dedicate a song to them on the radio. I'm sure one of those things will work.

haha I'm sure they'd love having all that being sent their way all at once!

Real talk though, Giant Bomb covers what Giant Bomb wants to cover.

christamofo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#12 chaser324  Moderator

@lordampersand: I'm pretty sure the support email address is not where you want to direct this sort of message. I can't recall off the top of my head what the correct one is though...maybe 'tips@giantbomb.com'?

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By planetfunksquad

@lordampersand: I don't know about how to contact them butRami Ismail's presskit() could come in handy for you to create a package to send to publications. I'm sure bigger sites would respond better to a professionally put together press page than a random "yo dude I'm doing this thing, check it out!" email. Maybe PM @rorie and ask him? He's pretty good with responses, dude works hard for us and I'm sure he reads everything he gets.

Either way I'm super interested to see what you have cooking and I hope you get some coverage!

EDIT: forgot the link to presskit()

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If there really has been "a significant amount of interest from the industry already", then chances are they probably already know about it.

Also, if you have been following the site, you'd know the most relevant person to contact has the mark of the Beast.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Be at E3?

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Send an email with subject line "Domino's opening in Petaluma"

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

What you are describing doesn't sound like anything this site would cover. The news that is shared here is usually very editorialized. If you are the real deal like you claim, then you will get coverage in time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

REVOLUTIONARY

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By RonGalaxy

@lordampersand: unless whatever you're working on is an already established thing (something that lots of people are already aware of) and you have something to announce, I doubt GB would cover it. Imagine if in the early days of occulus palmer lucky emailed the guys to get coverage. Sure, occulus is a huge thing now, but it wasn't always. So, if you want to get covered on this site I would further establish your project.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You don't.

Make a post about it on the forums, hopefully it'll pick up steam by itself. But if you're counting on the participation of the crew, that's not going to happen. They don't listen to their userbase in that way. Or in any from what I can recall. I love this site, but the guys do their own thing, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. If you really want to get some feedback from one of 'em in particular, then send a message to said person, Drew or Rorie are most like to respond ( and know their PC modding), and then just maybe they'll opt to cover your thing if they feel like it, and lack other things to cover that week.

I hate to be so cynical about it, but it is what it is.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By forteexe21

Print your PR release send it to them with a pizza while its still hot. That made them read the Medal of Honor patch list on air!

planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By planetary
forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'm gonna be up front, and honest with you. Not because I'm trying to be mean, or dash your hopes and dreams, but rather because it's true.

They don't care about your site, and no matter how many emails or twitter mentions you send them they won't become more interested.

The best way for you to make them care is to make a great site and build your own community. People will then talk. When people talk Giant Bomb hears it too, and if they then care about it they will talk about it.

But let's be real. They won't care about your site just because you tried to sell them on it. It just isn't going to happen.

Heather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By Heather

@alexw00d said:

Email them. Tweet them. Send them a silly, themed hamper.

I think that's good advice. Just give it a shot and don't be rude. Sometimes asking nicely goes a long way.